Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
You shouldn't have to, but it takes no time to fix your idle if it's wrong (though you need a tach that's more accurate than the one on the dash, like an inductive pickup tach). If you don't know the age of your ignition, you should probably replace it anyway, as these parts are only good for about 60k miles. Go to a Nissan dealer and get new wires, new cap, new rotor, and some NGK platinum or copper spark plugs. Don't use Bosch or any other brand plugs, and skip the iridium plugs for now.
Why not Bosch?

2,438 Posts
i've got a dial back i got at harbor freight for something like $20

as for the markings, you should have 6. be aware thought that the dial back is meant to dial back to tdc, not the -5 mark. (farthest left should be the -5 mark, and the one next to that is tdc)

·
Registered
482 Posts
ok so when i disconnect the TPS my car revs up and dies. so if i have read correctly this mean my base idle is off. so to fix this i should throw some new NGK's in (currently bosch) clean the throttle body and set the base idle again? and then the car will run at the base idle after disconnecting the TPS?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Setting the base idle is the important thing if the engine dies upon disconnecting the TPS. When you adjust the base idle you will turn the screw on top of the IACV.
The new plugs and throttle body cleaning can only help your engine, assuming your Bosch plugs were causing a problem when driving.
On the first page of this thread (towards the bottom of the page), Cowboy Dren wrote: "Victor, it's probably time that your entire intake (tb, manifold, and emissions gear) gets a thorough cleaning. After cleaning, you'll need to enter the timing/idle mode I mentioned above, and set your base idle to 800 (manual) or 850 (auto), IIRC. Whatever the high limit is on idle speed; refer to your owner's manual."

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey i Just called an infinity dealership by me ray catena infinity...they said it was pointless to do this to my car that the 2001 g20 would just realern and make any adjustments mute..... I tried to explain to him it has a distributer and all but he then went into a spout about how the sr20 motor is a slug anyway and why would I want to waste my money...I hung up on the fool after that....question is this? is he right that the ecu will make my timing advance adjustment nullified as it realerns and adjusts for changes.... please HELP answer this question as I was going to ask my friend mechanic to do it for me after he puts in my two front axles....thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
thanks Dmsentra....anyone one around Nj wanna give me a hand with this....have an intake on the way and I think this will help me get a nice total bump in hp....just need to decide if i wanna turn it up a lil for 89 ovtane or to 19 for 91 octane...cuz most gas stations by me dont have 91...only 87,89,93

·
Administrator
5,866 Posts
thanks Dmsentra....anyone one around Nj wanna give me a hand with this....have an intake on the way and I think this will help me get a nice total bump in hp....just need to decide if i wanna turn it up a lil for 89 ovtane or to 19 for 91 octane...cuz most gas stations by me dont have 91...only 87,89,93
Why not use 93 then?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i guess i could was just thinking i may be able to get the same benefit doing the 89 but your right i could just run 93....are people certain this is the same procedure for g20's 2001 to be exact cuz he said its for sentras...will it work on my car with same steps?

·
Registered
417 Posts
On my p10 (production date 2/91), there are six marks on the crank pulley and NO white paint.
-5 - 0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20

If there were white paint between the fourth and fifth marks, I would refer to what the '92 FSM says the sequence is 0 - 5 - 10 - 13 - 15 - 20. My '92 FSM refers to the "white paint" between 13 and 15 degree marks.

241 - 254 of 254 Posts