Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas? I posted somewhat of the same question in the transmission section, but it was with a clutch question also, so I decided to make a post just for the hesitation.

I just noticed this. When I'm driving under 3000 rpm I feel a hesitation..kind of a fuel cut off I guess. I don't know what it is. It feels like the car cuts off (VERY briefly) goes forward and does it again until the car reaches 3000 rpm. After that it stops and the car drives fine. Any ideas?

I also noticed that when I'm at a stand still and start to roll (in 1st gear) than gun it..my car feels like it hesitates just once under 3000 rpm..once I'm at 3000 rpm the car seems fine. I do have a bad clutch might this be the cause? Because I've looked at the rpms when it does it and when the car hesitates the rpms don't really do anything noticeably..if anything they might stop for a really small bit than start to go back up and I've seen that with my clutch slipping the rpms rise and the speed doesn't??? but are there any other affects with a slipping clutch? rather than the rise of rpms? My car feels a little slower than when it started slipping, so does a bad clutch possible reduce horsepower or would it just affect acceleration? Since my hesitation happens pretty much only during hard acceleration (and sometimes without hard acceleration) I think it might be the clutch, but I'd like some more ideas.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
im automagic but i had the same thing when my maf was dieing.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Merlin! again! haha..but my car ONLY does this in 1st and 2nd gear and only before 3000 RPM in that thread his hesitation happened at above 3000 RPM the car accelerates well above 3000 RPM under 3000 I guess you can say it has one hiccup. How much would an EGR cost to replace? Thanks again for the info!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
my car only hesitated in 1st or 2nd as well, mostly from a dead stop, but also on acceleration under 3k rpm.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm..yeah I think I should change the wires..I have only changed the plugs and air filter so far..and the car has 187,000 miles..lol..The owner told me the last tune up was about a year ago, but since the car has these many miles and it's a 99 who knows how many miles he averaged per year! And ChickenWing..do you still have that hesitation? Or have you fixed it? I was thinking it was the clutch slipping, but I don't know..?? I'm driving about 2,000 or so miles in February so I might change..the wires, distributor and possibly the EGR valve..how much is an EGR valve anyways? I'm changing the clutch this friday and having the flywheel resurfaced!!

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
nope the hestitation went away the moment the MAF was changed.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much did it cost you to change your MAF? with parts and labor..unless you did it yourself than just the parts.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
hmm i have a qst along the same lines only mine reves up real high but fails to get up to speed. i was thinkin of doing a trans serve on it but it doesnt kick like dirty atf.

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
David99G20T said:
How much did it cost you to change your MAF? with parts and labor..unless you did it yourself than just the parts.

Thanks!!
check your spark plugs. if they're fouled out, try a colder heat range. but my roommates eclipse had a similar problem caused by that.

4dollarg20 said:
hmm i have a qst along the same lines only mine reves up real high but fails to get up to speed. i was thinkin of doing a trans serve on it but it doesnt kick like dirty atf.

speed up usually drops off around 6k. it's more or less useless to rev past that point. and if the atf is discolored at all (not a fresh red color), a trans service wouldn't exactly be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
David99G20T said:

Thanks!!
free under warranty.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I think mine is way out of warranty...;-(...KwikyMan..I am already running NGK V-Power Range 6 plugs..I changed them about a month or so ago..I haven't driven my car too hard in the past in 1st gear...so maybe I have had this problem for a month or so, but just never realized it because I normally floor it in 2nd or 3rd..? Who knows...I don't remember this problem being as bad until the clutch started slipping though, so hopefully that solves my problem. I know you have to break in a new clutch, but does anyone know the proper procedure?

Thanks again guys!!

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
David99G20T said:
Man, I think mine is way out of warranty...;-(...KwikyMan..I am already running NGK V-Power Range 6 plugs..I changed them about a month or so ago..I haven't driven my car too hard in the past in 1st gear...so maybe I have had this problem for a month or so, but just never realized it because I normally floor it in 2nd or 3rd..? Who knows...I don't remember this problem being as bad until the clutch started slipping though, so hopefully that solves my problem. I know you have to break in a new clutch, but does anyone know the proper procedure?

Thanks again guys!!
i believe it to be 500 miles of easy driving. that means no clutch dumps, no shock loading, no extreme downshifting, no ultra revs on launch, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, that sucks! lol..but if it makes my clutch last longer than why not..too bad I use the freeway to get to work all the time and don't drive to far on the weekends!!! Maybe, I can just take the streets...it adds maybe 10 minutes to my time to get to work, but if it breaks in the clutch faster than why not..:cheese:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: I just noticed that if I take off slowly and slowly accelerate that it doesn't hesitate..only when I start to give it more gas! does that sound like a fuel filter issue probably? The only thing I don't get is that it only seems to do it in 1st and/or 2nd under 3000 rpm..I want to try different things before I buy a MAF..one more thing..I have had this problem for a little while, but it seems like I started to really notice it as my clutch started getting worse and started to slip in 3rd and 4th gears sometimes...that is what led me to believe it was also related to my clutch..Oh, and one more thing..I noticed that if I start to take off at around..I don't know..1100 or 1200 rpm from a stand still that it doesn't hesitate..maybe the hesitation I feel is a bogging because I'm trying to take off at a lower RPM? I still don't understand what the 2nd gear issue would be though, since I am already higher than 1000 rpm when I am in 2nd. 2nd doesn't hesitate as often as 1st and it only does the hesitation sometimes..if my MAF was bad wouldn't it do this all the time? I noticed that it does't seem like a slip though..I look at the rpms and they don't seem to rise without an increase in speed..just kind of seems like it pauses for half or one second than goes..and maybe does that till 3000 rpm or maybe a little less. Is that somewhat of what bogging is?

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. Do you
Check your TPS voltage, and raise it. I don't know if it is true, but sometimes it felt like my G was starting in second (and by RPM, it actually was). Mine is an automatic.
Also get Mautai's Grounding Kit it seems to have helped a lot.

I had heavy hesitation just at the start, and it primarily disappeared after the grounding kit. I still get slower starts, but nothing like before, and I can take off with the A/C running.
Have you checked your MAF voltage or tried regrounding it or cleaning it?
________
Maine marijuana dispensary

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I just bought the car in September, but haven't touched the MAF. Maybe I should give it a shot! As for the TPS voltage that should be at stock I had it set by the dealer and I do not want to try to mess with it on my own..that is why I took it to the dealer in the first place lol..I plan on buying the grounding kit later on, but I still want to get this slight hesitation fixed before so I can fix the problem rather than just cover it up or make it feel better, but still have it. Thanks for your help though!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi again. I think our respective problems are quite similar. I finally got a code and it was the egr malfunctioning, just as the others who helped me on my thread had suggested. I priced it at the dealer: $206.50 CAD =( but thankfully it was MUCH better on everythingg20.com: $132.91 CAD (including shipping) =)
However... the dealer said that it was 3 hours of labour!!!! Yikes! I hope not...
MAF's are $$$ at the dealer: $550 CAD =P Let's hope its not your MAF.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I doubt it is the MAF..I honestly still think it's the clutch, because I don't remember this problem being as noticeable until the clutch started to get worse. The EGR valve I might just replace along with an O2 sensor since I will be driving about 2,000 + miles in February..Southern California to Dallas, Texas Fun..fun ;-)...I doubt it is the MAF, because I have no check engine light codes and I don't think those go bad too often. Thanks for the help though! Oh, and by the way does anyone have any experiences with Bosh O2 sensors? I know from EverythingInfiniti they are only about $100.00 + shipping, but if I can get an OEM replacement sooner and cheaper from the auto parts store than why not..

Thanks again guys!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts