Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I post this here because I find it amusing and I need to laugh at myself because of my own stupidity. Well to be exact the stock belts last 7 years and 124k miles. How do I know this you ask...Driving home at 4 am on a dark highway 40 miles from home all of a sudden there was a noise, loss of power, smoke, and my headlights went really dim. Not to mention the brake light and battery light came on. Crazy enough the G kept on truckin with no alternator belt the remainder of the trip as well as started right up the next day!

Since this is the maintenance section I will post something about the belt change. This has already been said I'm sure. To change the belts on the p11 make sure you take the passenger tire and splash gaurd off. Do not even attempt to change the belts from up top. It's not going to happen. Make sure you have some long open end wrenches (17mm), because there's no room for sockets. Also get yourself some PB Blaster.

Also don't ever wait 7 years and 124k miles to change your belts.

·
Registered
20,851 Posts
Thats what I never understood, Infiniti keeps telling me that I need to replace my belts in teh11 or else they will break. The ones in my p10 still work, and that car is 6 year older. :-\

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks all for the statistics

·
Registered
906 Posts
I replaced mine at about 130K KMS. It was showing signs of cracking, but wasn't too bad. Better safe than sorry, belts are pretty cheap maintenance.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
As I remember they are tested by the OEM's to last 100,000 miles. Problem is that if the belt is more than 10 years old, it will most likely fail regardless of the mileage because of ozone attack. Ozone degrades rubber. Ozone is plentiful in the presence of electrical devices like an alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts