Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured Id do a how to on this one. I shorted this fuse while working on my header, I accidentally hit the + terminal of the altenator while being a monkey, and replacing this is a little bit of work since its attached from the bottom by two screws...the replacement fuse ran me about $2.50 from autozone.

Search: Battery fuse, 100A Battery fuse, 100A Fuseable link, Fuseable link

Tools: 8mm socket, 10mm socket, small flat head screwdriver, phillips screwdriver

1) First off Disconnect your battery!!! Since this is an electrical item, dont be stupid.

2) Its a good thing you disconnected the battery, because you now have to remove it to access some of the locking tabs...

3) Snap off the fuse cover using these tabs

4) This is the fuse we are replacing

5) Pry away so these tabs they dont lock, there are four of them on this side.

6) Next, you have to fiddle around with the other four tabs on the other side to relase the whole unit. The two inner ones might be reversed...play with it and after everything is free, it should just slide apart.

7) Take your 10mm and 8mm sockets to remove the screws that hold the fuse in place. You could use a phillips screwdriver, but these things are in there tight.

8) Now remove the fuse and replace with the new one.

9) Put everything back together the way you took it apart and your all done.

10) Go have a beer and pat yourself on the back for a well done job.

·
Registered
562 Posts
hehe when I first tried it I was yanking on the fuse cuz I thought it was like any other fuse...I bet I looked pretty stupid doing that...hehe...eventually I took apart to discover what you just posted.

·
Registered
562 Posts
also I replaced my PCV valve the other day...I think my idle is smoother. Anyways maybe it's all in the head. Costed less than $5 from Kragen. I don't know the recommended intervals but I think its 30K or 60K. Cheap maintenance.

This has nothing to do with replacing fuses but I don't want to start a stupid thread on just this.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Nice write-up Pat! That should be more than enough info for anyone else that finds themself in the same position. sweet. =)

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY423 said:
hehe when I first tried it I was yanking on the fuse cuz I thought it was like any other fuse...I bet I looked pretty stupid doing that...hehe...
I know the feeling....I was like *WTF?* this dam thing isnt coming out....HAHA!!

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Thanks man!! I didnt think anyone else had this problem!!!=)

Im fixing my ride tonight!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah that happened to me a few weeks ago and i couldn't find anything until i finally ran across this thread. It saved me a bunch of time figuring out which one exaclty was fried

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TY423 said:
wow this post was last posted in April and now response again in Dec. 8 months this one was buried.
Goes to show that Tony and I are not the only monkeys out there :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AWOL_g said:
Is it just mt CPU or are the pics messed up?
sorry mein, some of these older photos were on my server, they have been updated to the G20 server now.

·
Banned
609 Posts
i had my header gaskets replaced and the mechanic did not disconnect the battery again since he said since i have a 2nd in the trunk there was no use. so as usual his wrench touched the alternator which set off the anti-theft alarm and consequently blew the 100A battery fuse again. they did not have another 100A fuse so they put in an 80 fuse which seems to work ok. well i went to nissan and got me another 100A fuse for $4 and am wondering should i replace the 80A fuse with it or not. I have a system in my car with 2 1000watt amps so does the battery fuse have any dealings with the electronics of the car that might not be giving out enough juice with the 80A fuse? i have the 100A fuse in my glove compartment so i can stick it in if needed in the future. thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
G20-Unit said:
i had my header gaskets replaced and the mechanic did not disconnect the battery again since he said since i have a 2nd in the trunk there was no use. so as usual his wrench touched the alternator which set off the anti-theft alarm and consequently blew the 100A battery fuse again. they did not have another 100A fuse so they put in an 80 fuse which seems to work ok. well i went to nissan and got me another 100A fuse for $4 and am wondering should i replace the 80A fuse with it or not. I have a system in my car with 2 1000watt amps so does the battery fuse have any dealings with the electronics of the car that might not be giving out enough juice with the 80A fuse? i have the 100A fuse in my glove compartment so i can stick it in if needed in the future. thanks

I'm not positive so you might want a second opinion but...
If you have a fuse that can't take as much power as th fuse that should be in there.... You'll be fine.

Now if you had a fuse in there that could take more than it should allow you'd be screwed.

If anything you'll just have to replace the 80A w/the 100A when it blows.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AWOL_g said:
I'm not positive so you might want a second opinion but...
If you have a fuse that can't take as much power as th fuse that should be in there.... You'll be fine.

Now if you had a fuse in there that could take more than it should allow you'd be screwed.
Very true words of wisdom :lol:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Is this the same fuse as the interior lights, mine allll went out from the dash to the automatic lighting of the letters.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
how can you tell if you need to replace your 100A fuse? what's the benefits of doing this? sorry, if its a stupid question but I just wanna learn :)

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
^^^^
trust me you would know if it was blown, its the main fuse from your battery to almost everything else. so if it was blown nothing would turn on or work. the benefits are you want your stuff in your car to work. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts