Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems people have asked plenty of times, so i might as well throw it out there.

First thing to do, park your car, pop your hood and trunk.

Front Shocks:
Grip the metal area around the yellow sticker at the bottom of this picture:

Start pushing up and down and up and down until the car is bouncing fairly well, then let go.
Shocks are supposed to stop the car from bouncing -- so the car should go up when you let go, then back down, then stop halfway back up, at its normal position.

For the rears, you can push anywhere along the edge of the trunk that you can get a grip.
You can also just do one corner, and test each shock if necessary.

If your shocks are blown, or on their way out, the car will not settle as described above, it will keep bouncing for any length of time.

You may not even know your shocks are blown, if they are not fully blown, you might check, it could be a good excuse to get some new ones ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
that's good to know... sometimes when I'm driving if I corner kinda hard it feels like the car leans in real hard, almost like when you have a low tire I never thought to check that but it makes sense...

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe my cars the same way, but your more likely to get it bouncing at all if the shocks are blown :p

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
my p10 has bad struts but does not bounce. also front springs are stretched up and rear stretched down. all struts leaking fluid i think on acasion i can hear the right rear make a lil noise. i have to paint the car and such so i will not be fixing it yet. car still handles very well with worn parts

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
hehe my cars the same way, but your more likely to get it bouncing at all if the shocks are blown :p
It takes nearly 800lbs to move the front of my car an inch, so my weight can move it 1/4 inch :shifty:

The rear is a little softer at just over 550lbs per inch.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its possible they arent so bad it will bounce. we found out reannas were going bad, but it didnt bounce either.
they may not have enough to push it back up, but theyll have enough to stop it.
her car still handled well, but i assure you the new shocks handle better =) (not to mention the new springs :p)

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
yes i can't wait to get the new struts and springs in my self. Im looking forwrd to the extra control

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My car doesn't bounce at all with 4-month-old AGX shocks (set on 1) and stock G20t springs. The tires flex more than the rods move. It's like my suspension is broken, except that if I drive up on a ramp or jack up a single corner, the suspension does articulate as designed. Just not quickly at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So how do you check if the shock/struts are blown? Mine doesn't bounce much with its 13 years old age. Am I supposed at least to replace the front shocks and rear struts while keeping all the springs?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the first post says how to check... if you dont get bouncing then you shold be fine. after 15 or so years though your PROBABLY about do with most cars. or after say 150k, you can almost be sure. it really depends on how its been driven though, they could last longer, or they could blow at 30k and 2 years old if you drive on rough roads and not carefully.

if its not bouncing much, then youre probably ok for now, id guess they dont have a whole lot longer on them though, maybe a year or 2. but again, its hard to say.

·
Registered
259 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
the first post says how to check... if you dont get bouncing then you shold be fine. after 15 or so years though your PROBABLY about do with most cars. or after say 150k, you can almost be sure. it really depends on how its been driven though, they could last longer, or they could blow at 30k and 2 years old if you drive on rough roads and not carefully.

if its not bouncing much, then youre probably ok for now, id guess they dont have a whole lot longer on them though, maybe a year or 2. but again, its hard to say.
I agree. In the past a couple months, I've gone through bad knock sensor, bad EGR valve, bad injector, bad water pump. Anything original could die anytime after so many years. Sometimes it is really a dilema as to if it worth keeping the car. But if you look at it from a different angle and find it can bring your car back for another a few hundred dollars, you may just do it in stead of spending much more for a new car. Let alone most of us love our Gs. Thank you for the response.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cxqiu said:
I agree. In the past a couple months, I've gone through bad knock sensor, bad EGR valve, bad injector, bad water pump. Anything original could die anytime after so many years. Sometimes it is really a dilema as to if it worth keeping the car. But if you look at it from a different angle and find it can bring your car back for another a few hundred dollars, you may just do it in stead of spending much more for a new car. Let alone most of us love our Gs. Thank you for the response.
by the way, weve got some kyg gr2 shocks for your car for sale right now if youre interested =)

·
Registered
259 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
by the way, weve got some kyg gr2 shocks for your car for sale right now if youre interested =)
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. From what I read, GR2 is sort of the direct replacement of the stock. And direct OEM replacement is usually my way to fix my car. Can you send me a PM with the price and I'll do a research to evaluate the replacement plan and cost. Mine is 94G with auto trans. It would be appreciated if you have any suggestion for the suspension without lowing it. It still has the original shocks/struts/springs now. Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
my G doesn't bounce...but the right rear strut failed inspection.... mechanic said it was bottoming out. He didn't quote me a price or anything..he knows I try to do my own work, so I have no reason to believe he'd fail it if he didn't think it were necessary to replace.

So it IS possible to have a bad strut even if the car is not bouncing right?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my G doesn't bounce...but the right rear strut failed inspection.... mechanic said it was bottoming out. He didn't quote me a price or anything..he knows I try to do my own work, so I have no reason to believe he'd fail it if he didn't think it were necessary to replace.

So it IS possible to have a bad strut even if the car is not bouncing right?
yeah. if its on its way going bad it may not rebound forcefully, but not necessarily bounce.
a blown shock is basically the springs bitch. itll do what the spring wants, which is usually bounce up and down.
a semi blown shock is the emo kid. you can push it around but it wont really fight back, itll just hang out wherever you push it.
a good shock is a bully. when it gets pushed around itll fight back and stand its ground.
its almost 3 AM and thats the best analogy i could think of. im sorry if when i wake up i find that it was completely retarded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts