Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Jaguar XJS 1989 coupe hardtop with only 23,000 miles on it? It needs alot of cosmetic work and it hasn't been driven in a while. But the brute is a 5.3 V12 and is one of the best handleing sports cars out there. I have a lawyer freind at my church who's sister owns it and they are trying to sell it for 10,000. For the shape that its in RIGHT NOW that may look like a bad idea but a complete restore wouldn't cost much. I was thinking about offering 7-8 grand....what do you guys think? (23K!!!!!) maybe i can get some pics later

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
well it does have more torque than an entire honda dealership. but i know those things are terribly unreliable. the gas mileage on them is suv-like and the bodys rust like crazy. maybe if its a southern car, or they dont use road salt in wisconsin.

for anything over $4k, i wouldnt touch it, even if it is worth more.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well the blue book on that car in 'fair' condition is 4125, and even in 'excellent' condition it's only around 5k. So...7-8 grand is alittle much, especially since you say it needs cosmetic work...it will probably need engine work too.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
those v12's are insane to maintain. my friend is trying to find an engine, they go for $150. he's going to disassemble it and make a table out of it.

$10k sounds really high.

Here's the info from Manheim Gold Book:

1989 JAGUAR XJS V12 Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show Loan
CONVERTIBLE (13,197 mfd) 1988-91 5.4/244 V12 9,000 14,000 19,000 29,000 S 12,500

So "fair" is valued at 9k... but still, it's going to be a project and parts aren't as readily available as others. keep that in mind. I'd pass.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,128 Posts
you know, you can print out all the valuations at all the car sites that say it's worth 4-5 grand, then show it to the guy, and be like, "i'm not paying more than what these guys are saying!" having cash in hand also helps. BUT, this is only if you REALLY want the car. just because it's low miles doesn't mean grandfather time hasn't taken his own toll on it.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
My ex girls dad had one with 30k miles, the thing caught on fire everytime he started it. The car is very clean too, always garage kept and maintained, he never drove it because everytime he did it would burst in flames and have other issues.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The reliability and maintenance needs for Jags of that era are horrendous. If you *really* like them and also know a Jag mechanic on a first name basis then go for it. If not then walk away while your wallet is still intact.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dang....i know all the precautions but man, I at least have to keep him hanging on a little while so i can drive it a few times :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
i knew a dude whos neighbor used to have 2 of the exact same model jags, so that he would have one every time the other was in the shop....

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
My grandparents have a perfect condition '91 XJS V12 convertible that they got with similarly low miles a few years ago. It needed a huge amount of engine work immediately after they bought it due to the fact that it was driven so little (thankfully the Cadillac dealership they bought it from also sold them an extended warranty). It's not a very reliable car.

That being said, it's gorgeous to look at and the V12 engine has a huge amount of power.

I would be wary of a Jag that needs cosmetic work. It probably has mechanical problems lurking too, and LOOK OUT when that happens, here comes a huge bill.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Just like everyone says....THESE CARS ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN AND HAVE EXTENSIVE ENGINE ISSUES.

I had driven one back in 1994. They have lots of torque...but really aren't very fast with their 3 speed auto. Kind of gutless for a V12...but the engine is smooth.

Parts and Labor will easily outweigh the purchase price of the car without any doubt. Definitely save your money and don't do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts