Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im tryin to figure out how i can get about 200+++++ hp out of my sr20de without turbo and nos????? :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hope that a rich uncle dies and leaves you all his money.

200hp out of an N/A motor is not going to be cheap or easy. Either get a turbo or a VVL engine. You'll save yourself a lot of money and headache.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Cue-Ball said:
Hope that a rich uncle dies and leaves you all his money.

200hp out of an N/A motor is not going to be cheap or easy. Either get a turbo or a VVL engine. You'll save yourself a lot of money and headache.
It's not cheap, but it can most certainly be done. Several of us have done it. As for easy, it just depends upon your skill level and patience. Actually, it's more about patience and ability to read and follow instructions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
200 WHP

Bluebird Manifold
Bluebird T25 Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
3" Exhaust
370cc Injectors
JWT ECU
Stock MAF
ACT Clutch
1st Gen Eclipse BOV

Viola! 200HP!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I believe Mike Kojima has done this with a classic SE-R. But he had to change everything. Pistions, cams, pullies, flywheel, polish and porting, balancing, intake, header, exhaust, ecu, and I think bigger fuel injectors. After all that he just got above 200hp. I think it was in the ballpark of 205hp. But with all the money that you'd have to spend on that, you'd be better off with a engine swap.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry

I skimmed through and didn't notice the "W/O Turbo or NOS" ! The only 2 people that I know of that have gone past 170 whp are Rob Cadle and Mike Kojima. Mike Kojima's car was built from the ground up. Rob Cadle's car was abone stock US Spec DE with JWT C series cams and custom programming!

The easliest way to get as close to 200 WHP as possible would be to get an SR20VE block mated to an SR16VE Head. This should get you close to 200 whp. This swap will be pretty costly and very labor intensive!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
They just dynoed a stock SR20VE in Cali over the weekend in an NX2000. With an old stillen header, ghetto intake, JWT ECU (for the vvl stuff) and no exhaust it put down 176.6whp and around 147 ft.lbs of torque.
Like Louis said with a modded SR20VE (something with SR16 cams, better set of headers, lightened flywheel, etc...) 200whp could be easily obtained. I'd guess.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
JustinP10 said:
They just dynoed a stock SR20VE in Cali over the weekend in an NX2000. With an old stillen header, ghetto intake, JWT ECU (for the vvl stuff) and no exhaust it put down 176.6whp and around 147 ft.lbs of torque.
Like Louis said with a modded SR20VE (something with SR16 cams, better set of headers, lightened flywheel, etc...) 200whp could be easily obtained. I'd guess.
Mmmmmm, me likie! Just another option to add to the option list. :-\

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
How much are the SR20VE's going for now?

I will assume they are still more than the BB-DET???? Or has the availablility of the VE's grown in the US?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
NismoPC said:
How much are the SR20VE's going for now?

I will assume they are still more than the BB-DET???? Or has the availablility of the VE's grown in the US?
They are still more. I'm thinking if you have air testing and they are really tight assed about 'blow-dryer' looking things hanging off your motor this would be a sweet option.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Re: Sorry

TurbochargedSER said:
The only 2 people that I know of that have gone past 170 whp are Rob Cadle and Mike Kojima.
Don't forget about our staff member "Geo" (George Roffe). His car is almost identical to Mike K's.

He posted the link above to his site. You can see what is involved.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: Sorry

TurbochargedSER said:
The only 2 people that I know of that have gone past 170 whp are Rob Cadle and Mike Kojima. Mike Kojima's car was built from the ground up. Rob Cadle's car was abone stock US Spec DE with JWT C series cams and custom programming!
Actually, a few of us have built clones of Mike's engine now. Mine of course bit the dust due to steel shot in the head. :angry: Mike Pahls and a number of others have built them. Those of us who have dyno'd our cars have come a few hp short of Mike's. I've got some ideas why that is. Also, Jack Laverty (sp?) in CT (not on the SE-R list or forum or this forum) has a NA SE-R with lots of JUN stuff and I'm 99% certain he has dyno'd over 170.

As for Rob's former engine, it was a JDM engine. I don't know what he hit with the C3 programming, but I was there when he hit 169 at the wheels with stock maps (but raised rev limit) with the C2/C3 cams and the cam timing adjusted (although I think JWT has changed the cam timing to the settings he used). Also, the internals were bone stock JDM, but it had all the bolt-ons.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just go for a nice Blue Bird T25 setup and save yourself some time, headaches, and money. I dont see why you would want to try and get that much HP out of a N/A motor when it would be so much more benifical to just turbo...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
2002G20Racer said:
Just go for a nice Blue Bird T25 setup and save yourself some time, headaches, and money. I dont see why you would want to try and get that much HP out of a N/A motor when it would be so much more benifical to just turbo...
There is something special about high output normally aspirated engines. The throttle response is so immediate. You don't get quite the kick in the back, but that's because the power curve is more linear.

Also, since a decent BB DET install runs about $4-5k, the NA engine isn't a whole lot more and you end up with an engine that is totally rebuilt. I could also build an engine that would be about 95% of what I built before for a lot less money and probably as cheap as or cheaper than a good DET install.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Geo said:
Also, since a decent BB DET install runs about $4-5k, the NA engine isn't a whole lot more and you end up with an engine that is totally rebuilt. I could also build an engine that would be about 95% of what I built before for a lot less money and probably as cheap as or cheaper than a good DET install.
Yeah but the new SR20VE options are looking pretty sweet now. I think that would be the way to go for serious N/A power. The dyno chart I saw 174hp/143tq at the wheels! That's with a shitty header open exhaust. Pretty good numbers. It goes on my option list. ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
G-Forces said:

Yeah but the new SR20VE options are looking pretty sweet now. I think that would be the way to go for serious N/A power. The dyno chart I saw 174hp/143tq at the wheels! That's with a shitty header open exhaust. Pretty good numbers. It goes on my option list. ;)
You know, that's a really good point.

Despite the VE being initially more expensive, I'll bet it's cheaper over all than either swap. You don't have an intercooler or piping to worry about. You don't have to worry about getting an engine with a blown turbo or missing various turbo bits.

Once HS gets their VE header done, it should be a killer at a really good price.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Geo said:
Despite the VE being initially more expensive, I'll bet it's cheaper over all than either swap. You don't have an intercooler or piping to worry about. You don't have to worry about getting an engine with a blown turbo or missing various turbo bits.
Right! Never thought of that either. From lurking on the VE forum in sr20deforums.com it looks like you can get away with your stock ECU! Just swap in the stock DE 259cc injectors, use your stock MAF, wire up some rpm switches for the cam switch over solenoids and you're good to go.

I could see some 200+hp N/A cars soon. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :D=)

·
Registered
424 Posts
somehow I don't buy the thought of "swapping" engine, though the VE certainly has potential. but the troublesome to swap the engine? might as well turbo the DE.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts