·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I've got four choices right now and I need some help narrowing it down:

Option 1:
2000-01 Infiniti G20tA
Pros: It's a G20. 'Nuff said
Cons: very hard to find black/black with low miles (my local Infiniti dealer laughed when I asked if they could find one), less power than other choices,what was Nissan thinking when they dropped the dual power seats?

Option 2:
2001 Infiniti I30
Pros: power, more space than G20
Cons: doesn't handle as well as G20, touring package hard to find

Option 3:
2000-01 Lexus ES300
Pros: quiet, extremely reliable
Cons: boring, doesn't handle as well as G20

Option 4:
2000 Mercedes C280 Sport
Pros: good handling, fun to drive, good power
Cons: sucks in snow, potentially expensive to maintain

Major repair costs are not an issue because no matter what I buy I will be buying an extended warranty. All of them have similar gas mileage (P11 slightly better obviously). Insurance costs are all pretty reasonable. So now I need your help to narrow this list. Tell me which two of these cars you prefer and why.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh wait I forgot one option (and this is the craziest one).

Option 5:
KEEP THE P10
Get a full mechanical/cosmetic restoratiion done on my P10.
Cost:??? I will have to see if this is even feasible.

And some of you may ask "Where's the Y34 M45 on this list?". I wish it could be on the list, but insuring it would cost me 50% more than an I30/35 or Lexus ES and they haven't come down in price quite far enough yet for me to afford one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd go with option 5, spend as little as possible while still keeping her in good shape and drive the car as far as she'll take you.

If the reason you're even asking the question is that you want more power, option 1 isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Doing a full mechanical and cosmetic rebuild on your current G does not make financial sense. You could get the car repainted for under $1000 if you did a lot of the prep work yourself and took it to some place like Maaco.

I find Toyotas / Lexus boring, and the styling quirky. But they are reliable.

I30/35 is a great car but it's just a little too family sedanish.

Are you not wanting a manual transmission? If this is not the case, I would get a low mileage 2002 G20 Sport with the 5-speed trans. These are much nicer to drive than the automatics.

Mitsubishi Diamante VR-6?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you looking for a comparable car to a G, then I recommend:
2000 and up
Acura TL (TYPE-S, if you can afford it)
Comparable MPG & handling.
Larger engine (3.2L V6) = more power stock
Very nice! :drool:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jjacob said:
Doing a full mechanical and cosmetic rebuild on your current G does not make financial sense. You could get the car repainted for under $1000 if you did a lot of the prep work yourself and took it to some place like Maaco.

I find Toyotas / Lexus boring, and the styling quirky. But they are reliable.

I30/35 is a great car but it's just a little too family sedanish.

Are you not wanting a manual transmission? If this is not the case, I would get a low mileage 2002 G20 Sport with the 5-speed trans. These are much nicer to drive than the automatics.

Mitsubishi Diamante VR-6?
My car doesn't need a repaint, the paint is in great shape (look at my cardomain page and see). The cosmetic work would mostly consist of a heavy detail job and going around the car with a bottle of touch up paint. And yes, I am looking for an automatic. I can drive a 5-speed but noone else in my family can drive it well.

Acura TLs are great cars but the transmissions suck on the 00-03 models and with an 11 hour drive from Boston to Williamsburg it's a risk I don't want to take. I'll probably look at an IS300 or two, but the rear wheel drive is a negative because of snow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
{-_-} said:
I think Traction Control is standard on the IS. Dont know how well it performs.
My wife drives in IS300. It's seen snow once and when it did it sucked. I have a friend in Colorado with one and we got quite a scare when we hit a small patch of ice. It is otherwise a *really* nice car. The TL will be a better snow-country car.

If all your P10 needs is a detail job and some paint touch-up and maybe scratch buffing, $500 should get your car looking brand new.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts