Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question: will 93.5 to 96 non-lsd manual tranny fit in a 92 G20 MT frame even though the motor (high port/low port) is different?

The reason: there is 5th-gear pop out on my 92 G20 and I was able to find some 94/95 G20 non-lsd tranny.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
91-93 have a cable (that goes from the trans to the guage speedo head). 93.5-96 have an electronic sensor (from the trans and wiring to the guage cluster). The cable/sensor head/pinion at the trans is on top/rear over the differential (like behind and under the air intake) and sits very tightly in a well, sealed with an o-ring, kept in place by a 10 mm bolt (that also holds the connector on the electronic setup). The sender/sensor and the well, both aluminum, "grow together" (like corrode) and are next to impossible to get out without breaking the flange on them. I would suggest that you order a new trans cable sender/pinion (quite reasonable in cost) from Justin at everythingG20.com, you'll need it. If anybody has any trick to getting this item out, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lysander,

I have a 93.5, and was planning on buying a 93 tranny...What will I need to swap/replace for the 93 tranny to work in my 93.5??

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think the '93 has the older, non-electronic trans (look for the speedo cable and the cable that runs out the top of the trans to the throttle on the throttle body. This means different ECU and trans computers, I suspect. They went to the electronic trans in 93.5 with no speedo cable (has a sensor instead), nothing from the trans to the throttle body.

So, to put a '93 in a 93.5, you need the trans, ECU, trans computer, different throttle body, speedo cable, change the gage cluster, etc. and hope it works. I suggest you don't screw with it- find the right trans for the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lysander,

Thanks for the info. Ok, so your saying that it would be difficult to put a 91-93 tranny into a 93.5 to 96 g20 (but can easily put a 93.5-96 tranny into a 91-93 G20??)

Also, can it be possible that my 93.5 has the older 91-93 tranny? How do I tell? (I guess I can just check to see if I have an extra cable connected to the throttle body???)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't think you could make a newer electronic auto trans work in a 91-93 G. Be like converting an OBD-I car to OBD-II. Maybe you could swap out all the same parts listed from my other post from the 93.5 to the older 91-93. Sooner or later you're going to find some major wiring harness that is missing something you need. Helluva lotta work to maybe find out something won't function.

Yes, check to see if it has the cable running from the top of the trans to the throttle body. It will have 3 of those little cable pullies, two on top (throttle, Cruise control), and one underneath (for the trans). You can also tell as it will have a speedo cable coming out of the top/rear of the trans running up thru the firewall to the speedo head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts