Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so the plain aluminium cast valve cover (VC) isn't the greatest looking thing in the eingine compartment but is the most noticeable. Since I was installing my new S3 cams from JWT, I figured on painting the VC since it was off the car for the install. Anyway, here's how.

First read and follow all directions on changing the valve cover gasket. I found my info on Naji Dhi's site under the S3 Cam install pages - http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/

Just a word of thanks to Naji for having a very informative site!! Check it out if you havent seen it yet.

I used Dupli-Color High Heat Ceramic spray paint ($7-$10) purchased at the local Autozone. Follow all directions on the can. You can bake the finish on with an oven for a "superior" heat resistant finish. I didnt have an oven in my shop so I skipped that part.

Buy yourself new VC gaskets, there are two. (INF-13271-2J201 $4.44 and INF-13270-2J201 $11.45) from Infiniti of Scottsdale (www.infinitipartsusa.com)

I cannot stress this enough...when you get the cover off. It will require a very good cleaning to get all the residue off the face of the VC. Also clean around the sealing edge on the outside where the gasket sits. You dont have to clean the underside to immacluate conditions, but wipe it down and get most of the oil off. I used simple green and a stiff toothbrush to clean this. Rinse well and let dry.

Mask off all the spark plug holes and the threaded hole for the oil cap. Hang the VC up with some wire or place on a piece of cardboard. Then begin spraying away. Use light even coats, let each coat dry and then do another. I put on about 5 even coats on the VC. At this point let dry and continue on to the baking if you choose to go that route.

To make the logo and twin cam valve lettering stand out, begin to lightly sand thru the paint with 300 grit sand paper. Be careful not to scratch the rest of the painted VC in the process. To make things easier for myself. I took a razor and removed most of the paint off the lettering first. Then sanded till satisfied.

Reinstall properly with the new gaskets, paying attention to the gasket seating correctly and not falling out of the groove in the VC. Torque all the VC bolts to their proper settings and viola' your done. Stand back and give yourself props for doing a good job. Will take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on how long it takes the paint to dry and if you bake it or not.

Here are the pics. The bottom right photo is a better representation of the actual color

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Yahnozha said:
Reinstall properly with the new gaskets, paying attention to the gasket seating correctly and not falling out of the groove in the VC. Torque all the VC bolts to their proper settings and viola' your done. Stand back and give yourself props for doing a good job. Will take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on how long it takes the paint to dry and if you bake it or not.
One important item that you missed in your write up but 'hopefully' didn't miss when you reinstalled the VC. Make sure you use the Grey RTV in the right spots on the gasket. You cannot do without it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
The VC you painted looks great...

How long did it take you to do everything???

·
Registered
218 Posts
Another tip that might help out people is to use wax or vaseline on the parts that you don't want painted (like the raised lettering). After the paint is all dry you can just wipe it off those parts. Just make sure not to get any vaseline on the parts that you DO want painted. Also, roughing up the surface might give a more scratch resistant finish (allows the paint to adhere better).

I'd like to polish my valve cover, but not having a garage to work in is a real bitch.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Wow that is a lot of work.... I wish I could just spray paint it and be done with it ...lol

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looking very good but I think it looks kind of bland. I think it needs some laqure to bring out that clear coat look. Besides that very good job. I was going to do the same thing but I dont want to deal with taking off the paint when I sell my car.

God Yahnozha it seems like your doing something to your G20 every week. Dont you ever run out of $$$? Keep up the great work and cant wait to see what you do next.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: How To: Painted Valve Cover (long, pics)

G-Forces said:
One important item that you missed in your write up but 'hopefully' didn't miss when you reinstalled the VC. Make sure you use the Grey RTV in the right spots on the gasket. You cannot do without it!
True...very true...Forgot to mention that one in the write up, I did do it to the gasket tho....thanks G

Originally posted by 2002G20Racer
Looking very good but I think it looks kind of bland. I think it needs some laqure to bring out that clear coat look. Besides that very good job. I was going to do the same thing but I dont want to deal with taking off the paint when I sell my car.
The color actually looks really good, the photo does not do it justice, Ill get another photo soon.

Originally posted by 2002G20Racer
God Yahnozha it seems like your doing something to your G20 every week. Dont you ever run out of $$$? Keep up the great work and cant wait to see what you do next.
Yeah its seems that way doesnt it. Actually Ive had all this stuff since Janurary and just now finding time to do all the installs. One thing that is nice about being a business owner are all the "perks" of the job. HAHA!! like taxes, payroll, and firing people....

·
Registered
350 Posts
:dead: Missed the write up about how long it took you to do, sorry:dead:

What is the Grey RTV you talk about? And how important is the new VC gasket?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gally14 said:
:dead: Missed the write up about how long it took you to do, sorry:dead: What is the Grey RTV you talk about? And how important is the new VC gasket?
They are both pretty important. The RTV you can pick up at any auto parts store. Specifically its high temp silicone sealant. Goes By RTV, and come in different colors/grades. Ask the guy at the store about it, they will know all about it. This will go on the gasket where it sits into some semi-circular cutouts on the head and VC. When you pull off the VC youll see exactly where they put it.

On the new gaskets, YES, get them!! Theoritically you *could* re-use your old one, but it has already been compressed and might retain that shape, which is not good. A new gasket will give you the seal you need for this job. Please dont skimp on this. Besides, $20 is money well spent. Ask Joe, if they can ship to Canada, Im pretty sure he can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cleaning the VC

Cleaning the VC for painting is a lot easier. Just
use Aircraft remover. It actually remove the "brushed
aluminum" looking paint on top of the VC. This gives
a smooth surface for the paint to stick to the VC even better. I did mine about a year ago with $5 hot paint (up to 500F) from Pepboy. There is no baking and it looks really good and very grossy. There is no stripping what so ever.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You can spray it and just be done with it.

Just buy some High Temp Enamel paint - remove the spark plugs etc.. - seal around the area with some newspaper, and spray away, let sit for a few hours, add another coat.. spray away, bingo bango! Want it shiny .. add some High Temp clear lacquer.

Picture below of the results..

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
atomic-G said:

Just buy some High Temp Enamel paint - remove the spark plugs etc.. - seal around the area with some newspaper, and spray away, let sit for a few hours, add another coat.. spray away, bingo bango! Want it shiny .. add some High Temp clear lacquer.

WOw I got a new project for the MIAMI SLIVER P10

·
^-*
3,201 Posts

so are you saying I can just leave my valve cover on tape everything off an paint it?

is that safe lol?

i mean i want to paint mine and taking it off is gonna be a bitch because i dont want to buy sealant an new gaskets so if this is possible im willing to try. i got good taping technique.

·
Registered
963 Posts
it's really easy, you can use the same VC gasket, just put some RTV on it when you re-install it. it's just a few bolts and like three hoses to get it off.

·
Automotive Design Concept
3,522 Posts
how do you polish valve covers? just wondering.
using rubbing compounds, and "polish" compounds kinda like waxing your car. but IDK, it must be a bitch to keep clean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts