Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:dead: June 05 (yes 05') I wrecked my baby..

I have my 88 mustang that I drive everyday so I wasn't in a pinch when I wrecked my baby.. So I've been collecting parts for this car for a while now.. I picked up all the tid bits within a few weeks.. the big parts were a little harder to find. I found a aftermarket radiator support for $88 shipped... I got it only to find that it was broken in 2 pieces and bent in about 20 places :dead: so I returned it and had to wait for the refund before I got another one.. I finally found another company that had one and scooped it up.. then I had to find a hood and fender.. finally found a guy who owned a small junk yard and picked up both for $150 that was in the summer (a year to the date after the wreck)

So here it is January and I finally have some time to work on it.. My dad came over and we hooked up the tow strap and towed it the 10 miles to his house since he has a garage I can work in.. gotta get a slide hammer to try and pull out the passenger side inner fender before cutting off the old radiator support.. So now you can watch the progress of my restoration...

Here is the structural damage from the accident...

As you can see.. no damage to the bumper area.. I actually slid up underneith the bumper of the car in front of me..

small amount of damage to the inner fender area.. not too hard to fix

This should buff right out.. LOL

I think I need a new radiator..

Some girlies signed my car.. This is what it looks like when you live 30' off of a dirt road and it sits under the car port for a year and a half..

At home (for now) in my parents garage..

STAY TUNED FOR THE PROGRESS..........

GOD BLESS...

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Heh, looks like what I just went thru with my 95, except it wasn't wrecked nearly as bad (no bent radiator support). Good luck with the project, hope you get to drive it soon. :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought this at Harbor Freight for $40:

Took about 5 minutes of whacking and got the radiator support pulled out enough to get the radiator and fans out.

Before:

After:

pulling the condensor tomorrow night.. Can you believe that with this much damage it still held a FULL CHARGE OF FREON.. we had to bleed out the system so we could remove it and replace it..

Tomorrow hopefully we will work on pulling the old radiator support off..

·
Administrator
5,863 Posts
Keep up the good work man, subscribed so I can watch the progress, glad to have ya back in the game.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Nice, glad to hear that you're gonna get her back on the road, good luck man, so far so good....keep it up :thumbsup:

Rob

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
UPDATE.. 2nd day working on the car...

removed the passenger side fender, removed the A/C condensor, and started removing the radiator support..

Ok who has one of these laying around????

Cause mine is a Weeeeeeee bit messed up..

I still can't believe this thing held freon after the accident..

Got to work on the radiator support.. I needed to drill out the spot welds then I used a cold chisel to break the rest of the weld off..

Everything else.. got the "BIG GUNS"

This is what it looked like when I got done at the end of the evening.. BUH BYE upper radiator support

There was ONE casualty of the side grinder.. it's the headlight wiring.. I'm glad it was that wiring and NOT the main harness.. couple of butt splices and she will be as good as new.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
that looks like a the oil catch can if I recall correctly, your best bet would be a part out... speaking of which here you go...
93 part out

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bro! :p

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
true that 93+ P10's didn't bring that.

Rob

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about just putting a breather on there but they do emissions testing here and do a visual inspections, so it wouldn't pass...

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
If you removed the aiv correctly it should not fail a visuall. as you will not have anything visually un conected. if their are hard asses with a book than you can say engine was replaced with a 93 then they can check that book. but i douht thew realy understand what is and is not suposed to be their. most of ther training is minimal

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only the top of the radiator support was damaged so I cut the aftermarket radiator support in half (it's just spot welded where the upper and lower support meet) So here I am test fitting the new upper radiator support.

I painted the radiator support using color matched plastikote import spray paint that matches the exterior paint absolutely perfect..

bolted in place.. gotta put on the headlight buckets, headlights, hood, and fenders... adjust everything and then I will be ready to tack weld the radiator support in place.

Then I will be pretty close to home free..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
damn dude ur making good progress..was it difficult takin out the fenders and the bumper? just askin cuz i might be doin it soon also..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts