Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
perfect timming... my alternator failed last night and my car stopped on the way back from TN (40 miles from home in chicago...) thank god for AAA, but i just so happened to pick up an old alternator i had from my 240 that didn't fit (built for the sentra instead of the SR20DET on the 240...) so i'll be installing it tonight! thanks for the help!

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
No worries now, I got the alternator out with plenty of well-placed blows from a hammer.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Cool, I'm going to use this on my P11, I need to install the UR pulleys. Already loosened the huge 27mm crank nut, and the 4 10mm nuts on the WP pulley, so just need to get the belts out.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
.......alright so if I go into autozone......askin for a new alternator belt for my 94 g20t they'll have one right?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Probably, but then it'll squeal in a week cuz its Autozone crap. If you do really have to go there :headshake make sure to at least get a Gates (which i doubt they'll carry) or a Goodyear. If they have neither, so somewhere that does.

And they're "drive" belts, not serpentines. And they should be replaced about every 60K

·
Registered
74 Posts
one thing to remember is to recheck the tension of the belts after a week or two because they will stretch during that period of time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice write up. After replacing fuel and cabin filters (read the write ups here) and a trip to the chiro from bending over so much, I just let the mechanic do the belts. Not worth the pain in my back to bend over trying to screw with those things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just adding to this thread, I just changed mine and thought I'd give my 2 cents:

Use a 1/4" 12 pt socket, 12mm, to get to the tensioner lock bolt and tensioner bolt for the PS pump.

After loosening the power steering pump tensioner, you have no room to tap the tensioner bolt which gives it slack and allows you to pull the belt off. The best thing to do is get under the car and loosen the PS pump pivot bolt. It's 14mm and is opposite of the weldnut that you will see at the bottom of the PS pump. You can then move the pump by hand to get the new belt on (or old belt off).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Doing this tomorrow, I have hit the 126xxx mark and will help my car last 126xxx more, thanks for a nice write up!

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
bump
How much different is this than a P11? I would imagine it would almost be identical, but I've been wrong before. A local mechanic said you would have to jack up the motor it order to do the job.

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
it should be the saem/.....i have a how to also, but wit hlots of pic in it, i think its in the how to orum, or its in the engine forum

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
i did this on my p11 a month ago, its basically the same as a p10. the part numbers are probably the same, but dont qoute me. jacking the motor is a little overboard, unless you have huge hands and very limited tool supply. the hardest part is getting your wrench onto the power steering belt adjuster.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
it should be the saem/.....i have a how to also, but wit hlots of pic in it, i think its in the how to orum, or its in the engine forum

I found the How To, but the pics weren't working. Anyway you can get those up again?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts