Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now live in an era where finding a factory replacement lower radiator core supports is impossible, unless you come across a clean shell in a junkyard, or someone has the part stored away in a wharehouse somewhere. The support for these cars just isn't available anymore.

I decided to fabricate my own core support out of some box tubing I was able to purchase online from jegs.com for around $50 shipped to my door.

This 2x3 box tubing got the job done, just working on getting the lower cross member installed, please excuse some of my booger welds. Fitment was a bit of a pain, as I wanted to preserve as much of the stock metal that was salvageable, and I had to build up weld in some areas to fill gaps. Anything is better than what I started with. The passes I made to attached the pieces of tubing themselves, are rock solid. I used a my Lincoln 140 HD gas MIG welder, grinding wheel, and sawzall.

The beginning, my core support was disintegrating from rust, literally...

8ft section of 2x3 box tubing I purchased from jegs for about $50.

Cuts and some of the prepping I made before the welding.

Final product of the new lower radiator core support made from 2x3 box tubing...

Overall I'm pretty happy with the final result, not too happy with some of my welds, nonetheless they are strong, and this core support isn't going anywhere. If you're thinking of taking a job like this on yourself, or have someone who can help you with the work, these pictures should give you a pretty good visual of the approach I took (considering you still have some good metal to work with behind your bumper.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is happening on my P11 too :(

Would you mind reposting the photos?

We're neighbors, would you know a shop that can do this? I don't have a garage or welder haha.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is happening on my P11 too :(

Would you mind reposting the photos?

We're neighbors, would you know a shop that can do this? I don't have a garage or welder haha.

Thanks!
No problem, and thanks didn't realize they fell off. As for a shop, I would say anyone who has decent welding skills and a few hours could easily take on this job. When it comes to welding mild steel, I'm ok, and can at least lay down a penetrating weld that should hold things together.

Show them the pictures in this thread, the materials I used, and see what they quote you back at. The hardest part that I didn't really show anything on, was getting that lower cross member fabbed up to attach to the lower core support. I ended up picking up 2 nuts from ace hardware, cutting a portion of that box tubing in half, drilling out 2 holes in that piece, and welding the two nuts to what would be the inner portion. That way the lower cross member bolts right up as it would from factory.

To be completely honest, I got a range of prices from different shops, some saying up to $1000. So I think if you can find a reputable shop to do this for around $500, you're probably getting a decent price. The time consuming parts are really just taking everything off and cleaning whatever decent metal you have left on the car to build out your own brace.

·
Registered
461 Posts
No problem, and thanks didn't realize they fell off. As for a shop, I would say anyone who has decent welding skills and a few hours could easily take on this job. When it comes to welding mild steel, I'm ok, and can at least lay down a penetrating weld that should hold things together.

Show them the pictures in this thread, the materials I used, and see what they quote you back at. The hardest part that I didn't really show anything on, was getting that lower cross member fabbed up to attach to the lower core support. I ended up picking up 2 nuts from ace hardware, cutting a portion of that box tubing in half, drilling out 2 holes in that piece, and welding the two nuts to what would be the inner portion. That way the lower cross member bolts right up as it would from factory.

To be completely honest, I got a range of prices from different shops, some saying up to $1000. So I think if you can find a reputable shop to do this for around $500, you're probably getting a decent price. The time consuming parts are really just taking everything off and cleaning whatever decent metal you have left on the car to build out your own brace.
Thanks a ton!

This'll be easier than finding another QT1S.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For those who are crazy enough to get this job taken care of at a shop using OEM parts, it costs $1600.

If you don't end up needing the entire front and just need the lower radiator support, though, that'll run about $850.

At least now I have all the headlight bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts