Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes...

I recently bought a 1999 G20t, Black exterior with tan leather interior. I carried it immediately to my local sound shop and started work on a project until he told me to do anything I would have to gut the entire system. I freaked out! He told me I would have to replace HU, Speakers, the whole 9 yards. I don't believe this, especially after reading this forum so much. So there's the background and here's my questions....

1) I have an Eclipse deck and in dash changer that I want to use. Can I use it with my stock speakers?

2) What size are the speakers all around?

3) If I did replace all the the speakers and HU would I need to run my own wiring or will the stock wiring work?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chris

·
Registered
539 Posts
Audio system

Your guy at the stereo shop is right. I also own a 99 G20t, it comes from the factory with a Bose sound system. The bose should be pretty awesome to begin with... If You want to change the head unit, you will need to replace the bose speakers in the car, because bose speakers can only work with a Bose deck and the preamp in the trunk... You can keep all the interior stuff including the head unit and get the special high to low converter so that you can put an amp and subs in the trunk. That is what I did, and with my Kicker 1252xi amplfier pumpin' my 2 JL Audio 12 w4's I get some pretty kickin' sound. Yes, the sound would be much better if I change the deck and interior speakers, but I think that you will find the sound is pretty decent with the Bose and some nice subs.:asian:

·
Registered
539 Posts
high to low converter...

You've never heard of a high to low converter for a stereo system?? You can run amplifiers from 2 different inputs. High input (speaker wire straight to the amp, which most amps these days do not have as it is a thing of the past), or low input (RCA type that all amps have) Bose Audio requires a specific type of high to low converter that I found Bedford Sound Concepts in Bedford, NY. the phone number is (914)244-0900. They don't have any in stock, but they can order them. Basically you tap off of the speaker wires and go to the converter, then the converter has RCA out to the Amplifier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Specifics....

Sure I have heard of a high to low converter, it takes a signal from speaker level input (300) and transforms it into an RCA level (75). I suppose I didn't articulate my reply well, what I should have asked was what makes this one from Bedford Sound Concepts special? What's different about the Bose sound system that requires this particular transformer as opposed to one I can buy at any local audio store? I'm really curious because if this will work this might be the perfect solution... any idea on price?

Thanks a bunch for all the help!

Chris

·
Registered
562 Posts
uhhh I don't think a High-to-Low converter is necessary...I am using stock amplifier and stock speakers in my car. I have a Alpine HU and a Alpine Changer. I heard you have to change everything but I looked around. I found that they sell this line level thingy that plugs onto the factory harness and then simply reconnect to the HU harness via buttconnector or solder. This box isn't cheap. I bought it for $70 I believe...it has been a long time....DO NOT BUY A CHEAP KIND. My first one I totally melted the resistors and this new one I got works alot better and can control each lines output level. The reason for this box is because the Bose system is externally amplified and that it will make too much sound with alittle volume....Say your HU starts off at 0 to 30 as Volume level. Just turning it up to 2 or 3 and your system is already loud....Now thats sensitive. With this line leveler you can reduce the output within the lines. After that you can adjust it by leaving the HU at 20 Volume and start adjusting all the levels on the box converter thingy...Its sounds complicated but it can be done....You will also have to buy a AM/FM antenna adapter which is only like $7 because Bose antenna connector is not the typical Motorola type....I will take a picture of it later but chargine my camera right now

·
Registered
539 Posts
high to low

I am no expert on this stuff, but I am pretty certain that Bose runs a very low level input, so as TY423 described his new deck being very sensitive to low volumes and melting resisters and stuff. This special high to low must amplify the sign at the converter to the amp, therefore not running any risk of frying anything...

·
Registered
138 Posts
fireguysc said:
Ok, here goes...

I recently bought a 1999 G20t, Black exterior with tan leather interior. I carried it immediately to my local sound shop and started work on a project until he told me to do anything I would have to gut the entire system. I freaked out! He told me I would have to replace HU, Speakers, the whole 9 yards. I don't believe this, especially after reading this forum so much. So there's the background and here's my questions....

1) I have an Eclipse deck and in dash changer that I want to use. Can I use it with my stock speakers?

2) What size are the speakers all around?

3) If I did replace all the the speakers and HU would I need to run my own wiring or will the stock wiring work?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chris
Answers:

1) yes you can, but you can't run the speakers right off the eclipse HU unless it has power and its 2 ohm stable because the stock bose speakers are 2 ohms. if it isn't 2 ohm stable, which its most likely not, you gotta run it off the stock bose amp via bose to aftermarket deck harness from www.autotoys.com or get all new 4 ohm speakers all around, then it'll be possible to run directly off the HU.

2) i believe they're 6.5's, if i'm not mistaken.

3) i'd reccomend re-running your own wires, that way, you know for sure everything is correctly wired right, instead of trying to figure out which wire is which, and risk wiring them out of phase and whatnot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts