·
^-*
3,201 Posts
thanks i didnt want to order offline but i guess i hve too

anyone wanna start a timing light program were we just pass it off lol

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
If you think about, a $60 timing light and a ~6hp increase, that is only $10 per 1hp. That's a pretty dang good price/hp ratio. I don't see any huge reason not to do this mod. It just sounds crazy not to. But that's just me. I was pretty scared to do this mod too, until I did it and kicked myself for being a hesitant little girl about it. Good luck.

2,438 Posts
if your car is having issues idling then that is going to affect the ignition timing at idle.

the timing will respond with the RPM, that is why when you rev it up to 3k it holds at 30* timing.
when you advance the timing, by turning the distributor, the ecu will still think that it is at 15* timing, but it really will be where you set it to.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
The ign timing does jump all over at idle until you put it in timing/idle adjust mode. It does it to keep the idle constant.

The timing will advance as you increase the revs. It has to otherwise there would be no power at all. As the engine speed increases the time between the crank moving that 15* will get shorter so if you had 15* timing all the time then at higher engine speeds the piston would be half way down the power stroke before the spark plug fired.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
So I should consider that everything is OK than.

I have no idle issues. However, the timing varies a lot. Maybe it is a good thing to try to adjust the idle again with the consult and see if there is any position which will make the timing jump less. I did checked the IGN with timing light again - it still shows 18*. So I am fine.

It just that this guy with the SR20De P11 has a constant timing of 15 all the time when connected to that same consult.

Anyway, thanks guys!

Regards!
You're fine, don't worry. Every Primera I've ever connected to the consult had the varying timing at idle. It will lock to read 15* when you put it in adjustment mode.

Is his 15* when revving too ??

2,438 Posts
glad we could help. mine's jumpy too even when i have it in timing mode, but then again, that's cause i need to get a new iacv

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey all, I know this thread is really old and all but i've been looking over this for a while now, and I have a couple of questions (i'm fairly new to the auto world):

93.5 P10
1) Where exactly is the TPS? I think I may know but just want to be sure...
2) How exactly do I go about turning the dist? From where it is (I think) it looks like you have to get behind the passenger wheel to adjust it...

Thanks for all of the previous info and in advance..

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
Hey all, I know this thread is really old and all but i've been looking over this for a while now, and I have a couple of questions (i'm fairly new to the auto world):

93.5 P10
1) Where exactly is the TPS? I think I may know but just want to be sure...
2) How exactly do I go about turning the dist? From where it is (I think) it looks like you have to get behind the passenger wheel to adjust it...

Thanks for all of the previous info and in advance..
The best thing, bar none, you can do right now is to find and start reading through the factory service manual for your car. Not being able to find the dist. means you are really not ready to start working on your car until you have a manual in-hand.

And no, it is not even close to the pass. wheel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The best thing, bar none, you can do right now is to find and start reading through the factory service manual for your car. Not being able to find the dist. means you are really not ready to start working on your car until you have a manual in-hand.

And no, it is not even close to the pass. wheel.
Sooo, you're saying that the part that needs adjusting is not close to the wheel, or the TPS? I was pretty sure that I found what needed adjusting.

And I do have a manual, but i thought that since there are so many people educated on the car i may as well try here first instead of fumbling through it.

EDIT: O wait...i think i get it now...after re-reading this and thinking I feel kinda silly about asking about the distributor. But i'd still like to verify the location of the TPS.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
this look about right?

I don't have the degree markings, is it possible that when I was getting an oil leak repaired near the timing belt that it somehow hot flipped around? This really sux cause I have a timing light... I might just have to do this by feel

201 - 220 of 254 Posts