Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As has been mentioned on other threads, putting a new axle seal in the transmission on the passenger side on a P10 is a bear. The sticky mentioned using a 1x2, but I destroyed two seals because I couldn't get them in straight pushing just in the middle. You need to be able to push around the edges.

I made a rudimentary tool using scrap 1 x 3. Cut in from each side a notch about 1/4" deep and in until you reach the outside edge of the seal. Then make cuts where the lips of the seal are located. This will give you contact on both the outside and inside of the seal. Makes it easy. Cut 1x3 to about 15 inches so you can thread it through the axle bracket and have room to tap it with hammer.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ingenuity is the child of necessity...

Very good piece of work there.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
nice as long as it deos not push the center part. if it does the center will either damage are pope the spring out of it are stretch the spring. the idea is to start the seal with equal in all parts. Kinda a hard thing to master with the tranny in the car. i have done many.
I have damaged about 3 seals when i was starting out but i spoted it and never let a customer leave with something i had damaged.
i found it best to have me line it up and have someone else wack it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
2i used a long 1/2 in extension and used one hand to line it up and another on a hammer, PITA but i was lucky enough not to ruin the seal

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i always just use the old seal to hammer on. never had an issue. just did thsi yesterday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts