Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

I just bought a 1999 G20 with 182k miles. When the Catalytic converter heats up, it smells like rotten eggs. I think the Cat. is defective. I can not afford a new one at the moment. My question to the guru's is; if I just hollow the catalytic converter and put everything back together, will it throw a code and will it affect the gas mileage?

p.s. I live in FL so that is why I'm considering in doing this. (We don't have smog testing)

·
Registered
946 Posts
It will throw a code for the rear O2. You will have to fool the computer if you want to delete the cat.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
The rear o2's purpose is to see how efficient the cat is at cleaning up the exhaust. Obviously if it isn't there, it is going to know.

Also before you replace the cat, you will want to fix the cause of the problem, not the symptom.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just buy a new CAT. I've been using eBay ones that are around 100$. They last about 2-3 years here in CT before rust breaks things.

Otherwise you would need an O2 sim (illegal, just like hollowing out the CAT) to fool the ECM.

Oh and your car will still stink and may turn your bumper black.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
Just buy a new CAT. I've been using eBay ones that are around 100$. They last about 2-3 years here in CT before rust breaks things.

Otherwise you would need an O2 sim (illegal, just like hollowing out the CAT) to fool the ECM.

Oh and your car will still stink and may turn your bumper black.
Not true

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I said "may", but your exhaust will still smell worse than it did with a CAT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.