Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive never done anything related to replacing a head unit before but im thinking of ordering an aiwi mp3 head unit for my p10 and i was wondering how hard the install will be and what tools i might need to do it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ive put many different units in my car, including an aiwa unit once. Its really easy, just get yourself a wiring harness for the car, some wire strippers, and some black tape or some crimps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's very easy if you know what exactly what to do. Make sure you double check the wiring harness to match with the head unit wires. You need a male & female connector to connect the wirings.
Find a solid metal for your ground near the center console. Make sure you tape every single loose wire connections. Don't forget to disconnect the negative battery before you do any electrical stuff in your car ;) Good Luck!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
8 screws(4 in the cluster and 4 mounting it behind the cluster)

All you need is a wiring harness and its simple.

·
Registered
710 Posts
pist said:
ive never done anything related to replacing a head unit before but im thinking of ordering an aiwi mp3 head unit for my p10 and i was wondering how hard the install will be and what tools i might need to do it?
Dont buy an awia mp3 player....

·
Safe Sex
3,228 Posts
ive done mine myself too... actually it was the 1st deck i ever installed, and it was hella easy... heres a post i made on the hu trim peice that i cut up to go around the deck to make it become more part of the dash
clicky
rush

·
Registered
711 Posts
Make sure you swap the brackets from the stock cd player (the metal things that are screwed in on the sides). It won't sit without those. You also need an antenna adapter...since nisssan decided to be Efin difficult:lick: It really is simple though. All the wires on the harness SHOULD be labled, so it SHOULD be a plug and play
And are you just replaceing the deck or doing subs, and amps, and junk, and stuff?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am considereing this as well. For those of you who have replaced the factory Head Unit with an aftermarket, and the aftermarket is high powered let's say 45w X4 did you bypass the clarion amps in the rear deck or did you still send the signal through the stock clarion amps?

·
Registered
80 Posts
First off 45w X4 Is not high powerd :lol:. that aside you could bypass the stock amps if you wanted to. but thats not the best way to go in my book. if you are planing on keeping the stock rear speekers then just get the wire harness that has RCA's the RCAs plug right into the back of the headunit just like if you were hooking up a regular amp.If you dont do this and atempt to run the headunit power plus the stock amps without the RCAs you will find your self with blown speekers in no time. aparently the RCAs act as some form of regulator or perhpas they only allow the amps to suply power to the speekers. regardless if you do it that way you will be very pleased. it worked for me 4 months the stock speekers still work great and i can crank my kenwood headunit up all the way with confidince that the speekers wont blow. also if you plan on adding another amp later(for subs) you will need to make your way down to radioshack and get some RCA spliters, because most likely your AUX plugs in the back of your headunit are being used by the other amps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts