Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car will warm up when i am stopped then when i am driving the temp will drop and will not blow hot air out of my heater i called the dealer ship and they said that i needed to bleed the coolent line but it was 250-350 so i figured i would ask you guys how i can do it my self or if there is anything else it could be. thank you.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This doesn't sound like air in the system. It sounds like a thermostat stuck open.

Here's what I would do. On my car (2002) the air bleed is a small bolt just above the thermostat housing. I would go ahead and replace the thermostat with a new one. After you have the new thermostat installed, then remove this bleed bolt, and start adding anti-freeze. When it starts to come out the bleed hole, put the bolt back in. Continue filling until the system is full.

After driving the car, wait until it is cold again before topping off the overflow bottle to the max mark.

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
jjacob said:
This doesn't sound like air in the system. It sounds like a thermostat stuck open.
I agree

After driving the car, wait until it is cold again before topping off the overflow bottle to the max mark.
I dont agree... you should top off the overflow reservoir to the MIN mark when cold, or the MAX mark when hot. Otherwise it will overflow.

- Greg -

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i dont think there is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing on a p10.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
P11 version

Changing the stat won't hurt any ......... Drain the system completely ........ Bottom rad hose off & the block drain plug too. Blast out the cooling system from all directions with a hose (Tap turned on full) we want clean water comming outta this puppy.

Make sure you disconect teh heater matrix hoses @ both ends & give that a dange good blowing thro too.

Do the stat bits & use the RTV to seal the ferker up.

replace the bottom hose, open the lil valve next to the stat, take the radiator cap off & the expansion vessel cap LEAVE THE BLOCK PLUG OUT....... Slowly & I mean slowly pour anti freeze into the radiator, after about 2.5 to 3.0 litres of antifreeze has gone in it will start to dribble out of the block drain plug, replace that plug, put about 4.0 litres of antifreeze in SLOWLY....... Then start to topp up with water, there will be a bitta gurgling going on, eventually the stat drain valve will begin to weep, when it does close it & carry on filling SLOWLY........ when yas full to the kneck of the radiator, put about two egg cup fulls of antifreze in the expansion vessel & top it up wth water to the full mark..... Take the car out for a hour & once it has cooled topp up the expansion vessel ...... Violla ...... Perfectly bled cooling system that will be good to go for at least three years (Unless somone messes with it)

Obviously if you believe the water pump to be a bit dicky change it 1st, same goes for any unduly floppy hoses :)

If after doing all that the thing is still playing up I'll be a monkeys uncle :beard:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I'm taking it as read that the fans are operating properly ........ Soon find out I suppose :bandit:

·
Registered
72 Posts
StangG20 said:
i dont think there is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing on a p10.

there is.... mine is leaking (head of the bolt is spun off)

quote: my car will warm up when i am stopped then when i am driving the temp will drop and will not blow hot air out of my heater i called the dealer ship and they said that i needed to bleed the coolent line but it was 250-350 so i figured i would ask you guys how i can do it my self or if there is anything else it could be. thank you.

send me your email and ill send you scans of the fsm so you can have pictures too.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
G20_newbie said:
there is.... mine is leaking (head of the bolt is spun off)
Ergo your lack of pressure/Cooling issue ? :zoinks:

:beard:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Wh00ps wrong person :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
rmyc said:
my altima has the oppisite problem.. blows hot air when driving and cold when stopped
Sounds like weak water pump or slightly plugged heater core. Might tget lucky and fix by tightening the belt that drives the water pump to be sure it turns strong at idle.

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
off topic:

on the recnt update bar on the homepage, all you see is "how do i properly bleed...", and i got scared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts