Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my motor hydrolocked up in a car wash recently but started up perfectly after i let it sit for a couple of minutes. This happend last tuesday but now my car is ideling funny. The peddle gas peddle feels like jello not being as responsive and the engine makes a faint whomping sound as the motor drops RPMS. I checked all the sensors, vacum hoses and i even sprayed some carb cleaner in the spark plug holes to try and dry it up(this if water was still in it since it happend last tuesday). My car is still ideling funny but im thinking what if I got bottom end damage from the water or if the compression is off in a cylinder. If this happend doesnt this mean im going to be needing a new motor?

2,438 Posts
So my motor hydrolocked up in a car wash recently but started up perfectly after i let it sit for a couple of minutes. This happend last tuesday but now my car is ideling funny. The peddle gas peddle feels like jello not being as responsive and the engine makes a faint whomping sound as the motor drops RPMS. I checked all the sensors, vacum hoses and i even sprayed some carb cleaner in the spark plug holes to try and dry it up(this if water was still in it since it happend last tuesday). My car is still ideling funny but im thinking what if I got bottom end damage from the water or if the compression is off in a cylinder. If this happend doesnt this mean im going to be needing a new motor?
check your valves. i've heard of valves warping when the metal comes into contact with cold water.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah ill most likely get a compression test tomorrow. I just dont get what can be wrong with it now since all this happend last tuesdayand its now sunday. I mean the water that went through to my knowledge wasnt much and From what ive read a 2.0 needs a gallon of water to hydrolock. mine did lock up but it started up just as normal only second later. But now all kinds of crap is going on with my car so i dont know if changeing oil or anything would even help.shouldnt all the water the water that was in there be evaporated gone by now? Im going to change my oil tomorrow but i dont think its going to really do much for my problem since it was almost a week ago that i got water in my CAI. Im beggining to believe that maybe the compression is off in a cylinder or my distributor got screwed up but i dont know how that would happend. but from what ive read it seems to get messed up with hydrolocking. anybody got advice??? plz its much needed

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Washing your car cant hydrolock the engine unless you're like pouring the water into open spark plug holes or something like that.

You probably fried a circuit in a sensor. Have you checked the spark plugs themselves. Sometimes if you do that, it can crack the plugs. Which will make the car run real bad. Check for cracked plugs

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
Washing your car cant hydrolock the engine unless you're like pouring the water into open spark plug holes or something like that.

You probably fried a circuit in a sensor. Have you checked the spark plugs themselves. Sometimes if you do that, it can crack the plugs. Which will make the car run real bad. Check for cracked plugs
It was an automatic car wash and he has a full cai. He said his fender liner was messed up so it wasnt on the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed the spark plugs last night though and its still acting up. im wondering if my Distributor is out because im expirienceing the symptoms of it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You need a ridiculous amount of water to hydrolock an engine. It would have to be almost completely submerged so i doubt thats your problem.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
It was an automatic car wash and he has a full cai. He said his fender liner was messed up so it wasnt on the car.
unless he was revving the hell out of the car while it was automatically going around then I dont see how it can get hydrolocked. Where I'm from you shut the car off when its in an auto wash.. i dont get it. When was the last time you had a tune up? Check your maf and check to make sure your CAI is nice and tight

·
Registered
509 Posts
what does your oil look like? checked that lately?
my car did this when the bottom seal on my number two injector went bad. injector was pissing gas into my engine.

it's a long shot but no harm checking. at least you'll get new oil out of the deal

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Just like I said in the other thread like this. Its a P11 so its probably the MAF, but you should test it first & if you dont know how, have a professional do it

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
it was a drive through car wash... ya know the 1's you have to drive the car through?? anyway i been messing with the car all day and im just going to submit it as a claim to my insurance. I checked the oil and its still same color.... I got a oil change about 8k miles ago and i used the Mobile1 full synthetic guarateed for 15000 miles.i checked the distributor, ignition wires, spark plugs cleaned all sensors, checked the maf, Iacv Valve, checked all vacum lines. im stumped..... only thing i can think of is damamge to the motor internally or a warped valve inside the motor. the car is partially misfireing because each time i hear a faint whomp sound the RPMS drop. also when i do hit the gas on the car it seems to me if i go over 4 rpm its going to blow. i swear the motor feels like its on edge or under stress like if i let the RPMS go to high the motor is going to blow. Hydrolocked or not all i know is that when i hit the gas to get through the car wash the car stalled out and when i tryed turning it on after it did not start till minutes later. I did not rev the motor up high as i drove through either i just lightly pressed on it. either way water caused the damage i just dont know what damage or how it caused it.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
what on the distributor did you check? the coil? I would still hope for something with the dizzy before i go pulling the head and all that. a bad coil could cause all those symptoms as well as bad electrical on the dizzy. any locals to you that might do a quick swap with you to test the distributor?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Sounds like a bad plug wire or sensor (when the car won't rev over 3-4 k it is called safe mode). but yah submit a claim to your insurance company why not..

Mike

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I will agree with Grimsta on this one. There is no way your engine is hydrolocked. You would of had to submerge the intake in water. You seem to be focused on this, and it's just not so.
You have water logged some part of your engine control system. The most likely candidates would be a wet air cleaner element, or a distributor cap with carbon tracking. Carbon tracking can occur inside or outside on a cap. It is caused by excessive moisture. It looks like black lines on a red distributor cap. On a black one it's hard to see. I would replace the cap and rotor, and make sure everything inside looks dry.
You state you have checked the MAF and other devices, but you don't tell us how. You may be checking incorrectly.

Also, Mobil 1 is good for 7000 miles on a mostly highway miles car, but certainly not 15,000 miles. I don't care what Mobil 1 claims, it is bad practice.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
+2 on the your not hydrolocked. I'm betting MAF issue. Your not running an AEM dryflow are you? Those things turn to mush when they get wet. Also are you throwing any codes. You might have messed up your crank position sensor. Goodluck and keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts