Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a modified version of the procedures copied directly from www.se-r.net, since this topic has been discussed a few times now. I do not know if this procedure is the same for the P11's, but can not see why it wouldn't be the same.

Here is the procedure.

1. Locate the ECU (under your dash in the center console passenger side). You need to remove a plastic panel to access the ECU.
2. Once the panel is removed look for a small screw covered with a piece of tape next to a LED on the ECU.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON position (engine not running).
4. Turn the screw fully clockwise, wait 2 seconds, and then turn it fully counter-clockwise.

Note:
The LED will start to display the code by a series of long flashes, followed by a series of short flashes. Your check engine light on the instrument cluster will also flash in the same sequence. This sequence will repeat. You can use this to see if there are any ECU error codes.

5. Once the screw is turned fully clockwise and counter-clockwise again, the ECU will be reset.

Go to www.se-r.net for more info on this.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm sure this is useful, and I don't wanna be stupid...but under what circumstances would you wanna reset your ECU? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually when you modify the car in such a way that it effects air flow, exhaust, air/fuel mixture, timing, etc. Just allows the ECU to re-learn the changes and acknowledge the changing.

Just good practice when installing an intake, header, exhaust, cams, advancing the timing, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
P11 ECU reset...

My hats off to you...

For a P11, it is the same procedure except the screw and LED are on the driver side.

I correctly reset my ECU this time and not my radio presets!

Thank you for the info...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: P11 ECU reset...

longbeachgdub said:
For a P11, it is the same procedure except the screw and LED are on the driver side.
That is good to know.

This might be one of those posts that could be kept in the FAQ's once the G20.net site is actually up and running. Just make sure the P11 driver side ECU location is noted/added to the procedure as well.

:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Even Easyer

you cold go through all that... or just pop the hood, disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery and there ya go!

only thing is now you gotta reset the time and radio stations.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Even Easyer

Stealth said:
you cold go through all that... or just pop the hood, disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery and there ya go!

only thing is now you gotta reset the time and radio stations.
You could do that, but you might want to search the forum for some threads on this. The reason this thread was posted was because the method you stated does not completely reset the ECU properly. It does reset the ECU, atleast some of the ECU codes, etc., but again it does not completely reset it properly.

So, yea, you could go through the trouble and properly reset the ECU or take a chance that you hope it reset and do it in 10 mins.

You choose.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hmmm...

this may sound a little strange, but which screw is it? On my P11 I located the ECU, but there are two small screws covered with tape (one philips, and one flathead) and I am not to sure where the LED is either. There is a large square opening next to the screws, but it is too dark for me to tell if it is an LED (that and its right behind the gas pedal).

Flathead or Philips?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Battery

Is it true you can just remove the battery connections and it resets it also?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Battery

Icudie said:
Is it true you can just remove the battery connections and it resets it also?
I hope your just joking, right? :confused:

Or didn't you read the whole thread? If, not re-read the thread.;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
It wasn't that hard..., really. I was able to resolved my engine light freakin' problem by resetting my ECU. I thought I had to replace my EGR valve. Before you go into conclusion that it was your EGR or any possible problems, make sure to try resetting your ECU first. You could also try AF on this topic. There are lots of questions & answers there and you'll see some of I have posted there. The guy who was panicking :paranoid:

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's right Nismo! Removing battery itself won't completely reset the ECU. You must go to the main source(the brain of the G) to do it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
HELP!!!!

i have followed all that is written here on how to reset the ecu. but i encountered a problem. my car is a 2002 and i did locate the ecu BUT there is no LED and no screws to adjust. anybody know how to adjust the ecu for the 2002? TIA

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: HELP!!!!

rlman41299 said:
i have followed all that is written here on how to reset the ecu. but i encountered a problem. my car is a 2002 and i did locate the ecu BUT there is no LED and no screws to adjust. anybody know how to adjust the ecu for the 2002? TIA
Boy this is an old thread.

Uh, yours is on the driver side if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: Re: HELP!!!!

NismoPC said:

Boy this is an old thread.

Uh, yours is on the driver side if I'm not mistaken.

that's what my problem is. no led/ no screws to adjust not even on the driver side. none on top, none at the back and none at the bottom. i even disconnected the harness to see better but i cannot locate the screws and led.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Turning the screw on the ECU will only clear the trouble code from the ECU's memory and re-set the ECU's EPROM memory back to factory settings. Dis-connecting the neg terminal on the battery for 10 minutes will only re-set the EPROM, it will not clear trouble codes from the ECU's memory...and that batt trick will work on all OBD-I and OBD-II cars. If you are re-setting the ECU after making a modification to the car you can do the battery thing or the ECU thing...if you are trying to clear a check engine light you must do the ECU screw thing, the battery trick will not clear the code.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
How hard is it to get to the P10's ECU? dont' you have to take off all of the center console to get to it? Or can you just remove one panel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
BlueEnyaMix said:
How hard is it to get to the P10's ECU? dont' you have to take off all of the center console to get to it? Or can you just remove one panel.
Not hard at all if you follow Nismo's procedure in the beginning of the thread. You don't have to remove all of the center console, just the passenger side of it.

Good Luck! ;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts