Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the urge to fill the large gaping holes in my front bumper after the mods I did to it when Installing the WW lip.

So I went to the local home depot and picked up two 1/2" X 12" X 24" expanded metal lathe sheets, you know the stuff for barbeques and began hacking away.

First off, it really helps to have a good industrial belt sander, tin snips, a welder, and about 8 hours of time to kill.

To make the lower portion I had to fabricate a mounting bracket that bolts onto the lower frame of the car. There are some convenient holes there that I hd to re-tap to accomodate some screws I had (1/4-20). You can see the bracket and front fillers that are there hanging waiting for the paint to dry. I rough cut the metal oversize and bent it to shape, then welded on some tabs to mount to the bracket. There is an image of the assembly out of the car.

The front grille was a pain in the @$$!! Lots of sanding/grinding to get it fitting right and figuring out how to mount it. I finally got it to fit good, and luckily the existing mounting tabs happend to be inline to weld some long screws onto the back of the grille. I also had to weld some tabs on the top to keep it in and put in a set screw right behind the hood latch to keep it in place. Not to mention the minor hood mods I had to do to get it to stay in place. Trust me, a lot of work but well worth it.

So far it looks solid and Ill check in a couple of days to see if the screws loosen.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Man that's nice! I like how it sits somewhat flush to the rest of the hood! Very good job. :cool:

·
LAST5DOA
2,348 Posts
Nicey Nice!

Smooth! I agree w/ G-Forces- I like how it's flush. I was gonna make one and put a rubber gasket around the grille, now I like it how you did it.

Glad to see you FINALLY got your lip/front painted! I must say I ~REALLY~ like how your "smoothed over" fog light housing came out, especially after the paint job!!! PROPS, got any "xtreme" close ups of your foglight?

Very nice job!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the props guys, its always good to get positive feed back on things...

I also repainted the grill and bottom section silver just for shits and giggles. I dont have a font on shot of it but let me know which you like better...Im unsure...and BTW ill be getting some white rims for your info..

Oh yeah, Ill be selling the stock grill minus the emblem for $75 if anyone wants it. Look in the
classifieds.. first one to email me gets it...

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2606#post2606

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried to do this exact same thing this weekend but couldn't find any mesh that i liked. All i could find at the Home Depot was chicken-wire type stuff. I'll have to go back again tonight and look again. The mesh grille looks really nice. I think i like the recessed fit better, but your car looks great with the flush as well. Great job, man!

BTW> I couldn't get the first pic to work. Is it just me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
GOOD JOB

wow, i like how you have it flush, thats great.... yea, it takes a long time to make huh. thats what im saying... jeesh, but good work!!~

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Home Depot. I went to two different Home Depots in my area and neither had the heavier stuff like Yahnozha and Dakine used. Am I looking in the wrong section? All I could find was the cheap thin stuff that rusts with any moisture at all. Is there any where else I can get this stuff? Thanks and nice job with your grills.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where to find mesh

Okay, seems like there is some trouble finding the particular mesh.

I found it at Home Depot in the section that carries the raw materials. You know the angle iron and aluminium barstock. It was right next to the wire and rope section. If not Ive included a photo of the stuff.

The SKU Number is 30699 45830

There is a little 0 in the front and a little 1 at the end outside the bar code but I dont think they use those numbers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Okay, i went back to Home Depot tonight and found the right stuff. It's not in the aisle with the other fencing and mesh but is located close to the nails. If you describe it really well, they can show you where it's at. It's about $20 for a sheet and it's pretty damn sturdy stuff. You'll probably need a pair of wire cutters to work with it (i bought a set for $13 while i was there). I got the exact same stuff that Yahnozha has but there is a problem. The mesh runs the wrong way! In other words, the mesh runs across in the "short" direction instead of the other direction. So, if i were to cut a grille out from this material, the diamond-oval type openings would be facing vertically instead of horizontally. This would look like ass, so i'm going to have to take this back and see if another store has it with the bars running the correct way. This stuff is very hefty. I'm not sure if i've got the tools to cut this and make it look right. Also, i have no way to weld brackets onto the mesh so i'm not sure how i would go about attaching the grille to the car. I will probably just forget about making a grille like this and will buy an '02 grille instead.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cue-Ball said:
The mesh runs the wrong way! In other words, the mesh runs across in the "short" direction instead of the other direction. So, if i were to cut a grille out from this material, the diamond-oval type openings would be facing vertically instead of horizontally. This would look like ass,
Like Ass huh? ROFL...sorry thats just funny... $20 is a bit high, I think I paid about $8 a sheet. You might just try a metal or steel supplier. Its called "expanded metal lathe" Just make sure you get the flattened kind. If you find a metal place, they will usually let you check out the stuff before hand.

Cue-Ball said:
Also, i have no way to weld brackets onto the mesh so i'm not sure how i would go about attaching the grille to the car.
Here is an easier way you can do this, after thinking about this for a while...

JB Weld, amazing stuff, its a two part epoxy that holds like the dickens. Actually any two part metal epoxy will work but JB weld is readily available. If you do this, youll find that some of the "big" solid areas (not the holes) are inline with the mounting tabs. Once the grill is fitted, tape it in place, you can then drill thru this "big" area and tap it with a 6-32 or 8-32 thread. Using some all-thread (continuiously threaded rod) of the same size. Thread it thru to the tab, mark the place, drill the tab, then JB weld the threaded rod onto the grill, leaving some room for a nut on the back side. You can use locktite as well but the JB stuff should do the trick. Then clip off the remainder of the thread and file/grind smooth. Hope this helps....if not, I may start making some of these....

·
Registered
424 Posts
looking good boys...well done!
Maybe I am going to take on this adventure this weekend :)

J, and atomic-FF-G, you boys want one?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yahnozha said:

Like Ass huh? ROFL...sorry thats just funny... $20 is a bit high, I think I paid about $8 a sheet. You might just try a metal or steel supplier. Its called "expanded metal lathe" Just make sure you get the flattened kind. If you find a metal place, they will usually let you check out the stuff before hand.

I bought the EXACT same stuff as in your picture. Same size, same box, same name, everything. It was $19.94 per sheet plus tax. I paid ~$35 for one sheet of the stuff and a big set of wire cutters. I'm going to be taking them both back today though since the mesh runs the wrong way. I'm going to try to find something with a smaller mesh that's a little easier to work with. Hopefully a metal supplier or welding place will have something. If that doesn't pan out, i'm just going to get a "regular" '02 G20 grille.

And when i say it would look like ass i don't mean tight, aerobic instructor ass, i mean pasty white, crack showing, plumber ass. :confused:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Cue-Ball said:

I bought the EXACT same stuff as in your picture. Same size, same box, same name, everything. It was $19.94 per sheet plus tax. I paid ~$35 for one sheet of the stuff and a big set of wire cutters. I'm going to be taking them both back today though since the mesh runs the wrong way.
Home Depot in Miami $8 .... I picked up today on my way to work when I get home in 3 days will attempt the P10 version

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G-loads said:
looking good boys...well done!
Maybe I am going to take on this adventure this weekend :)

J, and atomic-FF-G, you boys want one?
Cool! But I'm fine. I've got other plans. :evil:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yahnozha all I have to say is that it look's like as hell. Now I wish I could do some work like that to my p10. First I got to get to know how to do the easy thing's before I do anything like that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts