Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to my car this afternoon to find that someone had damaged my rear bumper. There is a slight indentation but what concerns me more is that the clearcoat is cracked and spiderwebbed. I know I didn't hit anything. Which leaves two possibilities: some dishonorable jerk hit my car and took off, or the Infiniti dealer that serviced it this morning damaged it. They claim the damage was there when it got to them, but mysteriously the walkaround damage inspection sheet they do on any incoming car has disappeared. The guy who does the walkarounds swears he remembers my car and the damage, too bad he also claims he saw other damage WHICH DOESN'T EXIST. Like he'd remember anyway since they see so many cars every day. Can I prove they did the damage? No. But the coincidences are very disconcerting.

The good news is that it can be repaired relatively inexpensively, and the manager at the dealer I bought the car from (who I trust) says that they can make all the damage disappear. It will be redone by the same people who redid the bumper before I bought the car, so I know they do good work and can match the color.

It just sucks that I'm going to have to pay to have the bumper redone because of some jerk's carelessness. :throwup:

Before and after pics will be posted when there's an after.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
that sucks...just like how the windshield repair guys scratched the roof of my ride when the puled the weatherstripping off. I took it back to them after I took off the tape and they said no, that was already there. they didnt speak a lot of english so I could really argue. Pinche jotos.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
the worst part is not knowing for sure when the damage occured. whoever did it will get karma-fucked, for sure. sorry to hear the bad news.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I'd call Infiniti Corporate to complain but I don't have any proof that they did any damage, it's just as likely it was some moron who couldn't figure out how to park.

And as for timeframe, it was in the last 24 hours. I'm 100% sure it wasn't there last night.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
I mean how can they all of a sudden lose the walk around sheet??? This here is prime example of why they do it in the first place right???

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
davew7 said:
Yep, since there is no sheet I would press the issue with them as far as you can.
I took it to the service manager who basically said, "our guy said he saw the damage before so even though we can't find the sheet I'm going to believe him so you're out of luck". What a crock. From a business standpoint, they're idiots. I've been taking my G20 and now my I30 there for almost five years now for service, and I probably would have bought my next car there-not anymore. I'll never go back there. Could they be telling the truth? Sure, it is possible, but to summarily dismiss me without any proof to the contrary is a stupid move. If they had brought out the sheet and showed me that they had noted damage I would have gone away and chalked it up to a parking-impaired moron hitting my car. But they don't have it, and claimed it was because it was "so hectic this morning". Hectic? There were a total of three people in the waiting area the whole time I was there, and I didn't see a stream of cars coming in.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
sorry to hear about that man. that is some BS. i would really be pissed. what good is the walkaround sheet if you dont get a copy anyway? they could easily make one up if you didn't get a copy also. like at the rental car agency, they made note of any damages before i got the car, then made me sign it. i think they are just bein assholes and dont wanna take care of you

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
gomd3 said:
tell them you're never going back there again I cant believe they're pulling some BS like that...
The next level is probably going to be Infiniti Corporate. I never signed any walkaround sheet, the only thing I ever signed was the final receipt for the intended repairs having been done (front end splash guard replacement).

One other interesting detail I haven't mentioned: when I showed the damage to the manager at the dealer I bought the car from to see what he thought of it he said it looked like it had possibly backed into a lift stanchion. Hmm...where would one find a lift stanchion? In a service bay, imagine that! It's a really weird shaped dent and I can't see how the bumper of another car could have made it (there's not even any paint residue from another car, and the probability of it having been hit by another KR4-colored car is very low)...I'll post a picture tomorrow, it's too dark right now.

On a side note I did get the service history on my car and found out that it's been relatively trouble free and was serviced at West Palm Beach Infiniti for most of its life.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
contact the better business bureau...BBB

I wouldve told that bitch of a service manger "Fuck you, Im out of luck. Find that fucking piece of fucking paper and prove to me that it was fucking there. What kind of shit is this, telling me Im out of luck cause your fucking employee said it was there. What if I go in and kick your motherfucking car and deny everything??? As far as Im concerned that shit was already there."

see Im getting all mad for you!!! if they seriously that to me, I would seriously say what I just typed up above...seriously. I have a short fuse/hot head/bad temper when people give me smart answers like that. I hate making a scene but sometimes it just ends up like that :shifty: I know, Im an asshole. Be nice to me and ill be really nice to you. Piss me off, then you made a big boo boo. thats just how I roll...treat others how you want to be treated. :p

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I figured I wasn't going to get anywhere by being a jerk, it would just make them even less likely to listen to my complaint. Having worked in the car business, I understand that mistakes happen. The service advisor was very willing to listen to me and look at my car, but the service manager all but summarily dismissed me. Had they shown me a sheet that I had signed that says there was preexisting damage or had they been willing to repair the damage I would have gone away satisfied and continued doing business with them. But since they can't prove anything they can't just say it was my fault.

Like I said, they could be right and I could have gotten hit in a parking lot, so I'm not angry at them for saying no and I understand their position. But at the same time to tell me to my face that they're sure the damage was there with no proof does upset me, especially when they start talking about other nonexistant damage. I will probably end up paying for it and they will end up losing a customer, so it's a lose-lose situation.

I also would not have been irritated if my car had had preexisting dents and other normal wear and tear, but the car didn't have a single visible scratch on it before this incident.

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
I would still contact corporate Matt. Explain the situation, and the Service Manager's dismissal attitude. What's the worst that happens, nothing? Still worth a complaint, if anything, about the "missing paperwork" and the managers attitude. That's shady as fuck. Make a complaint, seriously. If not, some other guy will have the same treatment by the same jerks.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
G-ealousy said:
I would still contact corporate Matt. Explain the situation, and the Service Manager's dismissal attitude. What's the worst that happens, nothing? Still worth a complaint, if anything, about the "missing paperwork" and the managers attitude. That's shady as fuck. Make a complaint, seriously. If not, some other guy will have the same treatment by the same jerks.
Yeah I'll give them a call on monday. The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed by the whole episode.

More and more their behavior is very suspect the more I think about it. The manager went out and looked at my car without me present (I was inside the waiting room and seriously tempted to set off the alarm), and then didn't come and talk to me for about 15 minutes afterwards. Very shady. I don't know what was discussed between the time the manager looked at my car and when she and the walkaround guy came to talk to me, but from my point of view it doesn't seem too honest. I would have even been willing to compromise and split the cost of repairs, but I didn't even get to a point where that could have been accomplished.

None of this has lowered my opinion of the Infiniti brand. I checked out a new G35 in the showroom and it really does meet the quality standard set by Lexus. It's my next car. But I won't be buying it from this dealer which shall remain nameless.

·
Registered
107 Posts
oh hell no, explained to him that you will report this shit to the BBB. Explain to that Genius that there has to be "momentum" of impact to cause disruption in the paint pattern.

The other aspect is that thread them with attorney legal action. Hell, if you bring the car in to be fix, its for that problem not some magic other areas appeared over night.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car man, at least the damage is pretty minimal. My G got pretty banged up by some idiot new years eve, and I still haven't found out who did it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
docG20 said:
oh hell no, explained to him that you will report this shit to the BBB. Explain to that Genius that there has to be "momentum" of impact to cause disruption in the paint pattern.

The other aspect is that thread them with attorney legal action. Hell, if you bring the car in to be fix, its for that problem not some magic other areas appeared over night.
The problem with taking any action is that they could be telling the truth. The damage could have been caused by someone backing into me in a parking lot the night before and me just not noticing it. So while the dealer is acting shady, they aren't necessarily lying. My complaint to Infiniti will be about their shady and excessively defensive behavior, not about the damage to my car. They did a poor job of resolving my complaint, and even if they did have a damage inspection sheet, I never was asked to sign it. The only thing I ever signed was the final work receipt. Like I said, if they had presented the damage inspection sheet and damage had been noted I would have gone away satisfied and know that the damage had been done the night before. But they somehow managed to lose a sheet which I never signed but they claim to know for a fact listed damage. Whether they did the damage I will never be 100% sure, but I am sure their service manager did a bad job of resolving the complaint and pretty much blew me off.

The damage is also very minimal to the point of being hard to notice unless you are close to the car; I had to point it out to everyone I showed it to at close range. From 10 feet away you can't see the damage unless you know to look for it. But unfortunately it did crack the clearcoat so it will need to be redone, thankfully it didn't crack the bumper cover so it can be repaired to a pre-incident standard.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These pics aren't great. but they do show some of the damage (as well as the reflection of a cable on the ground).

You can see that it made a small dent above the chrome trimline, but the spiderwebbing isn't visible nor is the thin dent line that continues down from the more visible damage.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LoSt said:
looks like it backed into a pole, or something with a corner
That's what the manager at the dealer I bought the car from originally thought too. And I am 100% sure that I haven't backed into anything, which makes the Infiniti dealer that serviced it suspect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts