Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering how much power you turbo guys are putting at the wheel. I was thinking it couldn't be that much without just spinning tires through all the gears. Decided to actually ask the question because i'm considering a VE-t project and I also came across this. 950HP integra doing the 1/4 in 8.6. http://www.carthrottle.com/evil-950hp-honda-integra-cracks-the-14-mile-in-8-6-sec/

How much HP makes for a fun daily with some track days thrown in?

·
Registered
339 Posts
A friend of mine puts out over 500whp in his EG civic hatch, and it's his daily. As long as you have a good set of tires, it's not too bad honestly. Now, can you use all that power on the street? Not all the time, but it's still a blast! Ha ha

·
Lord Crodz
7,233 Posts
This, in my opinion, is too general of a question. There are so many factors. Gearing / gearbox, tires / wheels, where the power is etc. For a mild daily DE+t, VE+t, or DET, I would say around 3-350 whp on a GOOD set of tires and comparable wheel, decent gearbox (P11 LSD, Aftermarket diff etc), upgraded or good conditioned suspension components ( Polyurethane, Nylon, ) motor mounts, control arms etc. For your average willy nilly build in a pretty stock car, I'd say no more than around 250 whp or so.

OH and this is all relative to how you drive it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've been running around 240whp on my P11 for a while now, it's good but not enough, but even on cold days it gets cold enough where second doesn't grip. Thus too much FWD HP is when you can't hook second gear, because you will use it the most daily driving (unless you do nothing but highway driving).

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
This question is subjective but in a FWD, there comes a point where the power isn't transfered and you are just spinning wheels, breaking axles, wheel hop and torque steer. Some people feel all of this is part of the 'fun' and puts a big smile on their face. Others find it annoying and move onto RWD, AWD and/or leave or demod.

I like a nice balance myself (avoiding torque steer, breaking axles, useless spinning, etc.) It would seem to be right around 240hp with a proper DIFF is that perfect balance (and somewhere south of 200hp if you have no real LSD IMHO) <-- again, this is simply my own point of view and probably NOT the norm and many will disagree.

Each to their own.

...but I will say this, after driving a turbo G20 and experiencing the wheel spin, torque steer and wheel hop without actually putting the power down, I realized I no longer had a dream of owning a DET FWD (again, that is just me).

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
So I replied to this but it never posted....

Anyways. It was fun having 2 different motor setups over 500whp. Colin even drive one and would probably say that 500whp I overkill...and some. At that much power its not torque steer, its more like power lane changes. In any case a 500whp Gtir setup is awesome, but a DD is more fun at 300whp with a gt28r. Full boost at 3000rpm instant response and can still roast the tires with ease

·
Registered
946 Posts
Around 300 WHP with T28 .64 housing, 15psi, cams, 205-50-17 tires and a 6spd 4.13 FD torsen diff is just getting fun for a DD for me. My brothers car @ 22psi is even more tame with a .86 housing, 3.81 FD and 225-40-18 tires. To be honest I think 400 whp would be streetable if setup with the right gearing and turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.