Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
i dont kno but i have a feeling i need a tune up because my muffler makes a nois like put put put like the car is having trouble breathing and its missing and nearly dying ...can anyone put up a detailed instruction for a tune up? becuz i hav the basic idea but not sure

·
Registered
76 Posts
ive read through this and just wanted to note that, as far as your car making noise and not starting can also be the wires. back in the day i used to screw up and buy a battery and starter and then it turned out to be a power cable or the ground. like everyone says though, get the battery and starter checked before replacing, i just know from experience how much it sucks to change a starter, when it's a positive cable. anyway, that's my two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
how can you tell you have bad spark plugs and spark plug wires? how about fuel filter? fuel pump?

I had a 93 G20 and when it was only a few months old, I needed a body shop to repaint a body panel that had gotten scraped pretty badly. This particular body shop did a steam cleaning inside the engine compartment as an amenity... but in my case, the steam apparently left moisture in the well around the spark plugs, which over the span of a couple weeks caused the plug wires to corrode. (I only learned all this later, after taking my vehicle to the dealer for warranty repair of the problem! Body shop ended up paying for that repair.)

Anyway, the main symptom as the plug wires were slowly going bad, was the engine idling rougher and rougher, and needing more gas to accelerate... even then the acceleration was much less than normal and there was typically a lag between when I pressed on the gas pedal, and when the car actually responded. At idle you'll be concerned that the car will stall at some point, that's how rough it will run.

2,438 Posts
one other thing to add about poor fuel economy, is to check your idle.

the idle shouldn't be any higher than 1k, 775-900 is about where it should be. having a consult cable will help out alot with make adjustments like that.

i was having rather poor fuel economy and it turned out it was because my idle was set at 1.5k

21 - 24 of 24 Posts