Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it it to install a basic stereo in my 2002 Infiniti G20? I have one in there right now. I'm looking at getting one that can play audio books from an SD card, as well play music. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you already have an aftermarket headunit it should be very easy to install a new one if the last one was installed properly. if it was installed the quick or cheap way without a schosche adapter etc you could be in for a wiring nightmare.
Thanks. Any easy way to check? Or how do I check if it's aftermarket? Sorry for my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You don't need to solder. If the unit you have in there is aftermarket, swapping in a new one should be very simple

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yes there are other threads that cover this.

Basically the P11 used an amplified system (amp is in the trunk attached to the underside of the deck). It's a 2 ohm system rather than the standard 4 ohms. It's means that it's not that simple to change.

If you only want to change the radio, you can use the amplifier integration harness by Metra, 70-7551. You will also need an antenna adapter which is 40-NI11 also by Metra. With this harness you need a radio with front and rear RCA pre-amp outputs. The downside if this setup is your max volume isn't that high.

The second way is to use the Scosche line output converter. With this, you use Metra adapter 70-7550. The speaker wires will go to the Scosche adapter. This unit allows you to adjust the output level to increase or decrease the overall volume. The downside of this is you are not matching the correct impedance of the speakers which can shorten their life and increase distortion and/or clipping. Good side is you can adjust the output on the adapter to help compensate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes there are other threads that cover this.

Basically the P11 used an amplified system (amp is in the trunk attached to the underside of the deck). It's a 2 ohm system rather than the standard 4 ohms. It's means that it's not that simple to change.

If you only want to change the radio, you can use the amplifier integration harness by Metra, 70-7551. You will also need an antenna adapter which is 40-NI11 also by Metra. With this harness you need a radio with front and rear RCA pre-amp outputs. The downside if this setup is your max volume isn't that high.

The second way is to use the Scosche line output converter. With this, you use Metra adapter 70-7550. The speaker wires will go to the Scosche adapter. This unit allows you to adjust the output level to increase or decrease the overall volume. The downside of this is you are not matching the correct impedance of the speakers which can shorten their life and increase distortion and/or clipping. Good side is you can adjust the output on the adapter to help compensate.
Thanks. I'm not really needing much. Just want a VERY simple stereo with MP3/CD functionality. Are all those adapters still required, no matter what path I go as far as the stereo I choose?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.