Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread on Sturt Bars and read that some bars will only fit on p10 High port motors and some will fit on p10 Low port motors. Whats the differenece between high port and low motors for the p10. Which ones better? Advantages and disadvantages if you guys know of them. Why did Infiniti make two different port motors. Last question, I have a 1992 P10 and want to know what type of motor I have high port o low port or how can i tell if it's high or low port.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
This is a perfect one for the FAQ's. Hope your reading this one Brian! =)

Anyhow...

The high port was sold in the US between '91-'93 and the intake plenum is below the fuel injectors and fuel rail.

The low port was sold in the US between '93.5 and '96, then again in '99 on.

The changes from what I remember had to do with updated Cali emissions. The '93.5 and newer intake cams also were changed to a smaller lobe and a few other changes were made, like the AIV box was removed on the low port engines as Nissan was able to clean the exhaust air enough to get rid of it and I believe the ECU went to a ODB-II in 93.5 as well.

Many say the high port is a peppier engine, and I have to agree. I had a '91 NX2000 and I now have a '96 G20 and I do notice the difference between the two.

fatboyz921 said:
I have a 1992 P10 and want to know what type of motor I have high port o low port or how can i tell if it's high or low port.
You have a high port engine.

Others, please chime in with any other stuff I might have missed!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Nope I think that about sums it up.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
91 intke cam

Is this why you get more horsepower in a new sr20 with a 91 intake cam

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: 91 intke cam

Ericdd said:
Is this why you get more horsepower in a new sr20 with a 91 intake cam
That is correct. Excellent Bang for the Buck mod!

The power increase is not as impressive as the performance cams that are available, (as proven by Sport Compact dyno runs) but for as cheap as you can buy them these days, they are a wonderful upgrade! And you only have to replace the intake cam not the exhaust cam.

It will not work with the 2002 model (roller rocker). I believe it will work in all other 93.5 and newer SR20's though!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Re: High and Low Port Motors

NismoPC said:

The low port was sold in the US between '93.5 and '96, then again in '99 on.

The changes from what I remember had to do with updated Cali emissions. The '93.5 and newer intake cams also were changed to a smaller lobe and a few other changes were made, like the AIV box was removed on the low port engines as Nissan was able to clean the exhaust air enough to get rid of it and I believe the ECU went to a ODB-II in 93.5 as well.
Couple corrections here =)

93.5 IS a high port motor. 94-96 is low port.

93.5 was kind of a breed between the high and low ports...they kept it a high port, but took off the AIV and shit that the 91-93 had.

93.5 Is OBD-I

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Re: Re: High and Low Port Motors

A380Driver said:

Couple corrections here =)

93.5 IS a high port motor. 94-96 is low port.

93.5 was kind of a breed between the high and low ports...they kept it a high port, but took off the AIV and shit that the 91-93 had.

93.5 Is OBD-I
So, a 93.5 would almost be the ideal P10 to have right? =)
Start off with OBD-I, no AIV to deal with, good cams, high port intake. Not too shabby!
Didn't they also get rid of the auto strangle belt buckles on those?:cheeky:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: High and Low Port Motors

NismoPC said:

Didn't they also get rid of the auto strangle belt buckles on those?:cheeky:
Yah, that was like one of the bigger changes...the reason why they took out the auto seatbelts was becuase it was the first year for front airbags installed. There were also a couple other changes.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A380Driver said:
Really? When was your prodcution date :)
See, there had been some discussions to actual production dates in other threads on AF as well as in the Digest and no one really came up with the split between what a '93 -vs- '93.5 was. I think it was a production year where they just put in what was on the shelves at the time to clear up some old stock, then they began putting the newer engine and emissions changes onto it. So there might be a few different variances for the whole 1993 production year. Not just an early '93 and late '93 model.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think my production date is 6/93, but Im not sure because my car is i the shop right now getting my JDM sr20de put in.

·
Registered
710 Posts
NismoPC said:

So there might be a few different variances for the whole 1993 production year. Not just an early '93 and late '93 model.
Yah I was curious as to this becuase I actually have a 93.5 with a 1/93 production date....with no AIV or anything. Soo wierd :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
just look at your engine. if you can see your injectors its a highport.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
so does my 93.5 have the better intake cam? my production date is 3/93, but I know it's a 93.5, because I don't get chocked when I close the door. when did they start making 93.5's?

·
Registered
168 Posts
eGTTurbo said:
Is it highport from 90-93 even if I have an eGT version? (SR20DE).. from 90 to 93 they sold the sr20di engine in europe..
In europe the eGT was sold with a SR20DE highport engine only. The P11 GT with lowport SR20DE. The rest of the primera's under 1999 are sold with SR20Di,SR20De engine....

·
Registered
218 Posts
l1t43 said:
so does my 93.5 have the better intake cam? my production date is 3/93, but I know it's a 93.5, because I don't get chocked when I close the door. when did they start making 93.5's?
hmm? chocked when closing the door ?!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think he's talking about the automatic seat belts in pre 93.5 p10s...

I hate those things!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts