Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the P11 owners putting in DETs, I started wondering if I could drop a lower-mileage roller-rocker SR20DE into my P10 and pick up the extra 5HP. How hard would this be to do?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Not impossible, as it has been done in a B14. It's not worth the effort, though. There are a number of sensors and actuators that are different, including the AACV, IAV, and temp senders to name a few. Roller engines are funky anyway; we have a really weird torque curve that indicates a poorly-designed intake manifold.

You'd be much better off to get a JDM engine with 30k miles (less than $500), a JWT ECU (less than $600) and a set of JWT cams (less than $600), and blow the doors off of us roller boys. You might even luck out with a Primera TE engine (10:1 compression), and not need the cams.

For less than the cost of a used roller engine, you could even get your engine rebored for flat-topped 87mm pistons from a 300ZX, rendering a little better than 11:1 compression, add a JWT ECU with the 11:1 program, and REALLY smoke us. Badly.

Hell; just installing a '91 intake cam on your engine would make more power than we do. Boo hoo for us, huh?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if its dirt cheap and u dont mind having worked for not much moe power y not?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
mattb said:
With all the P11 owners putting in DETs, I started wondering if I could drop a lower-mileage roller-rocker SR20DE into my P10 and pick up the extra 5HP. How hard would this be to do?
All that work for an earth-shattering, Civic-smoking 5hp?:p
Definately time for the CAI.;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
I thought they picked up the extra 5hp on those later model SR20DE's by putting the variable flow muffer in the exhaust?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G202Go said:
I thought they picked up the extra 5hp on those later model SR20DE's by putting the variable flow muffer in the exhaust?
Nope. That's whats Nissan would want you to believe. :-\
If you ever saw a demo on how the variable flow muffler actually works, you'll see what I mean.....:paranoid:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How hard would this swap be?

G202Go said:
NO. There's a lot more to it than that, and the muffler barely works into the equasion at all.
mattb said:
It was more the lower mileage I could get from a P11 engine....
My car is an '01, and I have more miles than most JDM engines would have. It's hard to find a JDM engine with more than 40k on it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
In Japan, when a car reaches about 30,000 miles on the clock (maybe it's 50k Kilometers?), the vehicle has to go through a complete inspection to be re-licensed for use on public roads. During this inspection, every bearing, every bushing, every seal, and every weld is examined with an ultra-fine-toothed comb. By the time the inspection is done and all "insufficient" parts are noted on a list, it's just as economical for a Japanese car owner to buy a new car as it would be to "fix" their cars. The result is thousands upon thousands of perfectly good engines and transmissions (not to mention bodywork, bodyglass, signal lenses, and so on) that just sit in a junkyard, discarded.

A few years ago, somebody got the brilliant idea to start importing either powertrains or even whole front clips to the US, where cars aren't "old" until they've clocked 150-200k miles. This is how we can get complete 30,000-mile engines and transmissions for $600 to your doorstep. Even special engines like SR20VEs or SR20DETs can be had for a fraction of the cost of a normal engine from a US junkyard.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
CowboyDren said:
This is how we can get complete 30,000-mile engines and transmissions for $600 to your doorstep. Even special engines like SR20VEs or SR20DETs can be had for a fraction of the cost of a normal engine from a US junkyard.
WE can get....?:surprised
I assume you work for a company that imports JDM parts(which would explain your vast SR20 knowledge.:eek: :monkey: ;) ).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nope. "We" as in US residents. Stock availability varies from week to week, but SOKO and K.Watanabe often have complete SR20DEs for $500. I've heard of the occasional $350 engine, but don't expect one to be sitting waiting for your call. :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
mattb said:
Wow, that's inexpensive. So why are DETs always above $1000?
Same reason that SR20VE's are pricey....supply 'n demand.;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I always thought the increase in price was due largely not to supply but just demand well then again think about how many VEs there are running??? But in either case most Nissan JDM engines are dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CowboyDren said:
I've heard of the occasional $350 engine, but don't expect one to be sitting waiting for your call. :)
Everytime someone here in Az has needed a motor (at least the ones i've helped swap) has been able to get one for under $500 shipped from Ca to Az. usually it's about $350-400+shipping. That's for a highport motor.

UltraOrange said:
then again think about how many VEs there are running???
10-15 in the US, maybe a few more that are unaccounted for.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
UltraOrange said:
I always thought the increase in price was due largely not to supply but just demand....
Ummm.....:-\
That's exactly what I meant.
Low supply/high demand=higher prices.
High supply/low demand=lower prices.

Economics 101.:nerd:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
JustinP10 said:
10-15(SR20VEs)in the US, maybe a few more that are unaccounted for.
:confused:

That's it??? 10-15(give or take a few)???:-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts