Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new manual shift knob for my 2002 G20.
its great, but the leather boot doesnt go all the way up to the bottom of the shift knob, so there is a little of the metal bar showing.

how can i get the boot to go up farther to cover the bare metal bar?

someone told me i could cut the top of the manual shift lever offso the bar wouldnt be so long and it would be shorter. but if i do that, i would never be able to put the original shift knob back on (come to think of it i shouldnt ever need to).

but any other suggestions?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I have that same problem at bit too. There is a rubber sleve sort of on the shaft that you can push up and hold the boot up a bit. Well mine does at least. :-\

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pull the base of the boot off and pull it up so you can get to the top of the shaft while the shift knob is still on. Take a zip tie and secure it on the shaft holding the boot tight against the knob. I needed to use two, because my ties weren't very good. It works rather well, and I have seen books about making street rod interiors that used the same method.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I used the same method and also used two zip ties....what you do is take the boot completely off....use zip ties to make like a stop for the ring part of the boot that slides on the shaft. Put as many zip ties to get the right height and then put the boot back on and then the knob...worked perfectly for me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, how do i get the boot off? it seems to be attached to the underneath of the base plate.

do i take the base plate off, then the boot just comes off freely?
or does the boot detach from the base plate easily?

sounds good tho if i can get that boot off.

what about the guy's idea about cutting the top part of the shift bar off. making the bar shorter and then i dont even need to raise the boot?

has anyone done this? i would need a hacksaw to cut the metal shift bar.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You don't need to remove it from the base plate. On my P10, I lift up on the rear of the piece, and it comes out. You then just pull it up and over the shift knob, so the boot is inside out. There you will see the rubber collar and be able to put the zip ties on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts