Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on G20.net, but I figure others can use this information on an SR20DE motor level. I documented and put this together because I couldn't find a real HowTo setup a Coil on Plug system for the G20 (SR20DE/VE essentially). There is a lot of information (and I do mean A LOT) on SR20forum and the dash, but nothing wrapped up easily into one thread. So here goes, I'm assuming that if you are performing this swap, you know how to do basic wiring and have a system to utilize the CAS and COP systems. I'm also assuming you have a 20V valve cover to match, but I've placed the valve cover and gasket part numbers below as well.

Big thanks to Charles (Snickers), Ben Fenner (BenFenner), Justin (JustinP10) and Tony Szirka (my tuner and close friend at UMSTuning here in Phoenix, AZ) for helping to get this all pooled together.

Chassis: P10/P11
Engine: SR20VE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legends

---CAS Wiring Legend:

• Connector Pinout
    • 1 | Crank Angle Sensor 180* (REF) Signal
    • 2 | Crank Angle Sensor 1* (POS) Signal
    • 3 | Power
    • 4 | Ground
  • Ignition Wiring
    • 5 | Ignition Power
---Coil Pack Wiring Legend:
  • IB | Coil Signal
  • G | Ground
  • + | Power
---Relay Wiring Legend:
  • 5 | Ignition Power
  • 6 | 12v Constant Power (Battery)
  • 7 | Power to Coil Packs
  • 8 | Ground
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wiring Diagrams

---Nissan SR20VE 20V Crank Angle Sensor Diagram/Pinout:

• Pin 60 | Ground
  • Pin 62 | Crank Angle Sensor 1* (POS) Signal
  • Pin 81 | Crank Angle Sensor 180* (REF) Signal
  • Pin 109 | Power
---Nissan S15 Coil Pack Diagram/Pinout:

• Pin 1 | Coil Signal
  • Pin 2 | Ground
  • Pin 3 | Power
---Nissan SR20DE Ignition Diagram/Pinout:

• B/R Wire | Ignition Power

Wiring Instructions

• Cut 8 pin DE harness connector off, remove distributor
  • Connect CAS
  • Use the existing harness wiring to connect the new 20V CAS (see photo and legend for sequence):
    • Use sourced connector (see part numbers for recommended connector)
      • 1 | Crank Angle Sensor 180* (REF) Signal
      • 2 | Crank Angle Sensor 1* (POS) Signal
      • 3 | Power
      • 4 | Ground
  • Cut ignition wire (5) from secondary distributor harness, this will wire/run into power relay
  • Install and wire a relay as follows:
    • 5 | Ignition power (see above image)
    • 6 | 12 volt constant power (to battery)
    • 7 | 12 volt power to coil packs
    • 8 | Ground to chassis
  • Install coil packs into VC
    • Use sourced coil pack connectors
    • Wire coil pack(s) as follows:
      • IB | Coil Signal
      • G | Ground
      • + | 12 volt power (from relay)
  • Wire all coil pack 12 volt constant power together, run to relay wire 7 (see above)
  • Run remaining coil signal (IB) wires to ECU or trigger device
B13 AEM V1 and V2 Wiring Pinout:

Part Numbers

• Coil Interface Connector | $10 shipped (click here)
  • Coil Pack Connector | $8 shipped (click here)
  • Coil Pack S15 Harness | 24079-91F00 | $46 - $65 (Contact Gspec or click here)
  • Coil Pack (S15) | 22448-91F00 | $35 - $60 shipped (click here)
  • Crank Angle Sensor Connector | WRS-CAS-NSN | $10 shipped (click here)
  • Crank Angle Sensor (P12 20V) | 23731-8H60A (New Part Number) | 2371-8H600 (Old Part Number) | $325 - $500 (click here)
  • Four (4) pin relay | 1362A11
  • Valve Cover (20V VVL) | 13264-AW01A | $200 - $300
  • Valve Cover Outer Gasket (20V VVL) | 13270-2J201 | $25
  • Valve Cover Inner Gasket (20V VVL) | 13271-65F00 | $10
Connector Photos (for reference)

• Crank Angle Sensor 4 Pin
  • Coil Pack Connector
Final result

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
Nice job Jon. That was quick. Thx for doing the legwork

·
Administrator
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be a stupid question but what would you gain from this?
Not a stupid question at all, personally I get a better/more consistent spark, don't have to change spark plug wires any more (you only change the pack when it gets tired/weak or goes bad), no need for a distributor to essentially calculate when the engine should fire (signal comes straight from the ECU or trigger device). No need to change the dizzy cap and rotor any more either. Just more efficient overall as your bypassing a mechanical component of the ignition system and sending the signal directly to the cylinder.

Nice job Jon. That was quick. Thx for doing the legwork
No problem man, I know you mentioned you were going to start soon so I wanted to get it up as I know a few others are looking to do it as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice write up. I will see if this route will work for me in the next couple of months. I am in the not sure how I want to put everything together just yet on my setup phase.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
Run a s13 ecu like me. You can coil on plug any engine you want. just wire in and make correct cam sensor mods
. I use vq35 350z coil packs. They are extremely good coils they don't have heat failure problems and will support more power than one can wish to toss at them.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
Also take notice to the wire loop in the diagram I made a coil #1 wire loop as well for my set up.
This is so you can use a timeing light nice and simple

·
Administrator
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:aaah:

Best thread ever! Bookmarked.
many thanks Jon
No problem! If you need any help let me know (being local and all).

Also take notice to the wire loop in the diagram I made a coil #1 wire loop as well for my set up.
This is so you can use a timeing light nice and simple
I thought about it, but my timing light fits right in without an issue so I left it out for this round.

damn this is great. I have been reading up on this since I saw a pic of mike (i think) setup a few months back.
Yeah I saw a few people who had done it, but most people I talked to either a) fumbled through it or b) did it and couldn't remember the wiring, haha.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Jon,

I just wanted to say, THANK YOU for this thread..so much helpful info here!! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
is this how you did Mj's coils? if so this wasn't needed for the MS
Nope, I'll be using this when I install my Nismotronic. But, Jon's write up shows me which pin is which on the Nissan CAS (we'll need power, ground and the 180 deg pin). So it's still helpful with MJ's install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys after a little help here. I have a n15 vzr pulsar with the p11 sr20ve and am wanting to do this swap. I have the cas and coil packs from the 20v. Just am abit lost as does the factory computer have outputs for the individual coil packs ?* Is the de diagram that you have drawn up the one I need to follow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Richard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts