Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for those of us who desire heated seats but their Gs didnt come with them. This car is my brothers car, but I am the mastermind behind the wiring, so I took the time to document how I installed factory heated seats from a P11 into my brothers P11. This how to can also be used for aftermarket heated seats in both the P10 and P11 and I will explain how further into the write up.

So a little back story my brother and I were strolling the junkyard when we came across a P11 with heated seats. So we snagged the full setup after bullshitting the junkyard people for $70.

Here are the list of parts we got for that $70 and this what you will need if your swapping heated seats into a non heated seat P11:

1. Entire Floor Harness (You will need to rip up the carpet to get to this harness. Its the harness that plugs into the seats, seat belts etc... Its pretty self explanatory.

2. Center console heated seat control switches.

3. The heated seats, or just the heated pads.

Wiring of the seats is easy if you have the entire full harness for the G. You just remove your current floor harness and put the one wired for the heated seats in its place, plug and play its easy. Now my harness came out of a 2001, my brothers car is a 99. The only thing the 99 had that the 01 did not was that the harness connector for the rear O2 sensor. Since my brother is running a DET in his G and that rear O2 sensor is disabled we did not worry about it. All one would have to do if they need that rear O2 sensor would be to trace the wires to their designated harnesses and de-pin and re-pin the new harness to match. Pretty simple, only 4 wires.

Here are the harnesses next to each other for comparison:

And the connector ends:
This harness contains that wires needed to power the heated seats, 99 non heated on the left, 01 heated on the right.

This picture shows the additional 3 pins the 99 harness (left) has for the rear O2 sensor vs the 01 (right) which does not have the rear O2 sensor:

The heated seat control switches are self explanatory, you unscrew them from the donor console, pop out the switch blanks on your console and install the switches in their place, plug them into the main harness for the seats and call it a day.

Thats it for the wiring, if your doing a factory swap in. Simple.

Now the tedious part is installing the heated pads into non heated seats. If the seats you find are in good condition or better condition than your current seats and they match swap seats, plug everything in and your finished. If your like my brother and have seats that do not match and the donor seats are tore up your going to want to pay attention to the next few steps.

What you will need:
New hog rings (Roughly 50-75)
Wire cutters
Hog ring pliers (Can typically be ordered off ebay and come with hog rings, or at an upholstery shop)
spray adhesive
12mm-14mm sockets and socket wrench
Razor blade
Patience

Ok first thing to do is remove the heating pads from the donor seats. Since these seats were pretty beat up, water logged and one the side impact air bag deployed, I just used a razor blade and carefully carved out the heating pads, it was easier for me I just went around the perimeter. Those of you who are afraid of cutting the pads by accident just take your time and take the seats apart with the steps shown below:

These pads are what we are after:
Bottom heater pad with outer leather skin removed:

Upper heater pad with outer leather skin removed:

The donors:

The receivers:

Start by removing these 2 hog rings by using the wire cutter to cut them free:

Then you need to remove the bottom cushion from the seat bracket by removing these (4) 12mm bolts:

Remove all attached wiring harnesses and the cushion will come away from the seat brackets like so:

Start removing the outer skin of the seat by cutting away all the visible hog rings away from the metal skeleton of the seat:

Start by carefully pulling the leather away from the seat, you will find that as you carefully peel the leather away there is hog rings down in the seat holding the skin down:

Carefully remove all hog rings, taking note to where each one is installed until you can successfully remove the skin from the seat, once you achieved this you will be left with just the inner cushion:

Now at this point you can remove install the heated pad:
You will notice that at the top there are two loops where the pads can be secured to the seats via hog rings. I did this and I did one step further, you dont have to do this but I liked the idea of keeping the pads in place. I took some spray adhesive and carefully sprayed around the perimeter of the pads, being careful not to get glue on the coil in the pads.

Now that the heated pads are in place we can put the skins back on, you want to start by installing hog rings on the inner parts of the seat. I first started with the hog rings that secure the heated pads to the seat then I worked my way around on the inner parts and then finally the outside parts. Here is a pic of how the new rings go in the pliers:

Installing them:

Install everything in reverse order as above and that takes care of the bottom cushion.

We now need to do the tops which is by far the easiest. Start by removing the back panel of the seats, pull from the bottom (NOT THE TOP!) The back will break away from the seats and you will see this:

You will then want to remove these hog rings:

Then pop loose (the 4) what I call the plastic "hooks" on the inner parts of the seat back:

Now roll up the sides of the skin to expose the (4) 14mm bolts you will need to remove to separate the seat back from the seat bracket:

Once those 4 bolts are removed, you can now roll the skin up high enough till you reach these 2 hog rings, remove them:

Now you can install the heating pad in the same fashion as you did the bottom cushion:

Reinstall everything in reverse of removal and your seat will look like it did when you started:

Plug the seats into your car thats already wired for the seats and enjoy heated seats!

Now this same thing can be applied when using aftermarket heated seats. You can even use the aftermarket heating pads with factory heated seat switches for that factory look. Various Nissans/Infinitis of that era that had heated seats used the same switches. This makes acquiring that factory look with aftermarket availability.

What you will need to do is wire you car up according to the instructions stated with the aftermarket seats you buy and install the heated pads in the same fashion is mentioned above. Below is how you can use Nissan/Infiniti factory switches to power your aftermarket heated seats

This is the wiring diagram for the switches for a P11 taken from the FSM:

Basically the diagram says this:
Heated seat left:
Black = Ground
Pink = High heated seat setting
Brown w/White Stripe = Low heated seat setting
Green w/Red Stripe = 12v Ignition

Heated seat right:
Black = Ground
Shielding braid = High heated seat setting
Orange w/Black Stripe = Low heated seat setting
Green w/Orange Stripe = 12v Ignition

Knowing this you can now match the schematic of the aftermarket heated seats to be controlled by the factory switches by matching the wires to the correct signal wires.

Happy Heated Seats!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Very good information, hopefully the 2000 up p11s already have the harness option of the heated seats. This project would be tempting if I was somewhere colder...

Now, if you figured out how to do AC seats, I would drop everything and be all over that :smile:

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Anybody have a schematic diagram for a 1999 heated seat plug. I swapped heated seats and the switches into my non heated seat car. PLugs are in the center console. Now I have the heated seat plugs and pig tail. Im hoping I can hardwire this in somehow...possibly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is one awesome write-up. Good job, especially with all the comparison and in-process pictures. I was considering doing this same mod in my 99 with non-heated seats. This will make it so much easier

·
Registered
364 Posts
if im swapping seats from my g20 that has heated seat to my other g20 that goes have heated seats, i swapping the whole so i dont have to swapped the heating elements, just the wiring harnesses. how long do you think it will take?

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
if im swapping seats from my g20 that has heated seat to my other g20 that goes have heated seats, i swapping the whole so i dont have to swapped the heating elements, just the wiring harnesses. how long do you think it will take?
Is anyone else confused with what he's asking? Before posting a question, go back and read it before you post it. You might also want to check spelling, grammar, etc.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am thinking that he has seats that are heated but swapping them seats that are in better condition that are heated. Just wants to know how long it will take.

Take one seat out disconnect from harness.. same for passenger... put all seats back in and plug them up and you are done.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Excellent

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Good work. I think the 00+ have the harness already there. At least I though I saw a few unused connectors when I removed my seats to clean
Bringing this back from the dead. Can anyone with a non heated seat factory p11 confirm if they have unused 2 wire plugs under their seats?

Trying to confirm on whether or not all is needed are the heated pads and the console center switches + switch harness.

Thanks!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
You will also need a sub harness from a heated seats car. I parted out about 4 cars back in the day and added heated seats to a non heated car. I swapped the seats. The sub harness that plugs into the main harness. Two heated seat switches and the two front seats.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
You will also need a sub harness from a heated seats car. I parted out about 4 cars back in the day and added heated seats to a non heated car. I swapped the seats. The sub harness that plugs into the main harness. Two heated seat switches and the two front seats.
Thanks for the response. I guess I’m still trying to figure out if even the non heated cars came with the power supply portion of the harness (2 wire single plug) under the passenger and driver seats. Maybe you answered this above and I’m just not understanding.

Trying to help a guy out on here who inquired about the set of heated pads, center console switches, and the wires that connect or plug the switches into the harness. What I don’t have is the supply wires that run to the seats. But my thoughts were that maybe those wires came on all g20s, sort of like the fog light wiring so that dealers could upgrade and install factory options/components.

I asked the guy to check under his seats to see if any empty plug is floating around. If he has them it should make the install a little bit easier, as he won’t need to pull up his carpet to change out the entire floor harness.

Hope that made sense, and thanks again.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Here she what I recall. I purchased a ‘99 p11 from California and had it shipped to Canada. It had no heated seats but did have power seats. I drove it like this for a year. Then I purchased another p11 from nyc as pictured in my avatar and had two white p11s. The ny. Car had heated power seats. Some years later after buying and selling multiple p11s. I began parting some out. That’s when I found beige heated seats Tom do the swap as most interiors were black. Having both cars n front of me made the swap easy. I recall unbolting both sets of seats and removing th carpet. The difference being the car with hearted seats had a sub harness that plugged in to the main car harness near the power seats that ran 12v to the center console to activate the heated switch button.

I’m pretty sure if you search my earlier posts from maybe 10+ years ago I was selling a set. I see you’re pm and I’ll reply to it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts