Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 1996 G20 with the stock USDM lowport motor. It has a little less than 140K miles. I am about to do an auto to manual transmission swap and add an LSD transmission into it. Now here comes my question; I want to build a naturally aspirated SR20DE engine with at least 200whp. I was talking to a few of my friends and they said it was possible. The question is which engine should I use in order to attain this figure...also I hope to boost it after I reach the N/A 200whp. Please tell me if I am being crazy or not...is this possible and smart or is this just possible if I spend a gazillion dollars on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I dont plan on doing this within the next 6 months; I need to finish the tranny swap first and make sure it runs well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You should run your current engine while putting together a boosted engine then swap em out when your done, completely skip N/A. Thats what im doing. As for highport or lowport im not sure but i do know that the highport already has a steep intake cam so aftermarket cam gains would be less than on a lowport.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats what I was more or less saying...I want to build a n/a engine with at least 200whp and then boost it...I know that the only way I would be able to figure out what the whp of the engine would be would be to swap it in but if I take my time and do it right then I am pretty sure that I will have a good n/a engine with the performance I want and then setup the boost even before I swap it into the car...I know I could go with the simple DET swap (I know not simple but I mean probably more simple than my idea here) and start with 205chp but I think I want a good engine before I boost it

·
Registered
605 Posts
But to get 200hp N/A your gunna need alot of porting and fine tuning that wont necessarily apply to a boosted engine. Plus headers and your whole exhaust will be useless?

·
Registered
663 Posts
For 200 whp NA you will spend a shedload of cash, you will need hairy cams, and high compression, both of those sets of parts will need to be changed when you go turbo, doesnt make any sense to me.

You need 11:1 or 12:1 for 200hp, and you need 9:1 or less for a decent turbo setup.

So that will need two total strip downs...

Mike

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
yeh if you are lookin for 200hp NA your best bet is a bolt on VE.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking VE but kinda wanted to do something different and make a DE f'in amazing but now that you all are stating that n/a 200whp is incredibly stupid to do if I am going to boost it then I should probably just go with the VE and boost that beast, right? Also, back to the lowport vs. highport part. My friend told me a lot of guys like to boost the highport more than the lowport is this correct and why?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts