Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is one of the never ending disputes me an my friends go through everyday :rambo:. I drive the Nissan an they drive their Toyotas, one drives a Supra and the other one drives a Celica and their really big fans of the 3S-GTE engine which is one of Toyotas popular inline fours. We alway argue about which engines better the their engine or my engine which would have to be the SR20DET.

3S-GTE SR20DET

2.0 L in-line 4 2.0 L inline 4
16 valves per cylinder 16 valves per cylinder
88-90 190hbs BB DET 205-210hbs
GTiR DET 225hbs
180-190 tourque not sure??

I dont know I dont have all my shit straightend out to fully compare these two engines but I could tell you one thing. "even tho some of you wont like this idea but the engines seen to be the same" both engines have awd capabilaties. Im not sure but same displacement an many other things in commen.
I know that the 3S-GE varies in horse power like mad because in Japan every year they raised the comprassion ration, the engine started out wit 135hbs an it ended up wit like 170hbs

I have to run.... i finish this some other time. Let me know where i have gone wrong an set me straight.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I don't see the point in doing this. :-\ You can't get a 3S-GTE in a G20 nor would I want to swap one in. The DET would be easier. ;)

Truth of the matter is they are both really good motors. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Although with the Silvia being HUGE in japan I'd say the DET might have an edge in aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt post this point as in swapin that toyota pile of junk in my car i did it to compare engines to see what else is on the raod an what we must face, fight an beat. I prefer the DET over the GTE anyday of the week

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Fabius said:
i didnt post this point as in swapin that toyota pile of junk in my car i did it to compare engines to see what else is on the raod an what we must face, fight an beat.
I didn't know we were at war! :confused:

I know why you posted that. I was making jokes. What are you expecting? Most people here are more familure with the DET so of course 90% of us will like it better. I still think they are on equal ground.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll take the DET, especially the one on S15, something like 247 hp car. I've seen the Asian market(Hong Kong) Celica comes with 190 stock, that's really good for a 1.8 L car. Both engines are good, just the DET has better potential to get more power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I hear, in the MKII MR2, the 3S-GTE has a problem with pushing too much air into the #3 cylinder, wreaking all kinds of havoc on that motor. I know that the 3S is a proven engine, being put in all manner of cars from Celicas to Supras (race). While the DET has been known to push out 750hp (JUN Hyper Lemon Silvia), I wouldn't put it past the 3S to have that much. I think that the two have such similarities, that it would be hard to say which is actually better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 750hp DET is true, but the 3S-GTE has been proven too...i think like 750hp also in the Top Secret Supra. They use those engines in the JGTC300 in japan cuz its lighter and provides better weight ratio than the big JZZA80. Also , the 3rd cylinder dosent get enough air, I believe, is because this engine was mounted in the rear of the MR-2's so there was no direct airflow into the engine. Sum1 said too much air, and maybe thats true on the earlier MR-2's. Otherwise, it wouldnt have that problem. The 96 3s-GTE's provided 210hp @ 205 torque. I think at 8psi...not too sure on that.. 3s-GTE is considerd one of the best 4 cylinder engines.. next to the beloved SR20DET of course!! :p

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think this topic should be left to engineers, if anyone here is one i'm not sure. But lots of engines can put out similar power and torque and whatnot. But if you really want to look at which engine is better we should really be looking at things like thermal and volumetric efficiency, stress capabilities, and common problems. Just my .02

·
Registered
159 Posts
Comparison

Both engines are awesome. I am working on a buddy's MR2 Turbo today so this is funny that this post is up. I will have both engines in front of my house in a couple minutes. Anyways, both engines put out 250 in stock form. The newer GT-4 had 250, and I believe some MR2's in Japan with that engine also had 245hp. I have seen several clips touting this strength.

http://www.venus-auto.com/engine/toyota/engine.htm

Having also researched both engines a lot, I would have to say that the Nissan engine has a larger aftermarket following. It is hard to find good priced parts for the 3S. Also, if you have a 4wd celica, good luck finding a replacement transmission. The MR2 is not so bad, but the Alltrak was very rare.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Both engines are great engine. The SR20DET has many variations too *DET, VET anyone?* and does hold a larger aftermarket, simply on the fact that it sits in the uber-drift car Silvia. The 3S-GTE is still a great motor and you can't really say it's a pile of crap.

The SR20DET and 3S-GTE are up there with the great four cylinders of the world *in my order of preference*:

1) Nissan SR20DET *and variants*
2) Mitsubishi 4G63
3) Toyota 3S-GTE *and variants*
4) Subaru EJ20
5) Honda B-series (and variants)

:p

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So do Eclipse GSTs and GSXs. :p Too bad they're too heavy to make really really good use of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep...but I believe the Eclipse's use the 'weaker' version of the 4G63..i mean only 220hp but the lancer is 276hp. GSX is nice cuz of the all wheel drive....sweet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMHO

I've never driven a SR20DET so I can't speak to that engine. However, I have owned a AWD Plymouth Laser (same as Eclipse), and a ST165 Celica All-Trac. I have yet to find a more robust engine in stock form than the Mitsu. With intake, 3 inch catless exhaust, and 13PSI of boost the car was a mad man. (Raise your hand if you love the sound of a good blow off valve). On the other hand, the All-Trac required more maintenance than my ex-wife. So I'd say hands down the Mitsu takes that competition. As for the Turbo Nissan... I can't wait to find out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ehem...(Raising hand)..pshhhhh..pssstttt...vrooooooommmm... pssssttt....gotta love turbo. Was ur plymoth thingy an AWD drive? Or juss front. Eclipses are some niicce rides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, it was a 1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD... The exact same thing as a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. It was a cool ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts