Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok.... I think I have it figured out... When I got the new bellhousing I assumed it had the bearing/race installed. It does not. Sadly, I threw out the old bellhousing, so I can't check it for parts. This explains the leaking fluid and the noise. Does this sound like the most likely culprit?

Snickers, does that gear set include the FD?

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
ouch that is costly. i beleave you are speeking of the race for the diff bearing.
i removed from doner transmision and reused. I did check clearences but out of asembleing 3 6 speed tranys i have not yet had a clearence problem with reuseing the old parts knock on wood

·
Registered
207 Posts
I reused as well. Cheapest way is go get another trans, they can be found for 250-400 at junkyards all over. They are pretty common out there as nissan used them in a lot of vehicles.

Brent

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
Ok.... I think I have it figured out... When I got the new bellhousing I assumed it had the bearing/race installed. It does not. Sadly, I threw out the old bellhousing, so I can't check it for parts. This explains the leaking fluid and the noise. Does this sound like the most likely culprit?

Snickers, does that gear set include the FD?
The gearset includes the ring and pinion, but the HLSD diff is separate... I could make a deal to sell together though...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tore the tranny down last night. I indeed forgot the bearing race on the passenger side of the diff, ugh. The noise was not coming from the bearing hitting the case. The case had no damage. Instead, the noise was the gear of the FD wobbling and grinding against the main shaft bearing, you know, the one that has the plastic oil housing in it.

Luckily, Nissan sells these parts individually, so I should have them in my hands by Thursday.

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
I tore the tranny down last night. I indeed forgot the bearing race on the passenger side of the diff, ugh. The noise was not coming from the bearing hitting the case. The case had no damage. Instead, the noise was the gear of the FD wobbling and grinding against the main shaft bearing, you know, the one that has the plastic oil housing in it.

Luckily, Nissan sells these parts individually, so I should have them in my hands by Thursday.
good to hear... make sure you check your differential preload and freeplay before assembling the trans... check with just the diff itself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I reused as well. Cheapest way is go get another trans, they can be found for 250-400 at junkyards all over. They are pretty common out there as nissan used them in a lot of vehicles.

Brent
I thought this over last night and looking at car-part, I found a low mileage tranny for $225 only 40 miles away from me. I can get those parts from that and have a spare sitting around...

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
There are a lot of 6spd spec v boxes around... i think at one point i had counted about 1000 of them wrecked with good transmissions...

If you get another transmission, i recommend you swap all the guts from your new one into the bellhousing so that way you dont miss any parts and you know everything should work correctly

·
Registered
51 Posts
did you check and swap over the bearing races and shims and then check diff preload?
Ahhh.. Embarrasingly I have to say no. As a first timer working on trannies, I overlooked this.... I think I will be sending the tranny to aamco for a rebuild.

Yay.
Ive never built a transmission either but I plan on doing this swap soon. How can i learn about the races and the shim and diff preloading? So when i change the bellhousing i wont mess it up?

·
Registered
126 Posts
YAY! It works!

FINALLY she's moving! Shifts nice and no funny noises or anything. I have put 10 miles on it and it is silky smooth!

p10det: So far your right about the new feel. This tranny really should have been put in the P11 in the first place.

Snickers: I remembered to check preload and it didn't need anything ;) Thank god!

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
great job man. you're a pioneer

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
IS his car boosted? are getting ready for boost? But congrats and joint the club of the few that have ever driven a 6spd fwd SR

personally the whole time i new you were not going to just bang this swap Out. but did not want to discurage you. cuase I wanted your swap to happen and Im glad it did

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im starting to gather parts to do this on my B13.
Looks like I have a big list.
B15 front spindles (with brakes and rotors)
P10 rear spindles (with brakes and rotors)
Specv: axles, clutch pedal assembly, hydraulic lines, shifter, yadda yadda etc
JWT Fly, 350z clutch, mazworx 6spd kit.
Wheels to match the new bolt pattern. and altima MC to use with the bigger brake calipers.

wow!
forget anything?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm running a T28 w/ Nistune using a OBDI step down harness... Turbo goodness + Nistune + 6-speed = hell ya!

Im starting to gather parts to do this on my B13.
Looks like I have a big list.
B15 front spindles (with brakes and rotors)
P10 rear spindles (with brakes and rotors)
Specv: axles, clutch pedal assembly, hydraulic lines, shifter, yadda yadda etc
JWT Fly, 350z clutch, mazworx 6spd kit.
Wheels to match the new bolt pattern. and altima MC to use with the bigger brake calipers.

wow!
forget anything?
QR Throw out bearing for sure. Its the only one that will fit that setup. You will need an extra spacer between the engine and tranny. The space is pretty tight even with the extra spacer. Otherwise, you sound prepared to go at it. Be patient!

·
Registered
51 Posts
QR Throw out bearing for sure. Its the only one that will fit that setup. You will need an extra spacer between the engine and tranny. The space is pretty tight even with the extra spacer. Otherwise, you sound prepared to go at it. Be patient!
I thought the whole point in having the thicker flywheel is b/c the TOB is too far from the clutch. why would you want to put another spacer b/t the trans and engine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Input shaft is further away, but adding 3/4in to the flywheel + 250mm clutch + PP which are thicker than typical SR clutch setups, it's a lot closer than you think.

With the extra spacer installed, I have less than a 1/2in of play with the TOB arm(whatever it's called). You want to give the TOB some space.

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
the spacer is there because the flywheel is slightly too think and the pressure plate will hit the transmission...

The 6spd is much much better than the 5 spd... and you will never really know until you drive a car with the 6spd swap... In the end it is worth the cash to do the swap over and over and I dont think anyone has or will have any regrets to do the swap...

6spd with boosted should be a blast... my swap was just a 200whp NA VVL setup in my P10 but thought about going boost now that I had a trans to hold all my crazy HP....

181 - 200 of 215 Posts