Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my G20 is a 93.5. I don't know anything about springs an shocks an struts an such, but i do know that bumps are getting worse an worse in my car. also, if im on the highway sometimes my right front wheel sounds like it's going over a rumble strip. On another thread they said it was my struts. anyone wanna tell me what's underneath my car for suspension an how much new struts run?

thanks
:smoke: 1

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
De Ja Vu! Welcome! Well, here is a start. The KYB GR2's are an excellent upgrade to OEM and the cost is very good. The KYB AGX's are a little pricey, but you get what you pay for and they are adjustable and tuneable to the style of driving you do.

I would opt for the GR2's if you just want to upgrade and replace the OEM struts/springs since they are worn.

Here is a start on pricing. You might be able to find cheaper. Don't know though!

http://inet.nopi.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspparts&vL1ID=0&makeid=160&modelid=010&catyear=1993&catid=0010&pcid=453&vTitle=1993 INFINITI G20 Suspension Shock/Strut

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'd go with the Kyb Shocks. Either the GR-2's or the AGX's models. Both are very good products. The GR-2's run about $250 without shipping from tirerack.com. The Kyb AGX's run about $400 without shipping from tirerack.com. As for springs you have a wide range to choose from. Some brands include Intrax, HKS, Ground Controls. Those are just some of the companies out there. It's up to you but I'd go with Kyb AGX's and Ground Controls. The Ground Controls are a bit expensive though. Good luck on getting a new suspension. Like I said earlier there are a lot more companies out there just look around and you'll find what you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While we are on the subject I have a few quesiotns also. I want to be able to lower my G and have good handling. I think I need coilovers, but what else? Would I need coilovers all around and new struts all around too?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You do not need coilovers to lower a car and gain better handling. Most coilover sets seem to be more tuned for individuals who will be autocrossing on the weekends, running tracks, etc. Depends on how much you want to spend, what type of driving you are doing most of the time and if you want a harsh ride, smooth, ride, bouncy ride, etc.

bouncy!! hehehe! He said bouncy!! uh huhuhuhuh uh hehehe! :lol: Sorry got off track!

If you are looking to lower you ride height and gain some performance, there are many options out there.
Need to give more details to what you are looking for and I am sure others will be able to give you more advice on your set-up!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Springs are shocks are all you need to lower your car. The term 'coilovers' are kind of misleading. Theorectically our suspension is already 'coilover' as in "spring coil over strut/shock". If you're talking about a height adjustible spring perch that's different.

I guess the common term for coilover suspension is with the height adjustible spring perch. So do you want height adjustiblility or not? :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
NismoPC said:
You do not need coilovers to lower a car and gain better handling. Most coilover sets seem to be more tuned for individuals who will be autocrossing on the weekends, running tracks, etc.
I'm going to disagree here somewhat. The problem with lowering springs is their rate is too low. The car bottoms out in this case.

I don't autocross at all and the only track driving I do is at the DE (driver education) event at the annual convention. Still, I would put my car or Kyle's car up against anyone else's here for ride quality (any car with aftermarket springs that is).

I would only consider aftermarket lowering springs a cosmetic mod. They do not really enhance performance. My SE-R has Prokits, but it will be getting Konis and GC coilovers.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
My handling improved tremendously when i went from the intrax springs to the ground control/agx setup. I think stock actually handled better than the intrax spring setup, as they were too low and too soft (just like Geo said). Ride quality also improved a TON when i went to stiffer springs too (this is not always the case though) as everything is matched up properly (thanks Kyle) and the car no longer bottomed out all the time, actually it doesn't at all now even though it's lowered =)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Geo said:
Still, I would put my car or Kyle's car up against anyone else's here for ride quality (any car with aftermarket springs that is).
I donno every time I take a ride in my buddies 99 G with the B+G spring/shock kit I'm very impressed. I'd say the street ride is better than even the TEIN. Of course I've never been in a GC/AGX G20. I should have taken a ride with Bumpus in Feb when I had the chance. :-\

Then again P11's have a lot more options for suspension kits. I'm thinking the JIC magic suspenion would be quite good. But it's more expensive.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Geo said:
I'm going to disagree here somewhat. The problem with lowering springs is their rate is too low. The car bottoms out in this case.
Geo,

Would you say that the Eibach Pro-kit/AGX GR2 combo is not a good street application? (I will assume the bump stop should be shortened to help with not bottoming out). The reason I am asking is because I was planning on this set-up sometime this spring/summer. Come on, don't let me down on this. :confused:

It doesn't seem logical that a person who wants to improve the handling of their car for street use would have to spend such a large amount of money to do it.

For approx. $530 (if you can still find the P10 Eibachs) you would have this set-up if installed as a DIY weekend job. What would be the least expensive, good quality coilovers w/adjustables or coilovers w/non-adjustables be running someone?

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Geo said:

I don't autocross at all and the only track driving I do is at the DE (driver education) event at the annual convention. Still, I would put my car or Kyle's car up against anyone else's here for ride quality (any car with aftermarket springs that is).

I would only consider aftermarket lowering springs a cosmetic mod. They do not really enhance performance. My SE-R has Prokits, but it will be getting Konis and GC coilovers.
Ok, I've got to go with Geo on this one! Though it's true that you don't have to get adjustable "coil overs" to have a nice ride in a car that is lowered.. but find a solution out there that is cost effective for a P10 or P11? The only way I know of doing this is to goto a spring maker and have them custom make you a set of springs.. big bucks. Also, you have to know the exact stiffness you want the springs and length.. also will they be progressive? Do you want them progressive, and do you have 20 + buddies that want the same thing?

As for the matter of existing products and ride quality, I've riden in and driven a P10 with Eibach Prokits and GAB's (same as AGX's). The car rode rougher than my G20 with GAB's and GC's, and it bottomed out! Same goes for Sprintline springs (I believe that's the brand name). As well as Intrax.. ah hell, Intrax I think was the worse (Justin's old setup)..

Other than the JIC's, and the SHigSpeed setup, I haven't personally seen anything else that will give me the kind of ride quality and handling increase I'm looking for.

I have not riden in a JIC equip'd car, but I have driven a SHigSpeed equip'd P10. I'm just guessing from the look of quality of the JIC that they will work well. Time will have to tell on that one.

"and that's all I have to say about that"

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you live in a snowy area and are driving your car through the winter do not get coilovers. Road salt/sand will chew them up. They are designed for warm climmates. If you want to lower you ride do it with a lowering kit, and shocks, and a chamber kit.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
jammin unit said:
If you live in a snowy area and are driving your car through the winter do not get coilovers. Road salt/sand will chew them up. They are designed for warm climmates. If you want to lower you ride do it with a lowering kit, and shocks, and a chamber kit.
I'm not sure I agree with this? Ground Control units I know for a fact come with anodyzed aluminum collars and lower spring perch adjusters.. as well as powder coated springs.. that's better than most stock stuff.. which is only painted..
So how can getting coil overs be bad in poor weather?

·
Registered
47 Posts
G-Forces said:

I donno every time I take a ride in my buddies 99 G with the B+G spring/shock kit I'm very impressed. I'd say the street ride is better than even the TEIN. Of course I've never been in a GC/AGX G20. I should have taken a ride with Bumpus in Feb when I had the chance. :-\

at the time, i had my blizzaks on the g.. and those don't do any justice to the suspension. is there still going to be a g20 meet up around your parts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
G20-Budo said:

I'm not sure I agree with this? Ground Control units I know for a fact come with anodyzed aluminum collars and lower spring perch adjusters.. as well as powder coated springs.. that's better than most stock stuff.. which is only painted..
So how can getting coil overs be bad in poor weather?
Dude, you live in Arizona, Get what ever you want. they'll never see snow, salt, sand, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
help me out- reply

After talking with my buddy at a dealer. He told me the rear struts run $162.86/each. The Front Shocks run $67.45 each.
You can Email him at [email protected]. They give some great deals to us internet people

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
bump909 said:

at the time, i had my blizzaks on the g.. and those don't do any justice to the suspension. is there still going to be a g20 meet up around your parts?
Yup I'll keep everyone posted. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
About the JIC's, im wondering if i need the ability to change the dampning (SA-1)...........if i dont really need it, i'd rather just get the SA-1...........what do you guys think??

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
jammin unit said:
Dude, you live in Arizona, Get what ever you want. they'll never see snow, salt, sand, right?
Ah, you didn't answer my question..

"Ground Control units I know for a fact come with anodyzed aluminum collars and lower spring perch adjusters.. as well as powder coated springs.. that's better than most stock stuff.. which is only painted..
So how can getting coil overs be bad in poor weather"

The reason I'm stating this is.. I saw Scott Higashi's Ground Control caster/camber plates during the convention.. he web ahead and pollished them.. I was like.. cool, so was it pretty easy to get the anodyzing off? He said "hell no!". The anodyzing that GC uses is thick and tough. Again, this and the powder coating on the Eibach ERS springs is good stuff too. Better than the stock spring perch's.. which are simply painted.

I'd be willing to bet that the rest of your car will start rusting around the GC setup!!

Can you refute any of what I've said? With any kind of facts? Or is this just your opinion?

·
Registered
102 Posts
do kyb have a warrenty? becuase the guy at this shop in my town said he has had alot of problems wiith them leacking ect..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts