Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I've gotten to the point where I need some help on my steering issue.

Here's my current specs on my alignment

Front left camber: -1
Front right camber: -1
Front toe left .05in
Front toe right .00in

Left rear camber -1.1
Right rear camber -1.8
Left rear toe .04in
Right rear toe .05in

Wheels are Konig Networks, 15x7's, Offset of 38.

I already see I need to get the right rear camber adjusted, which I will be getting taken care of on saturday morning. I also believe the toe needs to be adjusted, as almost every tire has a different toe setting.

Here's the puzzler, driving down the road when I accelerate, the more torque I get the car pulls left, when I let off the gas and decelerate or coast it pulls right (while the steering wheel stays straight mind you). And when I'm driving at a constant speed and straight the car randomly pulls left or right (can be felt in the car and in the wheel). The front end feels stiff but the rear end trails really bad it feels like. I know that could be due to the -1.8 of course, but does not solve the mushy/touchy steering.

Whats been done on the suspension:

Lower Control Arm Brace (Carbing)
New Axels w/ CV Boots
New Steering Rack w/ ES bushings
New Tie Rod Ends
New Ball Joints
Super Pro Camber Kit
New Tires (Kuhmo ASX's for daily driving, 205/50/r15)
Tires Balanced
Alignment (Obviously by specs above)

There is no whining in the PS system, there are no leaks under the car.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,940 Posts
whoa. um yea. you pretty much covered all of my suggestions. my only real guess is that maybe something (new) is bent?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MrFancypants said:
What tire pressures you running?

Your settings should result in rear total toe IN (~1/16" or so). Rear toe OUT will cause wandering on a FWD car.

Normally I would have expected a bad tie rod end but you've replaced both of them?



- Greg -
Yea, Kyle and I thought that too, I'm going to check the ball joints, their a year old (and their autozone ball joints) so they 'could' be the problem. I've had them on the car since last year when I did the super pro kit.

ChickenWing said:
whoa. um yea. you pretty much covered all of my suggestions. my only real guess is that maybe something (new) is bent?
I'm going to look at the pieces this weekend and find out if anything is jacked up.

Also other suggestions were check wheel bearings, check suspension to make sure its seated properly and check super pro bushings to make sure they are held in the control arms properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
I had the same problem on my old P10 due to some bad bushings. I would suspect either bushings or tires. Torque your lugnuts down, jack up the car, and shake each wheel back and forth. There should be no movement.

Also, why do you need a camber kit for stock suspension?
 

·
"says here on your chart"
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
Honestly Jon,
I bought an Autozone ball joint for my P10 and it failed in one week. I went to BAP and got thier ball joints on and it solved everything. I did the same thing you did, replace the rack, superpro bushings, allignments and so forth. Just check the ball joints again.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kaiseiken said:
I had the same problem on my old P10 due to some bad bushings. I would suspect either bushings or tires. Torque your lugnuts down, jack up the car, and shake each wheel back and forth. There should be no movement.

Also, why do you need a camber kit for stock suspension?
I have the AGX/Ground Control suspension setup, not stock. :)

MrFancypants said:
Oh I totally forgot...

Pull your passenger side axle and make sure that stupid support bearing rotates smoothly. They go out over time and can lead to pretty bad torque steer.



- Greg -
Will check that out! Thanks!

P10 WRC said:
Honestly Jon,
I bought an Autozone ball joint for my P10 and it failed in one week. I went to BAP and got thier ball joints on and it solved everything. I did the same thing you did, replace the rack, superpro bushings, allignments and so forth. Just check the ball joints again.
Yea, I'm very tempted to do that anyway, I wasnt a fan of putting the AutoZone ones in but I needed something in there. I'll let you know how that goes.
 

·
"says here on your chart"
Joined
·
4,607 Posts
cavern said:
Yea, I'm very tempted to do that anyway, I wasnt a fan of putting the AutoZone ones in but I needed something in there. I'll let you know how that goes.
Yeah, the thing is, there is no real way to visually tell if the ball joint is bad, so it's misleading.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I'm probably going to get new ones just to replace them with good brand ball joints.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P10 WRC said:
Yeah, the thing is, there is no real way to visually tell if the ball joint is bad, so it's misleading.
I checked BAP, they don't sell the ball joints seperately.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top