Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
De La Code
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st "uber cool" HowTo, so if you have any suggestions let me know. Ok, so some people aren't too fond of the chrome door handles on the 94-96 p10's like me. So, im swapping out my chromies for some black ones. Some have said its a pain to get done, but it's really not that bad if you have an idea of what you are doing.

Tools:
10mm socket
ratchet w/extension
phillips screwdriver
ratcheting 10mm wrench would help too

1) Taking off the door panels is the 1st step. There's a bunch of screws around the outside of the door panel, and I think a few behind the door latch/window switch. After all the screws are out pull up on the door panel, and it should come off.

2) We'll start with the front door handles. First of all, there is 2 nuts holding the exterior door handle in place. One of them is easy to reach pictured here.

The other one is hidden behind the inner door panel, and the lower window guide. To unbolt the lower window guide you need to unscrew the 4 screws near the striker plate( I think thats what its called) pictured here.

There are also 2 or 3 10mm bolts you need to take out in order to adjust the door lock linkages out of the way.

3) Ok, now it's time to attack that hidden nut holding the door handle in place. There is a black plastic plug that you need to pop off in order to get to it. Now reach inside the door, and move the inner window guide out of the way so you can access the nut. The plug is pictured here where the socket is placed.

After you get both nuts off the door handle its held on by one wire linkage guide. You'll need to wiggle it a bit, and maybe use a flathead screwdriver to disconnect it. The handle should be out now, so just swap in the new door handle line everything up, and assemble the same way you took it apart. Front door handles should be done now.

4) Now its time to do the rear door handles. After the door panels are off, take off the 10mm nut holding the door handle on pictured here.

Then, take out these 3 screws holding in the striker plate. Here:

Also, remove one or both of these bolts here to allow the striker plate to be adjusted.

Now to reach the last 10mm nut use an extension to get it out where the striker plate was located. Pictured here:

Now unclip the wire linkage guide holding on to it, swap door handles, line it up, and re-assemble in reverse order. Now go wash your hands, and tell everyone on g20.net that you finished changing out your door handles. If you have any questions lmk.

I'd like to thank Shigspeed for the tips on how to do this, and the black door handles he pulled from the junkyard for me.

-Cody

·
Registered
249 Posts
If u r lazy like me u can skip the window guide removal part. Grab a 1/4" 10mm socket and a allen wrench w/ a 90 degree bend. Put the smaller side of the allen into the back of the socket and u got urself a handy dandy tool. U only need to break the hidden nut loose so that u can take the nut off with ur fingers. Makes door handle removal a quicky

·
Registered
932 Posts
damn and i was gonna post this same how to lol. i did mine today. nice write up cody

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
KH3 + chrome door handles FTL!

Nice writeup, I just peeled off that chrome crap and painted my original handles, it turned out pretty ghetto, I wish I would have just swapped them out like you did. This will help alot for anyone looking to do this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very cool write up. I have to replace my DS front door lock. Does this make it easier to replace the lock? There is no procedure in the FSM for replacing the lock that I could find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts