Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The P10 needed belts BADLY, so here you go, pretty simple and takes a an hour or so. This is for stock belts. They will set you back about $30 for two of them.

Tools: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets, 10mm , 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm open end wrench.

Get your car jacked up, and put on jack stands, remove the passanger side wheel and fender lining, the front passanger side lining under the radiator as well. Pop the hood open and we will start from there.

New Belts, yea!!

Nasty cracked belt compared to the new one

Start by loosening these two bolts.

Back this one out as far as you can.

Now crawl under the car and loosen this 17mm nut by the alternator. With all these loosened you can then move the alternator and remove the belt going from the crank to the alternator/AC compressor.

Now comes the hard part, removing the belt that goes to the PS and water pump.

There are two very similar bolts on the bracket to the PS pump. These are pretty hard to get at, so take your open end wrench and loosen the bolt that locks down the adjustment screw. The lower arrow in this picture.

Once you get that loose, you can try and get to this from the top as shown, or just put the ratchet on there, crawl under the car and start loosening this from the bottom. I found it much easier to do it that way. Back this out as far as you can.

From there loosen this 14mm nut on the PS bracket, its another tough one to get to, but dooable none the less. Now you should be able to move the PS pump far enough forward to remove the belt.

Installation is just the opposite of removal, if your doing both belts, the PS/WP belt must go on first, then put the AC/Alt belt on next. Tighten to a comfortable level. If the belts squeal, then you need to tighten them some more.

Yep, thats about it, have fun with this one ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
nice writeup!!

beware the powersteering belt is a pia!! somethings that may help you are is if you get a ratcheting wrench with a 30* offset like these ones from harborfreight.

they work wonders at loosening the power steering bolt and make it much easier to tighten once you get the new belt on

also make sure the motor is cold, because its very uncomfortable to loosen the powersteering bolt with your hand lying on a hot motor!!!

joe a.k.a wiggy a.k.a wiggles

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I found that the long bolt (PS Pump) is best loosened with one of those really short stubby ratchets, or better yet, one that fits in your palm with no handle ("thumbwheel"). Just not enough room in there to swing anything effectively, but you shouldn't need much torque. Haven't tried the offset ratchet. Always envious of those folks who live in the SW US and don't have to contend with rust and corrosion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
For the really long bolts (the ones you use for adjusting the tension on the belts), i found the easiest way to loosen/tighten them was to use an air ratchet- it was a tight fit, but i couldn't get a regular wrench/ratchet in there at all.
Also, when Pat's instructions say "loosen"- DO NOT REMOVE the bolts entirely- they're a PITA to get back in.

one more thing- when i had problems getting the PS belt back on the pulley, i unraveled 2 wire hangers and bent them in half to make a U shape. i used those to pull the belt into place- it didn't take much force, just had to pull in 2 directions at once. after i was done, i just cut the hanger to get it out again, rather than fish it back out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i'm having a lot of trouble trying to get the PS belt back on. my original ripped in half, so getting it off was no problem. Taking off the alternator belt was also easy. But I'm having a hard time figuring out which nuts to loosen to get the PS pump to move a bit. I loosened one 14" nut on the bracket from underneath, and i loosened the nut that locks down the adjustment bolt. But there's no free play and I'm stuck, help!

·
Registered
220 Posts
oh wow i hate this. i got the ps belt on...but unfortunately I think i loosened the bolts too much...now it's damn near impossible to realign the ps pump.

**edit, Wow, yeah, I can't even begin to emphasize how important it is to NOT COMPLETELY UNDO the bolts that lock down the tensioner bolt, or the one at the base of the ps pump. It's taken me at least 4 hours to correct that error. I'm STILL trying to get the bolt that locks down the tensioner.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
As I noted before, it's much more PITA if you're in the NE with the salt/corrosion factor. I've twisted off the long adjusting bolt, even after putting on lots of Blaster and taking my time (in-and-out, one turn at a time), so now I've got a spare in stock just in case. I would strongly advise against air tools on the long adjusting bolt if you've got corrosion. Better to use a short-handled 3/8 ratchet so you limit how much torque you put to it.

You need to just loosen the bigger pivot bolt (14/17mm??) underneath just enough for the long adjuster bolt to be able to move the alternator/PS pump (like snug but not more than torqued a few ft-lbs) - on my cars, have to say I've never bothered to retightened 'em, so I don't have to do it the next time. You just have to loosen the short 12mm locking bolt on the side of the adjuster just enough to unlock it (loose enough so you can turn it by hand).

Another trick (after you've loosened everything up), especially if you're bypassing the A/C pump with the shorter belt, is to use a big screw driver or pry bar, get the belt started on as much as possible (in the right direction), use the pry bar to "convince" it to thread on the rest of the way, then have someone hit the starter (be sure and unplug the ignition and not get your hand in the way)- goes right on!! Those new belts can be pretty stiff! Also, need to go back and readjust a new belt after you've run it for awhile.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Just a warning for everyone. Whatever you do, don't pull out the screw that holds the alternator to the motor. If you do......your literally gona have a lot, A LOT of fun putting it back in :dead:. I had to do this to my car this past weekend because the dumb ass that owned my G20 before me never put it back in. Me and my bro spent almost all day trying to get the dumb piece of shit screw back in. Unless there is an easy way to put it back in because we sure as hell could not find an easy way. Unless you raise the motor?? But i dont have this luxury lol.

Im never gona work on the stupid alternator again. Im gona pay someone to replace it from now on LOL.

·
Registered
844 Posts
THANK YOu!!

I just picked up those 2 belts at motorcade down the street.. 31 bux for me and now i've got the How toooo!! probly 1st thing i'll do next week

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there a trick to loosen that 17 mm alternator bolt? I tried everything including W40 but it wouldn't budge. Cut myself in the process also :( I bled so much lol

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
you just need to loosen the nut. The nut is on the passenger side and an offset wrench is the tool to use. Makes it very simple. Is it a 17? I just did this and I grabbed the 17 and I swear it was too big and I ended up using a 14.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah im pretty sure its a 17. I couldnt get it to budge at all 3vem with the offset wrench. I think I will try using a cheater bar?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts