Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had a problem with their HS CAI in the wet? Living in the UK we get a helluva lot of rain and I've looked at where the filter goes and it doesnt seem to be too wet but I was looking for somebody who has tried it..

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Rich.

·
Registered
859 Posts
me is in the UK and as posted in your Primera guys in the UK thread, I'll have one fitted soon, Kev Shek had one for a while and as he is up North where it always rains, he didn't have any probs, but as a precaution I would get the AEM bpv

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, Az is about the driest place on earth (well, almost) but we do get heavy monsoon rains in the late summer months, I have yet to even come cloes to having any water enter my filter. Water would have to be almost to the sidemarker on the front bumper before it would start sucking water. Im not near my car at the moment, but I'd say that'd be around a foot or so off the pavement, that's a LOT of water. I could see it hydrolocking through a dip in the road, if you weren't paying attention, but if you drive smart, it shouldn't be an issue, unless you get extremely bad floods on a regular basis where the water is at least a foot or so deep, then you'd probably want to either invest in the aem bpv or just go with a jwt pop charger instead.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have had the HS CAI with the Wolf POP Charger for almost 2 years and here in Hotlanta(Atlanta) we get some pretty heavy rain at times with some serious puddles. So far (knock on wood) no problems. I try to avoid the big ones but sometimes I have not other choice but to go through them. Like to other guy said the water would have to be pretty deep to cause damage. I was also told that the piping would have to be all the way in the water for the engin to suck up the water. I have thaught about the bypass thing but I guess I am too cheap!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm sure that if you are driving in a foot of water, you'll be worried alot more about other things than the filter sucking water... but be safe and get the BPV anyways. You don't have to be driving in a flood to get water in the engine. If your car was parked during a flood, water is still stuck in the filter after the flood dries up... some kid with an integra that i know, drove his car after the flood dried up and still got water damage. Then again it was only a few hours after the flood dried a bit so its not like water will stay there forever!

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
i have sucked water into my damn engine. i had an eclipse with a cai, and durring a monsoon storm the road flooded and in just one second my car died and the engine had to be replaced (short block) which totalled $6000. a by pass valve was not made back then so i had no protection, but i don't really know how good those bpv's work. just be carefull. btw i took the intake off and put the original back on before my insurance adjuster looked at it and my insurance paid for the new engine, but that was just luck i think.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bypass valve on order, thanx for the comments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts