Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Huge Problem, Please Help!

4K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  Greenless 
#1 ·
Hi all...

This is my first post here, yep I'm a newb, but I really need some help. I'm low on money, stranded about 400 miles away from home, and have no idea whats going on with my car.

First, before I explain the problem I really need help with this... I took my car to 3 autozones, 1 tire kingdom, and one other mechanic to run the OBD II code on my car (CEL is on). NONE of their scanners would turn on. Nothing came up... I checked EVERY SINGLE FUSE in my car, 3 times over again... and none of them are blown, why the hell is this happening?!

Second, here is the problem with my car... since I can't get a fault code, I can't diagnose and everyone else is having a hard time as well... my car will start... and then die over and over again. It will start completely and then the idle will bog out. After starting 5 times I can get it moving... once its in drive it will shake, and then die... I slam on the accelerator and nothing happens. I go through this several times, put the car on nuetral and restart... finally it will stay on and only to bog out again... and then once I finally get it running I have to slam on the accelerator in an attempt to keep the car going....

I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel injector.... I don't know if its the Fuel Pressure regulator, MAF, fuel pump, spark plug/wires/etc... I really need some help here. Please, if anyone has had experience with this or has the slightest idea what might be going on with the fuel system or the OBDII, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help ahead of time...

See less See more
#2 ·
What year is the car? No cel at all? It almost sounds like safe mode but you should have a cel on. If it were me I'd be looking at a maf.

#3 ·
Sorry I should've put that on here...

Its a 2000 G20 Automatic.

And yea the CEL IS on... thats the part that I don't understand... no one with an OBDII reader is getting anything! And also, the engine compartment smells of gas when I crank it for the first time in the morning.

#4 ·
You should post where you're at currently. Maybe someone close by can help, swap in a 2000-2002 maf & see if that helps. That's where I'd be leaning.

#7 ·
Theyre connecting it to the port under the steering wheel... its the right port I know that much....

The spark plugs were changed less than a year ago... they're NGK iridium and I'm pretty sure the firing order is fine... because I havent touched the wires and this is a problem that only started after a long 400 mile drive from Miami to Gainesville.

#8 ·
Never heard of the obd2 crapping out. I broke the plug on my maf & it seemed to have similar problems. Swapping a maf in is a 5 minute job. 4 10mm bolts & some monkeying with the air box. ;)

#9 ·
Hmmm....This is a predicament. Are you in a parking lot trying to fix this at 3am? If so I'd be more worried about where you are going to sleep, or find something to keep you occupied if you are going to pull an all nighter.

Do you have any basic hand tools with you?

#10 ·
I appreciate it man, I'll give it a shot. Sorry for all the questions... I'm seriously low on money... and have no idea wtf to do. Can I try a MAF cleaner or something? If I should clean it... do you recommend a cleaner? And... last question hah... how much does the part usually cost?

#11 ·
lol... I found somewhere to crash... long story short... I moved here from Miami to go to school, I only came up to pay for classes, sign a lease... go to a job interview etc... but have no house basically until the 20th. I was supposed to be headed back home tom. night but if I don't fix this it aint happening! And to answer your question... I'm literally in the parking lot... with the one screw driver I have in hand, connected to someones network on a laptop with a 35 percent charge... FML. hah.

#16 ·
All the reason not to try & clean it if you dont know what you're doing. MAFs are like most ladies, "Hyper-Sensitive", mess with it the wrong way & it'll def be bad. Should be about a hundred bucks.

#19 ·
Black thing hooked to the airbox. squared end connecting it with the center being round. You could try if you want but I'd try my best to find someone closeby that can help out.

#21 · (Edited)
The MAF is inside that plastic housing need the star shaped tools with a hole in the middle to get it out

does sound like a MAF issue though.. or thats where I'd start atleast. I have a 2000 and my car would sputter and die when my MAF went south.. had to keep giving it gas to keep it alive at stops.. was not a fun issue

#27 ·
seems like something else other than the maf is/could be bad as well.

unplugging the maf will send it into safe mode, meaning it will bypass the maf and the car should idle but be limited.

so at this point something else is causing the hesitation, and im not sure what, hopefullly someone else could chime in as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.