Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone,

problem, my 93 g20 keeps shutting off. The battery was dead so i jumped it, and it ran for about 20 minutes idling, then i backed it out of the driveway, drove it back in, and let it idle for about 10 minutes more. Then it just shut off completely, almost like there was a fuel cutoff. It has done this before that's why I didn't take it further than my driveway. Also, my automatic locking doors are locked shut, and the windows won't roll up, even when the car was idling. What could cause this problem?

-g

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just a quick thought, check the hose under the intake boot. Mine fell of and left me stranded. I don't think that it would stop your electrical stuff from working though.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
the battery might just be dead or junk now, you should have it bench tested and possibly replaced. Autozone tests batteries for free. This is just a place to start, since you said it took to a jump. If you don't want to drive it anywhere, see if you can swap in a known working battery and see if that eliminates the problems.

Other items would be alternator...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Next time you have it running.....pull off the battery cables. If it dies then your alternator is shit.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
SleakG20 said:
Next time you have it running.....pull off the battery cables. If it dies then your alternator is shit.
NOOO!!! Never allow an alternator to run without a battery connected. If the alternator wasn't bad it has a good chance of being bad after doing this.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This sounds like your car is running off of the battery after you start it. Everything you posted leads to the diagnosis that your alternator is not charging the battery. The battery is only used to start the car. After it starts, the engine and everything else runs off of the alternator, which also then recharges the battery. If the alternator is not working, then power is pulled from the battery to run the engine.
When you jumped the battery you recharged it slightlly. As soon as the voltage in the battery dropped below a certain point, there was not enough voltage to energize the ignition system, so the engine died.

Jump the car again. While running, check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. Voltage should be 13.5 - 14.0 volts. If you see just 12 volts or less, then your alternator has failed.

Check the condition of your battery cable connection first. Dirty and corroded connections can cause this also. But the voltage test will really tell you whats going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx guys, i will try using a multimeter and let you all know if my alternators bad or not..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No that is not right. Alternators charge from idle speed on up. Older generators found in cars prior to 1964 or so did not charge much at idle speed, and the charging rate would ramp up considerably as RPM increased. This was one of the primary reasons that generators were eliminated in favor of alternators. Also, an alternator can have a much greater output for its size than a generator. A generator that could put out 100 amps would be huge.

Alternator output will increase as RPM increases, but there is plenty of output at idle to run the car and its accessories, and charge the battery.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Warning: Don't pull the battery cables off if you do not want to fry your on board computer and spend $800 replacing it!
Either swap batteries with a good one, or take the battery to autopart stores. Get a voltmeter and check the voltage of your battery. 12.75 v or better means your are full. 12.5 means half full. 12 or under means either bad or dead battery that needs to be charged either way take it to a battery or autopart store to have them check it and see if it is bad or just not being charged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts