Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to check out my hard starting problem, I *may* have dropped an injector spacer down the intake manifold. It was pitch black out.

My facilities outside are limited to be taking crap out to inspect to see if my theory is right.

I don't *think* I did it, but I sure as hell can't find the spacer anywhere.

(Anytime I drop something in this engine bay it is never ever found again). :(

If I start the car with the rubber spacer in there, are the ramifications as severe as dropping a bolt down there?

Sucks because a magnet sure aint going to work. :( :(

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
i did that once but i dropped it in the engine bay. took me a day to find it but eventually i found it by searching around with a flashlight. it was way down behind the block around a bunch of grease so i was lucky i saw it at all. good luck.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Hope my luck is the same. Thanks for passing your good luck onto me. :) I will look harder.

Any ideas on what would happen if I am wrong?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump for what would happen if I started motor with rubber injector spacer

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
jj94auto said:
bump for what would happen if I started motor with rubber injector spacer
If you think you know where it is in the intake manifold you could put some grease on the end of a coat hanger and fish around and see what sticks to it.
Otherwise, you should be OK because it is rubber. Worse case is it may get lodged in the valve seat for a few revolutions before it is ejected out the exhaust. I am not familiar with this part. If it is soft like an O-ring then no worries. If it is harder like engine mount rubber, then it's a little more risky. Other than getting caught in the valve seat, there is no other concerns (i.e. piston, etc.).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jjacob said:
If you think you know where it is in the intake manifold you could put some grease on the end of a coat hanger and fish around and see what sticks to it.
Otherwise, you should be OK because it is rubber. Worse case is it may get lodged in the valve seat for a few revolutions before it is ejected out the exhaust. I am not familiar with this part. If it is soft like an O-ring then no worries. If it is harder like engine mount rubber, then it's a little more risky. Other than getting caught in the valve seat, there is no other concerns (i.e. piston, etc.).
It's harder than an o-ring. Somewhat larger (about 2.5 times the size). Could you define "a little more risky". The spacer is pretty hard.

I won't blame you or anyone for your opinions btw.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would want to find it before running the engine. It isn't that hard to pull the intake if you're sure it's not outside of it somewhere. You could also pull the fuel rail, see if you can see it from the other holes. Need to get some new plenum and intake gaskets before you take it apart.

·
Registered
844 Posts
lysander said:
I would want to find it before running the engine. It isn't that hard to pull the intake if you're sure it's not outside of it somewhere. You could also pull the fuel rail, see if you can see it from the other holes. Need to get some new plenum and intake gaskets before you take it apart.
i agree. you already have most of the intake disconnected due to getting to the injectors correct? first i would look around as much as possible outside of the engine. get under the car and look. fish around with a clothes hangar and check every tiny crevice. if you cant find it pull off the intake manifold since its mostly disconnected anyway. where are you at in virginia? im in college park not too far from northern va.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alrighty then, thanks....I live down in Woodbridge.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
On a low port, if you pull the plenum and intake, you should clean up the IAV and air regulator while you have it apart- You'll need a little gasket for that (good chance you can use the old one). Be careful you don't lose the little spring in the IAV if you take it off. The IAC system is responsible for idling probs- maybe hard starting. Lots of pics and instructions on this site if you search.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
jj94auto said:
It's harder than an o-ring. Somewhat larger (about 2.5 times the size). Could you define "a little more risky". The spacer is pretty hard.

I won't blame you or anyone for your opinions btw.

Thanks
The danger is that if it is not squishy rubber, that it will hang a valve open if it gets caught between the valve and the seat. That could mean the piston might hit the valve, or the valve might get bent. None of which are good.
Sounds like it is not squishy rubber. You should probably see if you can find it (external or internal).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lysander said:
On a low port, if you pull the plenum and intake, you should clean up the IAV and air regulator while you have it apart- You'll need a little gasket for that (good chance you can use the old one). Be careful you don't lose the little spring in the IAV if you take it off. The IAC system is responsible for idling probs- maybe hard starting. Lots of pics and instructions on this site if you search.
Thanks, you must not have seem how many times I have pulled the plenum to do this lol.

The air regulator is a new one.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jjacob said:
The danger is that if it is not squishy rubber, that it will hang a valve open if it gets caught between the valve and the seat. That could mean the piston might hit the valve, or the valve might get bent. None of which are good.
Sounds like it is not squishy rubber. You should probably see if you can find it (external or internal).
I'll do my best, thanks for the insight to you and all.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You don't need to pull the plenum to R/R the IACV, only the air regulator, at least on a low port (94 on). IACV hangs off the end and is easy to get to, the air regulator is underneath the plenum. Air regulator has two kinda big hoses connected to it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lysander said:
You don't need to pull the plenum to R/R the IACV, only the air regulator, at least on a low port (94 on). IACV hangs off the end and is easy to get to, the air regulator is underneath the plenum. Air regulator has two kinda big hoses connected to it.
Yep, I know. I have cleaned that IACV like 3 times. Yep the air regulator is fun to get to. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, guess there wasn't a rubber washer in there after all...car started fine....

I'll have to be more careful and less rushed next time.

Thanks all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts