Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a HP10, and my friend and I (not experts by any means) are trying to get the speakers changed, but we can't even get the panels off. The metal grille doesn't come off completely, and we've tried unscrewing all sorts of things (they only experience we really have is changing out the speakers in his Civic EX...much simpler).

Any help would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ya gotta get in with a flat bladed screwdriver and push these little tabs up that are holding it in. You'll see. You will have to pull "quite hard" to first get it out.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
ok nissan tried to pull one over on us here. you have to remove the power window switch to get to the last screw that holds the door panel one. the switch just pops out with a flat head screwdriver. let me know if you have any other ?'s

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I guess the yahoo G20 club deleted all the pictures. I hade a whole step by step with pictures there ....

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
here we go

There are about 6-7 screws holding the door panel on
oh yea u need to remove the door panel dont try to remove the grill it wont work:cheeky:

1)There are maybe 3-4 covered with a plastic cover stated b4. pop them off with a flathead screw driver. then ther will be the remaining 5-7 screws that can be removed with a philipps head(star). these screws are located around the back side of the panel and the bottom.

2)Get your same flat head and pop out the power window switch. behind that you will find a bolt or a philipps screw driver or a 10mm socket will work.

3) Pull on the armrest and there will be a short prong stickin into the atual door itself.

4) Still holding the door handle lift up on the door handle towrds the windpw while pulling out towards the interior of the car and the panel should come off

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, I have to do all THAT? Okay here goes... more updates as I tear my door apart trying to get to the speakers....

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Aiight lemme know how it goes or if I left anything out. I dont think I did cause I can practically do it in my sleep I've done it so many times. But hey we make mistakes

So lemme know how it goes

·
Registered
65 Posts
easy front speaker replacement

replacing the front speakers doesnt require full removal of the door panel. just take out the bottom screws and pull the door up a slight bit. then get a right angle philips head, and take out the screws for the metal grille/storage thing that runs along side the door. there should be about 8 screws if i remember right. after this is off you have easy access to the mount

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I pulled the door panels off a couple weeks ago but I had no idea the stock speakers were so damn small. I considered getting bigger speakers mounted via some kits that were mentioned on this forum, but then I decided it'd be cheaper to just replace the speaker with some tiny 4x6s, like the stock ones. I did some research, and oh darn, Rockford-Fosgate happens to make speakers in 4x6s. So I'm just gonna save up another month or so and I should be able to stick RFs all the way around in my car, along with an MD player. n_n

·
Registered
635 Posts
is it just my car but is that phillips screw behind the window switch on there super freakin tight. I couldn't do it with a regular sized screwdriver it was starting to strip the bolt. I guess I need to make a stop by the hardware store to pick up a larger bit driver. I have a part time construction job and I have never met a small phillips screw that was on that well.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
" it in in your mind Neo " ...lol
no seriously .. that screw on drivers side is very tight and you needs big ass screwdriver to get it. I broke my one phillips on i the first time ..

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
G-DSTNY said:
is it just my car but is that phillips screw behind the window switch on there super freakin tight. I couldn't do it with a regular sized screwdriver it was starting to strip the bolt. I guess I need to make a stop by the hardware store to pick up a larger bit driver. I have a part time construction job and I have never met a small phillips screw that was on that well.

use a 10mm ratchett

·
Registered
158 Posts
6 1/2's would fit on the front doors with little modifications. All you need is to cut a little bit of the metal from the door, make a spacer out of MDF wood, then you will have a stock looking speakers that no one know is hidden behind the grill. That's how mine looks, stealthy, but..., the tweeter gave it up.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
HURRAY!!

I did it boys!! I put my front door speakers yesterday!! It was one great accomplishment and I owe my thanks to you!! I followed the instructions and the screws were exactly where you said!! I personally believe that removing the whole panel is necessary! I tried just unscrewing the bottom part but the screws around the speaker were hard to reach!:-\
I added two 5 1/2, 3-way Pioneers and these suckers sound better than ever!! I had to work with the stock cone cuz the original speakers had an Oval shape and my new ones are round :bandit: But when you want something done ... you find your way around it!! The only bad thing is that I busted one of the lil' plastic things around the Window Switch :knockout: I guess I'll get one at a junkyard or something... Nothing major!
But once again, Thanks a whole lot guys!!!! ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congratulations!!! Hooray :cheeky: Isn't that something. I know how you feel. When I'm in the "zone"?%&# such as putting together my system..., 2 weeks ago, one day I didn't eat until 9:30 pm. I started at 7:00am. I'm still gradually cleaning up(putting the firewall panels piece by piece and tucking in the wirings)day by day when I have a chance. It's comming along pretty good ;) I will post it on the webpage that I just made for G20 folks to see :tired:

·
Registered
158 Posts
FF Drifter..., go for the bigger picture! Go for 5 1/2's or 6 1/2's.
You'll be saving money in the long run because when you put 4x6 even the good ones, you'll get bored with it and going to upgrade it again for better sounds. The capability of 4x6 is limited sound wise. Go to your local Hi-Fi audio store listen & compare 4x6 vs. 6 1/2's. You'll hear what I mean. Use your stock speakers for awhile and save up for the bigger & good ones ;)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Fray! What happend to the rear speakers of yours? I was waiting for your good news man. Come on! Believe in yourself! You can do it! I'm almost done with my set ups, sound wise. Tomorrow I might be able to install my EQ because I cracked the problems already, just now ;) I'm going to use the PC wire connector for the pins. I hope the wires would be fine, or I might solder a havier gauge to make sure.

Good luck on your rears man. I wish I could help you :-\

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I'm on it!!

I'm working on it boy! ;) I haven't had the chance to get to the rear ones yet... I've been really busy since my last attempt. But I will do it... Cuz' I'm not enjoying the good fronts and crappy backs!! :-\ I'll rip that freakin' back seat if I have to!! (you didn't hear me say that) But I'll post a big "HURRAY" when completed! :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Alright! whatever :rolleyes: just follow carefully word by word what GTA's instructions. I wish you luck man! Don't loose hope. You'll be fine. Make sure you don't get so upset and frustrated when you do it again. If I can do it..., you can do it!!!=)

·
Registered
363 Posts
rears

Fray your going to have to pull off those damn back seats I just did mine and it sucks but you have to do it. I custimized mine by cutting into the panel and putting bigger speakers back there. And thank you guys for the info on the front speakers because that is what i am working on now and i had no idea how to take those panels off. Tnx

1 - 20 of 51 Posts