Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story shot, I was doing the LCA recently and when I got under the vehicle, I discovered the inside wheel and several other components covered in a oil like substance (the texture and smell tells me it may not be oil). The fluid is all over the passenger side components and inner wheel. I delve under to inspect and I simply cannot spot the leak, but can see a spray pattern. It seems as if it's the Power Steering high pressure hose, but I simple cannot tell

So, what do you guys think?? I check the oil and PS fluid and they are all at the correct levels, so I am not sure what else to look at (Its a stick shift, so no tranny fluid)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,335 Posts
PS leak.

If you want to be sure do what I did. Clean it all up with a can of engine clean then wash. Put tracer dye in the PS system and inspect with a black light. It will be obvious where your problem is. I use tracer dye for everything.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey everybody,

My 99 p11 was leaking power steering fluid as well. I was topping off every couple of weeks; dripping into the front passenger tires, arms, linkage and the street is not a good thing as you can imagine. So I figured it was the HIGH PRESSURE hose with the banjo end because that seems to be the common culprit around this forum. However, I noticed the old, greasy bits on other parts of the line as well. So here's what I did to diagnose the problem:

Clean up all lines really well. Under and around the reservoir all the way to the high pressure line (rear engine). No old grease or dirt chunks visible. Several blue shop towels can be used to do this job. Now pay attention to the CLAMPS that are used to tighten each end of the line (reservoir area). They may be cracked or LOOSE. Under old steering grease or dirt this wasn't possible to see visibly. Tighten each clamp and if it's damaged, go to your local auto parts store, harbor freight, .99 store, Lowes, etc. to replace clamps.

Half a year later, not a single drop of power steering fluid has leaked. I have solved my power steering fluid leak; the hose clamps were bad and/or loose.

Your situation may be different, but follow the old adage: Solve and diagnose problems from the most simplest and inexpensive, to the most complex and expensive.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had the same issue. Degreased, cleaned, checked for leaks and it ended up being the power steering rack leaking into the boot and slinging it. Pray to the Infiniti gods you don't have the same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.