this might be a dumb question
but what do you accomplish when you do this
FRAUD.:x

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
nismoanticipating said:
but is there any reason you would want to do that
Yes. To "ensure" the 4 year/60000 miles warranty is honored for 4 years, to make a potential owner of the car think he's buying an "45000 mile well-maintained car driven by an old lady" when in fact he's buying a 100000+ mile heavily abused G20.:eek:

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
fraud equals= warrratee not running out like lets say you got a 60 thousand mile warrantee then at 50 u disconnect you comit fraud but you still got warrantee

or for those that lease you may have like 12thousand a year to drive so you dont go over you disconect

really what happens is people consider it fraud because people will do this practice then sell a car and you just might be the one on the receiving end of a dud car because the owner did this but if you are someone thats keeping the car for a very long time or forever like some of us then it doesnt really matter alot of us will end up swapping engines too so this like petty fraud unless you are trying to fraud someone into buying the car
casual

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

Yes. To "ensure" the 4 year/60000 miles warranty is honored for 4 years, to make a potential owner of the car think he's buying an "45000 mile well-maintained car driven by an old lady" when in fact he's buying a 100000+ mile heavily abused G20.:eek:

Well, it's my understanding that the ECU records speed/rpm data, or perhaps just when there is something out of whack. If that is true, then a sharp tech would be able to find this out pretty quickly and all hell will break loose. Most likely the warranty will be void (cannot verify mileage) and if it's a leased car, I'd hate to think what the ramifications are. :eek:

There was just a discussion on the SE-R list or one of the boards about this.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
im wondering if the ecu will keep on running the mileage even though the tach stops i would be interested to know ..
geo do you happen to have that link to where this was discussed
casual

·
Registered
180 Posts
couldn't you just reset your ECU? I still don't think it's a good idea though..........:alien:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
casual said:
im wondering if the ecu will keep on running the mileage even though the tach stops i would be interested to know ..
geo do you happen to have that link to where this was discussed
casual
The tach will still work, but the speed sensor won't (and thus your cruise control BTW). IIRC the ECU will know something is up if the enigne is operating normally, but no speed is registered.

I don't have the link handy because I don't remember if it was one of the forums or the SE-R list. I think it was the SE-R list. There was a discussion about the speed sensor and what the ECU did with the info. You might try a search there.

SeminoleG20 said:
couldn't you just reset your ECU? I still don't think it's a good idea though..........:alien:
I doubt it would clear that. You don't clear everything when you reset the ECU - only the things Nissans wants to be reset. =)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
NOTE

every time you go into the dealer, they record your mileage.. so fraud is often found out..

every time you go for any state emmissions test, your mileage is recordec..

every time you buy/sell - transfer a title, mileage is recorded..

every time there is any accident claimed on insurance, mileage is recorded..

SO that is why there is CARFAX and others to help folks KNOW if someone tampered with a car and is now trying to scam someone!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where does the odometer get it's info from? When I get around to doing my turbo swap, it would be nice if my mileage matched the engine rather than the car.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah they record the mileague when you sell a car etc, BUT were not retarding the mileague like most people do that get caught were just freezing it from going. I really dont know if it records into your ECU and i frankly dont care because im going to have the car forever. The reason i am doing is if i decide to sell the car i get more money which im not. But most people that do this have leased their G20. Like i said ive gone to the dealership and they havent found out. The girl that owned a G20 that i know traded her G20 in with 40,100 and she really had like 70,000 to MY dealership and they gave her like 13,500 it was a 99' and they didnt find out and i bet they tapped in. It sucks how our car looses its value so quick.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your check engine light goes on ansd your OVER DRIVE if auto will blink 3 times when you turn on the car. I was told that it doesnt get recorded into the ECU blah blah blah but im not sure and like i said i dont care. The reason why i did it also was because in one year i put 26,000 on my car imagine that being a lease.

12Cents a mile over 12,000 i would be paying $1680 for this past year

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
o.k.

but it makes it pretty sad for the next owner who thinks they are getting a 40K mile car that has 70K and needs more service items done to it etc. etc.

There is a reason for the law..

I can almost understand cheating by a few thousand because of leasing pentalties but NOT a 10 or 20 thousand and up!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Domiken said:
I really dont know if it records into your ECU and i frankly dont care because im going to have the car forever. The reason i am doing is if i decide to sell the car i get more money which im not.
What a bunch of horsepucky. This is fraud and illegal. It also pisses me off. What about the poor bastard who buys your car? Or Nissan who gets ripped off, causing me to have to pay more for my next Nissan?

Domiken said:
The reason why i did it also was because in one year i put 26,000 on my car imagine that being a lease.

12Cents a mile over 12,000 i would be paying $1680 for this past year
And that would make it OK? I don't think so.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
no punctuation included--sorry just wanted to type and get it done

first of all i hope we all could keep on discussing this without taking it to the heart
see the thing is i feel this is very sad when it comes to those who are trying to sell their car to someone else.. thats really messed up or even if you trading back in to nissan that is crazy cuz it affects us all well even for those who are trying to avoid voiding warrantee but some of those reasons aare worse then others
what domiken did was just share the info to others he was not trying to promote it in anyway and clearly claimed he's not sure all the effects of it..

if people feel that our prices will go up because of stuff like this come on we agree think about it we got p11's too we pay the price too just like you...

its so funny how people jump to protects corporate rights but fail to realize the many ways corporate tries to trap us in their own business practices its like customer vs dealer

speaking of fraud my insurance is like illegaly high priced i think it should be against the law how much we have to pay for insurance but theres nothing you can do about it cuz u got like thousands out there comitting fraud and raises it for me
but i'm not bitter though i pay it like they require me to with no questions asked but i then feel cornered and it puts me in the situation of trying to find out ways to get over on them

blah blah blah you get what i'm trying to say i'm not debating wether its ok to do this or not just stating some opinions

is it fair for me to be paying so much for other peoples practices? no
is it fair for corporate because people do these types of practices?no

so the battle continues
at least here we dont have to be tight lipped about all this and can talk about what really goes on out there as oppose to trying to live in fantasy land and never know the real deal..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts