Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the car is running, and I pull out the oil dipstick, a loud hissing sound (air)comes out of the dipstick hole, and there's like no oil on the dipstick. The hissing goes away a few seconds later, but it sounds like it was pressurized. When I turn the car off, and pull out the dipstick, I still hear the hissing sound, but I see the oil level, and it's normal....what's going on? Before the oil line on my car blew, this wasn't happening. But now, since I got a new harline and SS lines, I get this.

I did reroute the hose that goes comes from the valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe that has the MAF and air filter.

· Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I got back from school and I just had an instinct to double check the hose that comes out of the valve cover. Good thing I did, because part of the hose was almost melted, and restricted a lot of the airflow. So I replaced the hose, and now there is there is no more hissing air coming out of the dipstick hole when the car is running.

What other problems can a blocked hose on the valve cover cause?

· Registered
11,110 Posts
If you don't have your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system hooked up or correctly for that matter, then all the blowby going past the rings will build up in the crank case and cause positive pressure which can cost you HP. That and it will cause the engine to either suck in un metered air or blow air out past there and will seem like a boost leak

· Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya speaking of HP, I did notice the car was acting sluggish with the crankcase pressurized. From stop, when I pushed the gas pedal, it would take a lot more power to drive the car forward.

Basically what happened was that the hose melted, and it didn't let the air to flow out of the crackcase, causing pressure to build up there. I currently have a 3/8" line connected to the valve cover, but tomorrow I will change it to a 5/8" line to allow for more air flow.

Also, could a pressurized crank cause low oil pressure??

· Registered
448 Posts
A pressurized crankcase (usually caused by a clogged PCV valve) can cause premature failure of main bearing seals or gaskets such as the valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket, any of which would cause oil leaks. I'm guessing the hose that melted shut in your case was connected to the PCV valve.

· Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A hose did not melt IN the case itself. You know that black rubber hose that comes off the valve cover and goes into the intake. Well I clamped a smaller hose on the inside of that, and ran that to the pipe that has my MAF and air filter (the one that goes into the turbo inlet). The smaller hose that was clamped inside the original pcv hose, was the one that was melted and a did not allow much of an airflow from the crank, back to the intake pipe. This is what caused the air pressure inside the crank to build up.

· Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SR20 Inside said:
When we pressure tested hakes24's ride we noticed that air was coming from the dipstick.. you need to make sure you dipstick fits tightly and don't worry about it.
But the car was performing poorly with the crank pressurized. After I fixed teh pcv, it got much better, which means that it's probably not normal that air is coming out of the dipstick like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts