Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my 93.5 catalytic converter for a 95 cat. The 95 cat looks like it has a O2 sensor(3 lead wires) connected into it. My 93.5 did not have this, my O2 sensor is on my headers.

Well, I installed the cat anyway and the rotten egg smell seemed to disappear. After driving the car I saw a little bit of a light smoke coming out of the exhaust and a different smell. Not the usual exhaust smell (hope this helps). Also, the auxilliary fans would kick on when the car was just running, after driving for 15 minutes. This never happened with the old cat. The engine seemd hotter than before, but the temp gauge was normal (I assume because of the fans kicking on).

So, my questions are:
1. Is the 95 cat good/bad?
2. Can the cat be installed backwards?
3. Is the fans kicking normal operation? Mine didn't before so maybe that's why I had the rotten egg smell??
4. If the 95 cat is bad, should I go with random tech's cat, or are there better ones out there?

Thanks for any help with this

·
Registered
19 Posts
The O2 sensor of the cat was added for emisson purposes.

The O2 sensor should be on the outlet side of the cat. You could just find a bolt to plug the hole.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left the O2 sensor on the cat and installed it on the outlet side of the exhaust. I drove it for 10-15 minutes and then let it idle for 5 mintues. The auxilliary fan kicked on. Also, when I rev the car up to 2500-3000 and release the gas pedal, some white smoke would come out of the tailpipe. This scared me, so I put my original cat back on and drove for 15 minutes and no white smoke appeared.

Is it OK to leave the O2 sensor in? What would cause the white smoke in the 95 cat vs my 93.5 cat?
One thing I noticed was the rotten egg smell was gone with the 95 cat and when I installed the 93.5 cat, the rotten egg smell was back.

Any suggestion/ideas would be helpful

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts