Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of threads for cleaning the egr but every how-to I could find was for high ports. Here is a how to with some pics for low ports...

Remove the intake tube between the throttle body and the MAF.
Remove the BPT valve and bracket. There are 2 10mm bolts holding the bracket that can be easily removed with a small wrench. They are behind the hoses in this pic (yellow arrows). Also remove the 3 tubing connections on the BPT 2 on top 1 on the bottom (red arrows).

Unscrew the nut on the EGR tube (red arrow). I don't know what size it is - I used a large adjustable wrench. Push the tube down out of your way. Remove 2 12mm bolts.

Pull the EGR valve out. Remove the little metal tube on the side...its a 10mm nut. Spray lots of carb cleaner inside and make sure the valve operates smoothly.

Spray carb cleaner through the little tube. I used a bent paper clip to make sure the hole was clear.

Putting everything back is just the reverse of taking it apart...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nox was high on the emissions test so I figured it couldn't hurt to clean the EGR...haven't had a retest yet to see if it helped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was pretty cruddy...the small tube was definitely restricted with crud and the valve operates more smoothly after the cleaning. I think it was worth the time since it was pretty easy to do...took about an hour and a half total and I fiddled around a lot and took photos. I have 220K miles :)

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
^It's for the purposes of emissions. You don't need it, you can buy a blockoff kit, but that me reduce your street legality.

EGR= Exhaust Gas Recirculation, pretty self explainitory how it works.

Good write up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this is old, but it came in handy tonight. Thanks Joel (morbert) for providing this great write-up!!

I saw a question by skillzadrian that may also find this handy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question.... how do you test the egr valve when it is out of the vehicle?

"Pull the EGR valve out. Remove the little metal tube on the side...its a 10mm nut. Spray lots of carb cleaner inside and make sure the valve operates smoothly."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Question.... how do you test the egr valve when it is out of the vehicle?
Let me see if I can explain clearly enough: the top part of the EGR consists of a circular housing; if you look at the bottom of this piece, you will see a disk inside. As you depress this disk you should see it lift inside of the housing. It may feel a bit rough at first. Spray enough cleaner inside the different ports until it moves freely repeatedly.

Mine moved without difficulty when I first tried it, but it felt a bit rough (like it was scraping aginst something rough). It moved more freely as I cleaned it thoroughly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can perform that EGR squeeze test without removing it - just did it. Take off the BPT and bracket and you have full access to the EGR where you can lift the underside to see if it is stuck or scratchy.

In my case, I had a p0400 code and found a blown vacuum hose under the BPT.

Now, to find time to fix the p0325 before inspection is required again!

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can perform that EGR squeeze test without removing it - just did it. Take off the BPT and bracket and you have full access to the EGR where you can lift the underside to see if it is stuck or scratchy.

In my case, I had a p0400 code and found a blown vacuum hose under the BPT.

Now, to find time to fix the p0325 before inspection is required again!
I had the same p0400 code AND the same cracked vacuum hose under the BPT! SMH Glad its fixed and no more CEL! :teeth:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same p0400 code AND the same cracked vacuum hose under the BPT! SMH Glad its fixed and no more CEL! :teeth:
Where do you guys get these hoses?

Edit: went to kragen/oreilly (only place open) and got a "vacuum hose"

I was trying to ask for a transmission cooler hose or a heater hose but the guys that work there are complete idiots. Hopefully this will last long enough to get a silicon hose in the mail

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have my CEL on and just followed on how to clean the EGR valve. I found that the vacuum hose is cracked, i've replaced and and put it back together. My question is do I need to reset the CEL or it will reset by itself? Thanks in advance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts