Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Your valves are hydraulic and they don't need adjustment.

Your fuel filter is pretty easy to change. Here's the easiest way i found

- let the car sit for as long as poosible (overnight if you can)
- pull the fuel pump fuse
- start the car and let it run till it dies
- remove the top and bottom clamp for the fuel filter
- remove the lines from the fuel filter (i'd recommend putting a towel or cloth around the filter, as there will still be some fuel in the lines and filter).
- put lines on new fuel filter
- tighten clamps and seat filter in the holder
- reinstall fuel pump fuse
- you're good to go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am suspecting one of my lifter is bad. How do I go about in changing that, how hard and how much is it to do all that? I am new to piston engine, been a rotary man for 3 years

·
Registered
89 Posts
Changing Fuel Filter

This seems like something you can do on the street.

How often would you recommending changing the gas filter?

·
Registered
158 Posts
where exactly is the fuel filter fuse? I had my fuel filter sitting on the trunk for months and haven't time to do it, more likely spending my time on my car system. thanx;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
The fuel pump RELAY (not fuse) is next to the washer bottle filler, and marked as such. Just unplug the relay and then start up the engine till it dies.
The filter can be a bitch to get off, it's simple in principle, but the rubber pipe sticks on the filter's lower metal spigot and it's difficult to get enough grip on the pipe and filter to pull and twist the two apart. Just persevere and it will come off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Deng! From Philly to U.K. to Mexico to Arizona to Canada, etc. etc...., that's pretty cool to know.

Oh :whistle: Thanks SteveB for letting me know. Yeah! I'll try to do some McGyver stuff to find the easiest way to remove the hose. I know it's kinda' look tight there, huh.

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need to subscribe to this one, as I will be doing a tune up. Can someone tell me if running the car with the fuel pump relay off will do any damage (throw a CEL, mess up the pump itself, etc.)? Thanks for the info Justin by the way.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
When I changed my fuel filter I did it just like Justin described. The fuel pump fuse is the second 15A fuse on the left side of the inside fuse box and should be marked as such. Removing the fuse cuts power to the fuel pump. When you turn the car on, the fuel system will depressurize and the car will shut off. You can even turn the engine over a few times to get rid of most of the pressure. Afterr just unclamp the hoses from the fuel filter and pull them off and put the new one in. It takes some effort to pull the hoses off and you should wrap some rags around for any spilled fuel.

If you do it this way the MIL will not come on. This is a pretty normal procedure for any car's fuel filter. I didn't do it by removing the relay but that pretty much does the same tthing so either way is safe.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh so it is the fuse, not the relay that you used. SteveB said to unplug the relay, but I will just do the fuse since it worked for you mike and we have the same car. thanks man.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
- let the car sit for as long as poosible (overnight if you can)
TRuE DaT!!!!

I did mine recently, i was kinda in a rush and did it after driving.....
I let the pressure run out...I thought....
So I get under the hood and start wriggelin the top hose off...
Its starts budgin a little, then I yank it ....

BLEeePTH

There was so much pressure it shot gas all over!!!
It blew right at my face, got gas in my eyes, mouth,nose...

Funny now, but man I was pissed.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
AWOL_g said:

TRuE DaT!!!!

I did mine recently, i was kinda in a rush and did it after driving.....
I let the pressure run out...I thought....
So I get under the hood and start wriggelin the top hose off...
Its starts budgin a little, then I yank it ....

BLEeePTH

There was so much pressure it shot gas all over!!!
It blew right at my face, got gas in my eyes, mouth,nose...

Funny now, but man I was pissed.
yeah I did that in mmy RX-7 before. in that car you have to go underneath too! I was underneath it then PSSHSHHH all over mysself :p

That's why I suggest you turn itt over a few times to relieve pressure. nothing wrong with doing itt a few time. spark without combustion never hurt anyone in this case

·
el capitán Nismo
2,245 Posts
Crank it a couple times. You can also take the gas cap off.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Funny, I never release fuel pressure on anything before changing the filters... from american trucks, my old g20, american, japanese, and /or german cars, everything under the sun. I just wrap it with a rag, spray some silicone on the hoses and go for it. You lose a little gas, big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ya know, after you replace the filter you should just key on real quic to prime it before you start the engine. but that probably goes w/out saying, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts