Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time required: 15 - 20 minutes
Skill level: Easy
Tools required: 2 feet of wire, wire cutters/crimpers, 2 connectors, flat head screwdriver.
Search Terms: fog light foglight re-wire rewire mod modification

This How-to explains the steps to re-wire your foglights to come on with the "parking" light. The standard configuration allows the foglights to only be on when the low beam head lamp is on. This modification will also allow the foglights to stay on when the head lamps are switched from low to high beam.

Step 1: The relay which controls your foglight operation is located in the relay box inside your engine bay along the passenger side fender. Remove the relay box cover by lifting up on the large tab which secures it.

Once the cover is removed you will see the two rows of relays. The one we are after is the blue one in the top row. What we are going to do is remove the relays in that row so we can get the wire we need to modify which is underneath.

Step 2: The relays are held into their connectors by tabs. Use your flat head screwdriver to push back the tabs into the relay as shown. Grab the relay and pull it upwards to remove it from the connector.

Here you can see one of the brown relays removed. Repeat this for the other 2 brown relays in that row.

Step 3: Removal of the blue relay is similar, except you must use the screwdriver to pull the tab away from the relay instead of in towards the relay as with the brown ones. With the tab being forced outwards, pull up on the relay to remove it.

Here is a shot of the blue foglight relay removed.

Step 4: You may wish to organize your relays on top of your relay box cover so you do not mix them up. If you do happen to mix up the brown relays there is nothing to worry about, as they are all the same kind.

Step 5: There are tabs holding the relay connectors up in the relay box. Use the screwdriver to push these tabs in, similar to how you removed the brown relays. While pushing the tabs in, push down on the connectors so they fall into the relay box as shown.

Step 6: Our last step before we get to that much desired wire, is to remove the black trim around that relay row. Now that the connectors are free from the trim, there are 4 tabs along the outside of the trim which we must loosen. There are two on the long side and one on each short side. As you loosen each one, pull up on the trim to keep it from locking up again.

Once the four tabs are unlatched along the outside, there are two more which actually hold the two relay "rows" together. There are loosened by sliding them sideways. Remember to keep pulling up as you go.

Step 7: After putting a little muscle into it, you should now have the trim removed as shown.

Step 8: On the blue relay connector for the fog light relay, locate the pink wire with the blue stripe and cut it with your cutters. This wire recieved a signal which came from your low beam lamp. Make sure you leave enough pink wire attached to the connector so you can run a new connection to it.

Run one end of your two foot wire into your relay box. Use any type of wire connector you choose (screw-on or crimp style) to connect your piece of wire to the remaining pink/blue wire on the relay connector. I chose to use a crimp style connector.

Step 9: Insert the relay connectors back into the black trim piece and push it down into the relay box until it snaps into place. Replace the four relays.

Step 10: Remove your "parking" light power connector from your headlight housing. Use your screw driver to push in the tab and pull out the connector. With the connector free, cut the red power wire.

Attach a connector of your choice to one end of the red power wire. On the other end of the connector attach both the red power wire and the new wire which you ran to your relay. The key here is to make a "Y" formation so that power still flows through the red wire to your "parking" lamp as normal, but also runs the signal to your foglight relay. I chose to use the screw type connector for this end.

Step 11: Replace your parking lamp power connector back into its socket and you're done. Your foglights can now come on with your parking lights, low beams or high beams, where as before they were only able to stay on with your low beams. Enjoy.

Written by: b-b00gie

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
nice work dee. i have stolen all that info and put it up on my site under performance. :p

·
uruG 02G
7,420 Posts
2k2G20 said:
It's an old thread I know but I was wondering what size wire was used from the fog relay to the parking light connector?

I used like a 14 gauge wire, pretty small, doesn't have to carry a lot of juice it's just a "switch" if you will...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I want to do this so bad but if I mess it up I will be driving in the dark like Fray....

Hey Dom and the Mafia , have you guys done this yet ?

Great write up.. I printed this out like a year ago in case one day I finally got a P11 ...

·
uruG 02G
7,420 Posts
it's really not that hard bro... really you're just splicing the wire to the relay and then into the + wire of the lil bulb in the headlight... I think you'd be able to pull it off... Fray just got frazzled I think, but I'm confident he can/could do it right too, it's pretty easy...

·
Registered
202 Posts
i did mine too...its not hard its just that you have to be reallllllllllllllllllllllllly patient you do not have much wire to work with when you cut it from the relay....now that i know how to do it...it would only take me abouot 30 minutes....ohhh and if you are worry about burning all your lights and driving in the dark....disconnect the battery before you start....good luck bro:thumbsup:

·
uruG 02G
7,420 Posts
blck99g20t said:
....disconnect the battery before you start....
Very good advice, I forgot, but I disconnected mine when I did it, but I forgot to mention that.. but yeah, good advice when you pretty much do anything on your car (electrical wise)....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So I finally got some fogs (aftermarket :-\ ).
I think they're better than nothing.

I was going to do this mod but my wires are a little different.

according to the FSM I have going to the relay:

orange w/ black stripe (this is connected to the fogs +)

red w/yellow stripe (I think this is going to the "lighting switch")

Green w/orange stripe (Think this goes to the "front fog lamp switch")

Red w/green stripe (looks like this goes to the S.M.J., which then goes to the battery it seems)

I know that might not help at all.
I'm trying to get access to a scanner or digi cam to post pic from FSM.

Maybe someone w/93.5 has done this and can help me out

Thanks

1 - 20 of 187 Posts